Author Topic: Inserts Pulling Out of Carbon Arrows - How Common?  (Read 3235 times)

Niccolum

Inserts Pulling Out of Carbon Arrows - How Common?
« on: April 20, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »
Hello all, though I'd dust off this board and ask a question. I'm new to archery and loving it so far, but I have a question about arrows. I have Easton Aftermath carbon arrow shafts with field point tips installed. I have had three arrows have the inserts come completely (2) or almost (1) out of the shaft when pulling them out of a bag-style target (Rinehart Raptor) after only a limited number of firings (<10 each?). In the two that pulled completely out, the arrows were very difficult to pull out of the bag and both of the cases I had to lay the bag down and give it a very hard pull to get them out. When the arrow came out, the insert and point were still in the bag - which I was able to extract with pliers.

Ordinarily I'd assume they were just assembled poorly, but the three arrows were from two different batches of arrows purchased at different shops - one box retailer, one local pro shop. I'm assuming they're reusable when new inserts are installed (I mangled the two with pliers) but I'll find that out shortly.

However my question is has anyone else ever encountered this? I've asked the limited few other archer friends I know and they've never run into this problem. The arrows have never been shot at/into anything other than a target bag and they've never hit the ground either. I can't find anything searching the Internet for it either, although it's a fairly hard thing to search for too. One friend suggested it's something in my target, but I don't know what that could be since it's a normal, commercial bag target - nothing to get stuck. When the arrows do get stuck is seems that the they're tangled on the inner material.

Niccolum

Re: Inserts Pulling Out of Carbon Arrows - How Common?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:07:48 PM »
Although the crickets are deafening on this thread, I'll note here that I just received a warranty replacement from Rinehart for the bag target I mentioned above being defective. It has something very hard stuffed into the packing. I can feel it through an enlarged hole in the front of the target. Rinehart said that was wrong, replaced the bag (out of warranty!), and told me to keep the original too!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 09:41:35 PM »
never had that problem, but i've not shot my bow in 10+ years and i have old aluminium arrows. good luck with the new target!

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

nkawtg

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »
I've had that problem with aluminum shafts in the past. A little super glue helps.

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:53:20 AM »
Didn't see this earlier. Yes it is common for inserts to pull out when shot into something hard. It's the prepping on the glue if it's not clean, the glue can be brittle or not have good adhesion to both the metal and the carbon. Plus they try to use so little glue to avoid having it on the outside of the shaft.

I'm prepared to be wrong are you?

Offline Comrad

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
As said above, if you shoot into something hard, its going to be harder to pull the arrow out, and you're more likely to be able to lose an insert. You can just glue them back together, but make sure to use a good epoxy or cyanoacrylate. Not all glues are created equal, you really do get what you pay for. Its better to get a more expensive, high quality glue, and only have to do it once rather than getting a cheap glue and doing it a couple of times.