Author Topic: Tips for a new shooter?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline BillyS

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • Scarydad
Tips for a new shooter?
« on: August 19, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »
Hello there everybody!

I bought a Samick Stingray http://www.lancasterarchery.com/samick-stingray-58-recurve-bow.html yesterday. I've shot this bow on a few occasions when hanging out with the guy I bought it from, but that's the extent of my archery knowledge.

I would like to get into the sport as a hobby. At this point I'm as newbie as they come and am just going to set up a target in the backyard and start flinging arrows at it. If I get good, I may consider hunting in the future, but for now it's just for fun.

Any tips for a new shooter? Top 5 mistakes new archers make? Recommended stances? Sighting without sights?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated, or if this subject has already been discussed, a link to there. (I read a lot of the forum pages last night but haven't come across a specific shooting tips one yet...)

Thanks!!!

Edit: Also, what's the best way to store the bow when not in use?
Check out my website: www.scarydad.com
Halloween and Horror themed DIY

Offline Absit

• Prepper
Re: Tips for a new shooter?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »
Find your local archery club, hit up some archery forums, and find a mentor.  Any trad shooter will likely be happy to help you learn and give you invaluable help that we on a forum can just not give.  I'm new myself and my method was find a local archery club and I found a pretty respected mentor on the tradtalk forums.
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.

Offline preparadox

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 06:47:12 PM »
The club near me does monthly shoots that are open to the public. I just started shooting a month ago and getting out there that first time was great. I got to wander the outdoor 3D range with one of the guys and he was giving me tips as we went along. If had gone with my original plan of just shooting in my grandparents backyard without having gotten those initial tips, I'd probably still be whacking my elbow with the string.

Offline Jim H

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 05:51:23 PM »
+1 on visiting a local archery club. Archers, especially traditional ones, tend to bend over backwards to help new archers willing to listen.

I'd recommend starting without sights, then after you have that down maybe consider sights. An instinctive shooter can learn sites pretty quick, the reverse is not true.

Learning instinctive (no sights) is conceptually like learning how to throw a football. Your mind has to process distance and arc, so don't bother trying to learn at night (but once you get the hang of it illuminocks are fun).

Start close, maybe 10 yards or so, and shoot 3 at a time (more than that and you risk damaging arrows). When you regularly get an acceptable group back up a bit. If you find yourself scattering arrows all over move back in. If you get tired, stop for the day - once you are spent you won't learn anything.

Have fun!
Jim H

NRA Life Member
SASS Life Member "Tracker Jim"

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 07:30:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/user/jeff2008lucywill

Jeff has a LOT of great info on his channel.

Offline flyfisher66048

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:07:40 PM »
Shooting a recurve is not that hard.  You only have to do a few things right.  Draw the bow the same distance, anchor at the same point, aim correctly and release the string perfectly.  Welcome to spending the rest of your life trying to perfect that simple thing.  Lol

I recommend a book called "be the arrow" by Byron ferguson.  He teaches using the point of the arrow as an aimpoint then learning the gap at the various distances.  This worked much better for me than just trying to shoot instinctive.  Once you get a consistent draw you shoot at various distances until you find the distance where the arrow impacts at the tip of the arrow.  Distances closer you hold the tip below the target the correct amount.  Distances past that point you hold the point above the target. 

I also recommend  a draw length clicker.  Once set up it clicks when you reach the correct draw length.  That reduces one variable and helps you draw to a consistent length. 

Good luck