Author Topic: Taking gun off/putting gun on throughout day  (Read 13913 times)

Offline Zuplex

• Survivor
    • Grow Engedi
Taking gun off/putting gun on throughout day
« on: February 04, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »
So my job requires me to often make visits to schools. I am brand new to concealed carry, I just recently got my permit, haven't gotten a pistol, belt, or holster yet. To both carry, which I would prefer to do as often as possible, and do my job, which I would like to keep, I would have to disarm myself before stepping out of my vehicle when in the school parking lot.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a holster/pistol combination that I could easily remove, secure in my vehicle, and put back on without doing a wardrobe change in my sedan? I typically wear a tucked-in button-down shirt and long pants for work.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Taking gun off/putting gun on throughout day
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »
A Remora holster can slide in and out easily. I have one and like it. It's not as secure but really helps with on/off ability without having to draw.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 02:37:23 PM »
This is tricky.  You're going to need a routine that prevents you from ever forgetting to disarm.  And also a way to do it that won't cause somebody outside your car to panic and call 911.

I need to figure this out for myself, just because I stop at the Post Office almost every time I leave my home.  In the past, I've put my gun in a locked case in the back of my car before arriving at the PO, and then retrieved it at my next stop.  This is a pain -- and, to be honest, I'm not certain whether it's legal to have a gun in a locked case in the PO parking lot.

Offline CarlD

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »
Ankle holster

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »
Another option is a paddle holster.  As long as you have a decent belt, it shouldn't be a problem

I have two Galco paddle holsters. High quality and they look great.

As to the handgun?  Whatever you feel comfortable with.

I would also suggest a lockable box in your vehicle.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

I once filled the best and brightest of our young men and women with important knowledge. . .now, I just get paid for my opinions.  Ain't Life Grand?

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »
I use a locking box under the driver seat.  It is cabled to the seat frame.  I have just enough play with the cable to slide the box forward to open/close, but not enough to fly into the pedals if I slam on the brakes.  This way I can arm/disarm while sitting in the driver seat.  Having tinted windows in Florida helps!   ;)  This is in a Honda Civic, so if I have room under my seat, I'm sure you will too.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook
AR-15 Multiple Caliber System

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline cabowabo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:05:08 AM »
Keep in mind a few things.
1) The clothing that you already wear.  For instance if you wear a suit Jacket or a regular coat year around it could easily be concealed most of the time and easily taken off when you get to a school.
2) The weapon you carry.  Get the biggest weapon you'll carry on a daily basis.  a .380 in your pocket is better then a .45 in your Safe. 
3) Before you start carrying it near schools, carry it other places like on weekends for a little while, and get used to it.  If you aren't used to having a gun on you, you're going to want to constantly keep touching it.  The thing to keep in mind people are like sheep, they have no situational Awareness in terms of carrying its beautiful.  Cause that Bulge that could be a gun, could be a cell phone too. 

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 06:26:05 AM »
you don't really need to worry about holster/pistol combo, so much as holster. carry whatever pistol you like, feels good, and that you will practice with.

while the professor's suggestion for a paddle holster would probably be the easiest, unless you are wearing a suit jacket/sport coat/jacket it won't conceal very well. the fact that your shirt is tucked in presents and issue as well. i would suggest some form of an IWB (in waist band) holster that allows you to tuck in your shirt. i personally wear the comp-tac infidel ultra and they do have an option for a tuckable clip. they also have their MTAC which offers tuckable clips, so you can tuck your shirt in around them.

crossbreed offers many IWB tuckable options, and then there is the galco line of WIB tuckable holsters. i used to wear a galco king tuk and switched to the comp-tac. the comp tac is the most comfortable holster i've ever tried or worn.

keep in mind those aren't your only options. if you do a google search for IWB tuckable holsters you'll get all of these results. i listed the most prominent ones that came to mind first.

also get yourself a good car safe. i think i use the same same as flippydidit. a gunvault nanovault is perfect for a car. it has a cable to secure it your seat frame. it fits my springfield XD (sub compact) and a spare magazine no problem. i have the 300, so instead of a key the lock is a combo. if you shop around you can find them on sale, i picked up two for $40 a couple years ago. they are also TSA approved so if you fly you can use them to secure your firearms, but make sure you use the cable to lock it around the frame/carry handle inside your luggage! guns get stolen out of luggage.

lastly, how do you disarm safely and discretely in your car? i would suggest only removing your pistol, and leaving your holster on. i've tried taking my holster off and putting it on while sitting in my car, it's a pain, and anything put discrete. if you wear a tucked in shirt, just remove your pistol, secure it, and tuck your shirt back in. if it's tucked it in will cover your holster, no big deal. and if when you get out you have to tuck your shirt in a little better to make it look nice, well, what self respecting man wouldn't want to make himself presentable for work? blouse that shirt! i sometimes go to a private school during the course of my day so i have to disarm at least a few times a week. with this routine i have no issues at all no one is the wiser. that being said, make sure you're not parked right next to someone in a taller vehicle who is staring at you and watching your every move.

lastly, check your local laws about having a gun on school property. in AZ i can only carry onto school property if i have a CCW permit, and even then it has to stay in my car, and if i leave my car it has to be secured. i'm not sure what FL laws are but i would check that to make sure you are legal in that respect.

