Author Topic: Pistol crossbows?  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Pistol crossbows?
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:57:08 PM »
has anyone had good luck with these? what use have you put them to? Do they deserve a spot in your kit?

thanks

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Pistol crossbows?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
All the ones I've seen or used are basically novelties, good for plinking at cans about 10ft away, or maybe a dart board with the proper bolt, and not much else.

I haven't seen any that would be useful for defense or hunting, or even pest control, though I haven't really looked.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:56:34 PM »
All the ones I've seen or used are basically novelties, good for plinking at cans about 10ft away, or maybe a dart board with the proper bolt, and not much else.

I haven't seen any that would be useful for defense or hunting, or even pest control, though I haven't really looked.
+1
My son-in-law bought one a couple of years ago.
Just a dart shooter for very close range targets.

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
An alternative would be a slingbow.  There are high hopes that the rambone slingbow concept plays out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFoZcMhgyK8

Offline MarkL99

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 05:38:45 AM »
I have one I picked up for ten dollars at a flea market.  80 pound pull fun for around the house plinking at targets but not much else.
A Constitution of Governement once changed from Freedom can never be restored.  Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.--John Adams

Offline TwoXForr

• Prepper
    • Stories from the Mind* and Keyboard of A.A. Forringer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 01:25:17 PM »
I have one, the plastic bolts sometime shatter when they hit hard surfaces, the metal ones are a little more serious and from 10 to 15 feet away can get an inch or so into a pine log. 

My friend did a little expermint and filled one metal bolt with wood glue and I would not want to get his with this thing.   

I think they would be effective in taking squirrels in an urban enviroment where the squirrels let you get relativly close. 
Writer, LEO

endurance

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 02:27:20 PM »
I had one from Sharper Image when I was 19. Cool?  Yes. Useful for a prep item, not at all. Accuracy to the size of game it could reasonably take wasn't there. Could I hit a rabbit at 15'?  Probably, but I could not guarantee my point of impact and might damage a lot of meat in the process.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 02:36:13 AM »
I have since sold off mine, didn't offer me anything. It couldn't hit a small game animal at 7 paces.

Offline MonsterBeetle

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 04:25:35 AM »
I've had a 80lb self-cocking pistol crossbow for a while. It's certainly not a toy and can be pretty accurate up to 10m or so. Certainly enough to take out squirrels if you wanted. There are quite a few different models out there so I assume some are better than others (I'm based in the UK so hunting with crossbows or bows is illegal so it's just used for target).

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it but as a self-defence tool you're more likely to seriously annoy someone rather than incapacitate them.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 06:03:57 AM »
The pistol /crossbow with the fly swatter bolts is the most fun /hunting tool.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?