Author Topic: Crossbow Hunting  (Read 2741 times)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
Crossbow Hunting
« on: April 23, 2014, 01:19:23 AM »
I just picked up a sweet Barnett Quad 400 Crossbow "kit" in a swap for a metal detector that I had $100. invested in.  I've been wanting to do some South Alabama Hog Hunting and I thought the Crossbow would make a good tool for just that.  The "kit" included:  Barnett Quad 400 Crossbow, Barnett 4x32 scope, Barnett detachable quiver, Barnett sling, 12 Barnett Bolts, 12 125g field points, 12 Broadheads (various), toolkit, string cocker, Allen camo zip case.  I have just added a NCStar green laser sight to it in place of the quiver mount just for hog hunting as they do not react to a green light source.  Picking up a crossbow rated bag target this weekend at Bass Pro Shops so I can finally get in some trigger time.

While I was at Bass Pro Shops, I picked up some Barnett rail and string wax and then I found the broadheads.  My original intent for this crossbow was for hogs, but I had also been wondering about other types of Alabama plentiful game, such as turkey too.  I had always just assumed you'd put either a fixed blade or mechanical opening broadhead thru the heart/lung area of a gobbler and the would pretty much feed a family of four for a weekend.  Well... No.  Turkey have a "special" broadhead just for them and their unique anatomy.  As with a shotgun/.22, you aim for the nect and take out the spine, but the broadheads for doing that with a bow are just flippin' awesome.  One particular brand I looked at was the "Guillotine".  Think of a trocar tipped field point with 4-3.5 inch X-acto knife blades standing straight out from the hub!  If you can put your bolt within a 7 inch radius of that bird's neck, it's "Off with her head"!  They also had some interesting squirrel and rabbit broadheads that were designed not to stick into the tree or bury themselves into the dirt. 

The Barnett Quad 400 is one of the fastest bows on the market today with 150 draw weight and just under 350fps with 125g bolts.  I am SO looking forward to this!
Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!
Murder Capital of the South

Offline Mjolnir

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Crossbow Hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:35:49 AM »
Sounds like an awesome deal Tim. I have been an archer most of my life, it is in my opinion the most exciting way to hunt. I haven't had the chance to use a crossbow, but they sure do look like fun. Your original thought with the turkeys is still valid, a fixed blade broad head and shooting them through the chest.  Preferably the bird would be broadside to you so you have the chance of pinning the wings to the body. Somethings you can hit those darn birds and while it is a good shot they may take to the air for a short time. The turkey Guillotine's are awesome for them though and would be the way I would attempt to harvest one. As for the squirrel/small game tips if you are looking at things like the Zwicky Judo tips, just be warned that those will still drill themselves in very nicely if you hit a straight on. I have had to cut a couple of tips out of stumps etc. and that while using more traditional equipment (longbow, recurve) so be really aware of that with the crossbow.  ;) 

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:35:14 PM »
Awesome score.

One thought about hog hunting with a crossbow.

Do you really need 4x magnification for dangerous game?
How much oncoming pig can you see at 15 yards with a 4x scope?

My crossbow if fitted with a 1x infinity sight.
Small game out to about 30 yards are an easy target for this setup.

I don't hunt dangerous game with mine as the only bad ass on my property are black bear.
A black bear was harvested several years ago with my recurve, but I can renock an arrow much faster than I can reload my crossbow.

Naturally, a good heavy handgun on your hip would also be prudent.
A pissed off bore stuck in the ass with a bolt could make for an interesting couple on minutes.

Fore small game and varmint hunting:
I put an empty worn out 38 special case in my powder measure and add small bird shot until it weighs the same as my field points and broad heads. (125 Gr.) 
Holding the case with needle nose pliers I melt the lead shot with a propane torch and drop into water.
When attached to my arrows or crossbow bolts it balances them the same as with the other points and thus shoots to the same point of aim.

The rim of the case is larger than a fully mushroomed 22 HP.
These take small game and varmints up to the size of full grown marmites very effectively. 

Good luck with the new setup.

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:48:57 PM »
Thanks Steve!  The 4X came with it as part of the dealio.  I see your point, and i agree to an extent.  Now I'm 57, wear glasses and I can appreciate the 4x magnification of the scope under most circumstances and ranges.  I got me a "Hurricane" 20"x20" "High Speed Crossbow" rated bag target and some rail and string wax last weekend so it was time to see what she could do.  I was very impressed with the power, speed and accuracy of the crossbow.  The Hurricane bag target equally impressed me at stopping the bolts traveling at close to 270mph in about 1/3rd of their length.  I put 20 bolts thru her before I noticed my string had snapped a few strands, so I stopped right then and there.  Gonna run it up to my local Bass Pro Shops tomorrow and see if they can replace the string for me. 

Tim Suggs.

Awesome score.
One thought about hog hunting with a crossbow.
Do you really need 4x magnification for dangerous game?
How much oncoming pig can you see at 15 yards with a 4x scope?
Steve
Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!
Murder Capital of the South

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 11:09:21 PM »
Thanks Steve!  The 4X came with it as part of the dealio.  I see your point, and i agree to an extent.  Now I'm 57, wear glasses and I can appreciate the 4x magnification of the scope under most circumstances and ranges.  I got me a "Hurricane" 20"x20" "High Speed Crossbow" rated bag target and some rail and string wax last weekend so it was time to see what she could do.  I was very impressed with the power, speed and accuracy of the crossbow.  The Hurricane bag target equally impressed me at stopping the bolts traveling at close to 270mph in about 1/3rd of their length.  I put 20 bolts thru her before I noticed my string had snapped a few strands, so I stopped right then and there.  Gonna run it up to my local Bass Pro Shops tomorrow and see if they can replace the string for me. 

Tim Suggs.
Crossbow safety!!
Always wear safety glasses.
A broken string is like a bullwhip snap.  Don't loose an eye.
Also examine the string after every shot... (Even a new one)
At the first sign of ANY damage toss it.
Keep the string well waxed!!
This will lubricate the strands movement against each other when under the great strain of shooting.
Abrasive damage within the string and not visible on the surface is a cause for caution.
Keep it WELL waxed.
Get a couple of extras, and I recommend putting on a new string if going after anything that can hurt you.
The undamaged practice string can be kept and replaced after the hunt.

I'm 68 years old myself and have long ago found the need for glass.
However, My 1x optical sight superimposes a bright red dot as seen on the target.
I can use both eyes to track my target, and as I said before, a young Marmot under 30 yards is in great danger.

Naturally, do as you think best, but please consider a lower power sight for dangerous game.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 07:02:28 AM »
Personally I find a scope just too dark.
More than once I've had no trouble seeing the deer in failing light or just dark bush but then have trouble picking it up in the scope.
"The best weapon you have is between your ears"