Offline 11 Bravo

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:36:24 AM »
I use a Fobus paddle holster...
1st-30th Infantry, 3rd Infantry Division

Offline Zuplex

• Survivor
    • Grow Engedi
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 08:05:19 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! Those all sound like good options. I'd prefer to leave the gun in the holster, but thewarriorhunter has a good point that just taking out the gun and leaving the holster is a simple solution. Thanks for the links; I've heard great things about Comp-Tac.

Professor, I haven't considered paddle holsters much. I'll have to look into those.

Mr. Bill, since I carry pepper spray on my keychain, I'm used to disarming before stepping out of my car onto school grounds, but you're right that I'll have to have a mental pause to remember to remove the gun.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 08:26:01 AM »
no problem, i can't say enough good about my comp tac. it was more than i wanted to spend but worth every penny.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »
Or one could upgrade their clothing style to accommodate concealed carry.  Life can be more then tee shirts and cut off jeans.

Leave the land of the redneck construction worker and enter the casual dress world of the gun toting professional.

I began wearing light jackets and sport coats when I began CCW.  In summer I layer an untucked, unbuttoned short sleeved shirt over a tee shirt.

It works with any IWB or paddle holster for frequent on/off situations.

All anyone will notice is that you have upgraded your wardrobe.

One of the things having a CCW has taught me is nobody is really looking!  In all my years of CCW no one has ever noticed the firearm or made a comment and no LEO has asked to see my permit because they spotted the firearm. 

Anything worn over the belt line that veils the pistol will do the job.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 11:55:15 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! Those all sound like good options. I'd prefer to leave the gun in the holster, but thewarriorhunter has a good point that just taking out the gun and leaving the holster is a simple solution. Thanks for the links; I've heard great things about Comp-Tac.

Professor, I haven't considered paddle holsters much. I'll have to look into those.

Mr. Bill, since I carry pepper spray on my keychain, I'm used to disarming before stepping out of my car onto school grounds, but you're right that I'll have to have a mental pause to remember to remove the gun.

I would still recommend the paddle holster.  Here's why:

From what I understand, it is illegal to have a firearm on school property or within 1000 feet of it.

If you have an IWB that is attached to the belt and you remove the pistol, leaving the holster. . .what happens if someone sees the holster?  It looks like the Crossbreed suggested by thewarriorhunter requires you thread the belt through the loops.

The CompTac, however, looks like you can remove the whole thing. 

Personally, I prefer outside-the-waistband holsters. As others have pointed out, you do have to dress differently, but that's what you have to do if you want to protect yourself.  It's a trade-off forced by the law.

Just practice a lot if you choose an IWB.  In my experience, they're a bit more difficult to draw from quickly and under stress.

Just some suggestions.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

I once filled the best and brightest of our young men and women with important knowledge. . .now, I just get paid for my opinions.  Ain't Life Grand?

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 12:07:43 PM »
I use an IWB holster and merely unholster the gun and secure it in the vehicle when I have to go inside the school.  CO law specifically allows CCW in vehicles on school grounds.  The holster remains concealed.

The 1000ft law is a Bill Clinton feel-good federal law.  It is generally unenforced and directly contravened by many state laws as in CO.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 01:13:20 PM »
same in AZ, i can have a gun in my car in a school parking lot, but i cannot exit my vehicle with it unless i have written permission from the principle.

If you have an IWB that is attached to the belt and you remove the pistol, leaving the holster. . .what happens if someone sees the holster?  It looks like the Crossbreed suggested by thewarriorhunter requires you thread the belt through the loops.

The CompTac, however, looks like you can remove the whole thing. 

Just practice a lot if you choose an IWB.  In my experience, they're a bit more difficult to draw from quickly and under stress.

a lot of IWB holster will offer multiple retention options, some have belt loops, others have clips. you can usually pick what you want when you order. i need to pick up a tuckable clip for my comp tac but haven't done it yet because i can put my TCP in my pocket if i need too.

and yes, they are more difficult because you have to make sure you clear your clothing. it is something to practice and develop muscle memory for. that tends to be the trade off with concealment: the more concealed you go the longer/harder it is to get the pistol out if you need it. i OC with a paddle holster and that is super easy to clear because nothing is in the way.

nelson96

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »
I typically wear a tucked-in button-down shirt.

