Author Topic: In search of the greatest EDC folder!  (Read 16173 times)

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
Re: In search of the greatest EDC folder!
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 11:00:22 AM »
I just upgraded my dress carry to a ZT 0566.  The Kershaw leek is too small, I would nick my palm if opening in a hurry.  The zt is just big enough to not do that plus still small enough to sit in the pocket nice.

I have lost 60ish pounds over the last year, and have found that I am now into sizes where the pocket openings are considerably smaller.  It is impossible to get my wallet in/out of my front pocket with the big zt clipped in place. 

Offline Mark Shadow

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2015, 02:48:13 AM »
Well price is a factor....Chris Reeve, Zero Tolerance, Lion Steel, etc.

Best Budget Folder:  I have been messing with a Sanrenmu from Amazon for about $12.00. At that price point it is  quite a value.

Best Folder at the "not too expensive" price:  Spyderco Endura.  Big and tough enough that it has tactical applications.  Light enough you forget that it  is in your pocket.  Decent steel.  Comes in lots of colors too.

YMMV

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »
Kershaw/Emerson CQC has the super sweet wave feature and is a bargain. My Buck Vantage carries lower and easier, but the wave feature is just too nice once you get spoiled by it. Both are great knives for real use.

Offline DheereCrossing

• Prepper
  • Who am I again?
    • OMG Leatherworks
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 05:52:43 PM »
Depends on your intended use.  If you believe Cody Wranglerstar, it's the Benchmade 940 - hard to argue for those who understand a $200 pocketknife.

Out of all my knifes, I carry a Spyderco Manbug.  It fits in the coin pocket nicely, doesn't get me in trouble, opens boxes, cuts apples, etc.. all I need for working in an office doing computer support and inventory control.  It has the Japanese VG-10 steel and a solid lockback.  Anything bigger and it becomes noticeable to me (heavy, pokes me when sitting down).

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 02:28:24 AM »
I bet you're the guy that always starts the 9mm vs 45ACP debate. :)

I carry a SAK Pioneer Alox, but I'm in an office environment on a military base.  Someday, I'll upgrade to a SAK Farmer Alox to get the saw blade.

For a working blade, the Kershaw "Needs Work" is pretty nice.  A little thick in the handle for dress slacks, but a good grip and hard working blade.

If I had the $$$, there would be a Zero Tolerance folder in my pockets.  Those are some nice looking blades and everyone I know that has one raves about it.
People still use the whimp 9MM???

LOL

(Sorry, it was there I had to say it)

Steve
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 02:59:37 AM by Steve Cover »

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 02:49:26 AM »
Discuss   :)

I know there are other topics that are like this on here but I thought I would refresh and look for new feedback.... whats new and good what old and true..

Thanks

Shaun
Hi Shaun,

Like what already has been asked… What reason are you carrying it?

For many years my EDC was a Buck 110 Folding hunter.
I roughed up the left side of the blade so I could open it one handed.

Easy access was a problem until I had my wife sew a sheath to the inside of the right rear pocket of my jeans.

The design allows full use of the pocket and presents the knife for easy reach without having to play with snaps or a flap.

As you can see, it was used as a tool not a weapon.

This configuration proved very handy,

For the few times I carried a knife for protection instead of my 357 Magnum, a different knife was chosen.

This is the full size Applegate/Fairbairn folding fighting knife.

The Applegate has a thumb knob on the blade and is easy opening.
Once open there is a locking mechanism that keeps the blade locked in the open position.

When I wore this knife, I also wore a light weight Jack-Shirt that covered my rear pockets.
This way I was not advertising that I had a knife but a quick swipe of the hand could bring it out in a hurry if need be,

Steve