Author Topic: Pistol crossbows?  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Pistol crossbows?
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:57:08 PM »
has anyone had good luck with these? what use have you put them to? Do they deserve a spot in your kit?

thanks

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Pistol crossbows?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
All the ones I've seen or used are basically novelties, good for plinking at cans about 10ft away, or maybe a dart board with the proper bolt, and not much else.

I haven't seen any that would be useful for defense or hunting, or even pest control, though I haven't really looked.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:56:34 PM »
All the ones I've seen or used are basically novelties, good for plinking at cans about 10ft away, or maybe a dart board with the proper bolt, and not much else.

I haven't seen any that would be useful for defense or hunting, or even pest control, though I haven't really looked.
+1
My son-in-law bought one a couple of years ago.
Just a dart shooter for very close range targets.

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
An alternative would be a slingbow.  There are high hopes that the rambone slingbow concept plays out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFoZcMhgyK8

Offline MarkL99

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 05:38:45 AM »
I have one I picked up for ten dollars at a flea market.  80 pound pull fun for around the house plinking at targets but not much else.
A Constitution of Governement once changed from Freedom can never be restored.  Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.--John Adams

Offline TwoXForr

• Prepper
    • Stories from the Mind* and Keyboard of A.A. Forringer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 01:25:17 PM »
I have one, the plastic bolts sometime shatter when they hit hard surfaces, the metal ones are a little more serious and from 10 to 15 feet away can get an inch or so into a pine log. 

My friend did a little expermint and filled one metal bolt with wood glue and I would not want to get his with this thing.   

I think they would be effective in taking squirrels in an urban enviroment where the squirrels let you get relativly close. 
Writer, LEO

endurance

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 02:27:20 PM »
I had one from Sharper Image when I was 19. Cool?  Yes. Useful for a prep item, not at all. Accuracy to the size of game it could reasonably take wasn't there. Could I hit a rabbit at 15'?  Probably, but I could not guarantee my point of impact and might damage a lot of meat in the process.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 02:36:13 AM »
I have since sold off mine, didn't offer me anything. It couldn't hit a small game animal at 7 paces.

Offline MonsterBeetle

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 04:25:35 AM »
I've had a 80lb self-cocking pistol crossbow for a while. It's certainly not a toy and can be pretty accurate up to 10m or so. Certainly enough to take out squirrels if you wanted. There are quite a few different models out there so I assume some are better than others (I'm based in the UK so hunting with crossbows or bows is illegal so it's just used for target).

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it but as a self-defence tool you're more likely to seriously annoy someone rather than incapacitate them.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 06:03:57 AM »
The pistol /crossbow with the fly swatter bolts is the most fun /hunting tool.
Why is it that the same people who use science to convince you of Global Warming,refuse DNA Science that proves you are male or female.

Government solves few problems that it does not first create.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.