Me too and I wanted an uber concealable EDC holster. . . .  I chose a chest holster I bought from WRB Sales for $40.  It offers a 5" elastic band with velcro closure that includes an adjustable/removable thumb snap retention.  It also offers an adjustable strap that goes over one shoulder to keep the elastic band from creeping down and slots for two spare mags opposite of the holster.  I wear it over my t-shirt and under my dress shirt.  The pistol is fitted to my side under my arm pit.  Only downside is I have to stay alert in the event of an incident so I have time to either rip my shirt open or simply pop one button to reach in and grab it.  Up side is that I can carry wearing only a shirt and you can't tell I'm carrying from any angle, sitting or standing.  I EDC a Beretta Nano (9mm) but occasionally carry my Glock 22 (.40) which fits fine in it too.

Pictured below is their waistband holster which is virtually identical to mine except mine is intended to ride higher (around the chest) and includes the strap that goes over the shoulder.

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 03:47:15 AM »
I began carrying a glock 27 in a Desnatis SuperFly in a cargo pocket, which 99% of my regularly worn pants and shorts have. It's the easiest on and off. If I had to drop my weapon in my vehicle, very often, I'd likely default back to this method. Although my IWB holster is easy to put on and take off, once the pistol is out of it. It's not as subtly while doing so, being drawing the weapon is part of the process.
USMC MP '93-'00  NRA Life Member  GOA Member  Oath Keeper
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”
- Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 04:48:49 AM »
I have 3 main holsters I use off duty, a blackhawk cqc paddle holster, a galco iwb (non-tuckable), and and ankle holster. All but the ankle holster will fit both my glock 22, and glock 27. The ankle holster fits just the 27. Were I to have to remove my gun before going in a  certain location, and I had to dress as you do, I would go for the ankle holster. The paddle holster is the most comfortable, but you have to be wearing something loose that can drape over it. A non-tuckable IWB is in the same boat.

I have one other gun that I carry off duty, ornasna back-up, and that is a bond arms derringer, which I just put in a pocket.

I don't know what the frequency that you are going into schools is, but If it is several times a day, I would just put my gun in the console.

While a tuckable iwb would be the most concealable, it still sounds like you will get aggravated having to untuc an anyi

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 06:56:06 AM »
     Here in Wisconsin, it is illegal to have a firearm in your possession on school property or within 1000 ft. of school property, regardless if you have a permit. I have yet to hear of any prosecutions under these restrictions. There is a grocery store right across the road from the school I taught at. I'm sure plenty of the customers and vehicles in thei lot had firearms (rural area). For most of the years I taught, I had a firearm (unloaded and cased) secured in my vehicle. It was only when the exclusion zone law was passed that I was breaking the law.
     I carry a .380 in a pocket holster that is easy to remove and secure if I need to enter a "no weapons" area. Of course, I'm still breaking the law if I shop for groceries at that market. I've always wondered what would happen if I park around the corner from a school and I didn't know it was there. Would the shotgun (unloaded and cased, although it don't legally have to be in Wisconsin) behind the seat, make me a felon?
Today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Offline ericksonrs

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »
In Utah CCW holders can carry in a school so it depends on your state. 

+1 on removing the gun not the holster as the fastest way...do this for work since I can't carry at my job.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 10:01:55 AM »
 :popcorn:
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline Zuplex

• Survivor
    • Grow Engedi
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »
Oy. This whole thought process has me rethinking my carry gun paradigm. At first I was leaning towards a Glock 19 (shot it, liked it) or maybe an M&P9c (shot it, thought it was okay, would probably like it more with practice). Now I'm thinking I need something that could fit in a pocket, like a .38 snub, Kahr PM9, or even (heaven forbid!) an LCP. I'd prefer not to downsize, but better a gun in the pocket than a cannon in the gun safe….

Regarding carrying around schools, I'm in Florida. According to Jon Gutmacher's Florida Firearms: Law, Use & Ownership (7th Edition), "the definition of a 'facility' normally relates to buildings, and structures -- thus, an entrance road or parking lot should not ordinarily fall within this definition….If you want to play it safe, just keep it 'securely encased' and out of sight inside your vehicle as allowed by F.S. 790.115(2)(a)(3), and keep it off your person."

So with a CWP I should be okay leaving the gun securely incased inside my vehicle.

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »
I agree with The Professor's approach.  A paddle is easily removed and stowed leaving no trace that you were carrying. 

I also wear in IWB holster when I won't need to get that slick.  If I'm entering my bank I simply place my pistol in the lock box while inside.  I don't worry about removing the holster or spare mag.  However, the worst thing that would happen at my bank is I'd be trespassed.  It's a crime on school grounds so I go completely slick.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the belt.  Get a REAL gun belt that's very stiff or the holster will sag and flop around.  I've got a nice black leather one and a nylon one.  Both are double thickness with stiffener's embedded.  Using a stiff gun belt will also help if you're putting it on and taking it off in your car. 

