Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a strop?  (Read 1935 times)

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
Can anyone recommend a strop?
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:20:59 PM »
Can anyone with experience using different strops recommend a strop and strop compound?

I'm tired of dealing with knives that I always feel should be just a bit sharper...especially in the kitchen, there's nothing worse than rolling a knife edge over the skin of a tomato.  I'm buying the Work Sharp sharpener this month and I want to start doing this right, I want to strop my knives.

I'll be sharpening the entire set of kitchen knives, a spyderco tenacious, a mora, Ka-Bar Becker BK2....and whatever else I pick up in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=17G1NUTN4JHKL&coliid=I1L8XLG4HQZTHI

nelson96

Re: Can anyone recommend a strop?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
Any scrap piece of leather (rough side up) sized accordingly to the knife lengths you want to strop will do just fine.  Glue it to a block of wood and add a common jeweler's rouge.

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »
I very much like the strop system from the-knife-connection, i find it works incredibly well fr me and the portability kit is quite nice
http://www.the-knife-connection.com/tkc-stropstickkit-sheath.html

There are are lots of strops out there but i reccommend taking a look at this. I have ordered from them a few times and have gotten A+ service.

-Practice until you get it right, train until you can't get it wrong.
-"You will live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension." N. Tesla

Offline kid_couteau

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:14:11 AM »
Hi All

I made mine.

I used a piece of vegetable tanned leather about 10 ounces thick.

Glued it to a piece of black walnut about 3" wide by 10" long. Smooth side up.

I rubbed 3 in 1 oil into it and then rubbed rouge colored buffing compound into it.

Works good for me.
Kid

Offline Lamewolf

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »
I make my own !  Go to hobby Lobby and buy a bag of leather scraps or use an old leather belt and glue a piece of it to a wooden paint paddle.  Then go to Harbour Freight and buy a stick of their green metal polish (it looks like a big green crayon) and rub that into the leather.  Now you got yourself a nice strop.  I even made a small one to put in my kit by cutting a wooden 12 inch ruler in half and put the leather on the back of it.  Now I have a 6 inch ruler and a strop in my kit !

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
I use my belt
Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 08:39:42 AM »
I use a heavy canvas strap from a load tie down from a big truck and automotive VALVE GRINDING COMPOUND...I am on a budget and this works.
Why is it that the same people who use science to convince you of Global Warming,refuse DNA Science that proves you are male or female.

Government solves few problems that it does not first create.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Online iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 12:40:32 PM »
Since watching Patrick Roehrman's Beyond Razor Sharp I have been trying newspaper as a final step.  It is working great.