Crossbreed IWB holsters are great!  Recommend them highly. 

For my paddle holsters I've gone with Comp-Tac and Blade-Tech.  Both are well made. 

Offline Zuplex

• Survivor
    • Grow Engedi
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 09:04:13 PM »
Thanks for the reminder about the belt! I know that the right belt can make all the difference in comfort and concealment.

Offline Newtopian

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 08:54:47 AM »
I have to do a routine similar to the one in question daily when I drop off my son to daycare. Technically, a daycare is not a school. It's a private "business", and while I'd rather carry inside because I damn well can (!) I choose to disarm most days because I don't want to bend down and have a parent or teacher see my pistol.
I carry a Glock 21 in a SHTFGear IWB holster. Now, depending on the clothing I'm wearing, it's very easy to unholster the gun while seated, stick it in the glovebox, and go about the dropping off of my son. And when I get back in the car, I can easily reholster it. The kydex prevents it from collapsing when the gun isn't in it, which is convenient. Personally, I don't give a shit if a parent sees me doing this. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they'd rather see me sticking it in the glovebox instead of wearing it inside.
The law in Virginia allows me to possess a gun while inside the vehicle, because a vehicle is considered an extension of your home. As long as you dont touch the pavement with your foot while carrying, you're legal.

I've gotten around the hassle (if you want to even call it that) by wearing sweater vests in the cooler months, that cover the gun, allowing me to keep the holster on. And during the warmer months, I wear some nice looking short sleeve button ups that dont need to be tucked in. They look nice with khakis and I can still wear the holster.

I've perfected this so that I only need to unholster when dropping off my son. I wear the gun into the office (against policy) and keep it in my desk drawer. Depending on how often I run errands throughout the day, the holster will either comer off with it or stay inside the waistband.

I think the two biggest factors here are holster and wardrobe. Get a good holster that won't require two hands to reholster (one that wont collapse) and wear appropriate clothing that also allows you to conceal.

endurance

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 09:09:27 AM »
This is tricky.  You're going to need a routine that prevents you from ever forgetting to disarm.  And also a way to do it that won't cause somebody outside your car to panic and call 911.

I need to figure this out for myself, just because I stop at the Post Office almost every time I leave my home.  In the past, I've put my gun in a locked case in the back of my car before arriving at the PO, and then retrieved it at my next stop.  This is a pain -- and, to be honest, I'm not certain whether it's legal to have a gun in a locked case in the PO parking lot.
They're working on it

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »
They're working on it

Well, that's progress -- and I guess it answers my question about whether it's currently legal. >:(

Not quite sure how I should handle that.  Technically there's about 2 car lengths worth of on-street parking next to our P.O., but nobody uses it because it's not actually safe for either the parked car or the other folks trying to see around said parked car.  I'll have to scout around the area for parking alternatives.

endurance

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 12:59:56 PM »
Well, that's progress -- and I guess it answers my question about whether it's currently legal. >:(

Not quite sure how I should handle that.  Technically there's about 2 car lengths worth of on-street parking next to our P.O., but nobody uses it because it's not actually safe for either the parked car or the other folks trying to see around said parked car.  I'll have to scout around the area for parking alternatives.
I found that current legislation when I was looking for an update on this case

In July, a Colorado federal district court struck down a U.S. Postal Service regulation barring a rural man from possessing a firearm in his car when he parks in the post office parking lot to retrieve and send his mail.

I saw the case work its way through the courts, but hadn't followed through to see the final result.  This is why I have a private mail box (well, that and the fact that I can receive fedex and UPS there without having the stuff sit on my porch at home all day).

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 10:50:10 AM »
I agree with The Professor's approach.  A paddle is easily removed and stowed leaving no trace that you were carrying. 

I disagree. My paddle holsters have little hooks on them that catch the seam inside my pants, making it very difficult to get the holster out. I like it that way. Nobody wants their holster to come out easily when they draw, or if they're in a confrontation.

In Missouri, your car is considered an extension of your home. That means if you are of legal age to own a handgun, you can keep it in your car regardless of where you are, without a CCW. However, you cannot carry it into a school.

I usually carry in a "tuckable" inside the waist band holster. If I'm going into a place where I cannot carry, I pull the gun out of the holster, and secure it before getting out of my car. I try to wait until there is nobody near my car, and keep the gun below the level of the windows to avoid "brandishing" issues.

I do not remove my holster. AFAIK, holsters are not restricted inside schools, and are very unlikely to be seen.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 10:04:41 PM »
My paddle holsters are blackhawk cqc's, and they have little hooks on them also. Once you get used to it, it can be removed very easily, but unless you apply pressure, and correctly twist, as you lift it off, it holds like a gorilla. I have seen people picked up off the ground by a paddle holster.