Author Topic: Yippee! New bow!  (Read 2649 times)

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
Yippee! New bow!
« on: May 02, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
Pooled birthday money, supplemented appropriately, and bought my first bow.  Mathews Creed XS.  Hopefully it will help keep us in meat for a while.  I'm super excited that now I have an extended hunting season!  Now to go sight it in and practice, practice, practice.....

nelson96

Re: Yippee! New bow!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »
Congratulations, it's a great sport that will teach you more about hunting than you would ever be forced to learn while hunting with a rifle.  Keep in mind that this sport is also more expensive, or at least can be and is what I experienced.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:33:31 AM »
Yeah...I immediately figured out the expensive part!  But I think you're right that it will take hunting to a whole new level, and I am very excited about that.

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »
But I think you're right that it will take hunting to a whole new level, and I am very excited about that.

You have no idea. . . .  Learn or be comfortable just slinging arrows.  ;)

Offline MarkL99

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 03:03:56 PM »
Congratulations.  Hope you have as good a time with your new Mathews as I have had with my new PSE I bought 2 years ago.  Archery is very challenging and exciting.
A Constitution of Governement once changed from Freedom can never be restored.  Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.--John Adams

Offline slidin

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 04:21:14 PM »
Nice bow. I was very close to buying one. I love the draw. So smooth. I tried about 12 different bows from different makers Hoyt, PSE, Bear and narrowed it down to a matthew creed of chill. I wanted a bow for longer distance accuracy so went with the chill for speed and hopefully stability with a 33 inch ata but the creed is such a nice pull and balanced. If I didn't already have a bow doing 310ibo then I would buy the creed in a sec. Keep us updated on how it works out. Im excited to get mine out for bow season.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »
Excellent choice.
Be sure that your arrows are a match for your bow weight.

Also, if possible join a club.
You will find that the average archers are very friendly and willing to offer suggestions.
Most clubs are family oriented too, so if you have a family, they will also be welcome and have new friends.

As far as archery goes: WELCOME TO A NEW WORLD!

There are so many things you can do with archery.
Other than regular target shoots, clubs also host fun shoots (Balloon popping etc.)

One of the side stages at the 1976 Bownanza archery shoot.
Once you got in the saddle, they pull the supporting ropes to simulate a running horse.
Then you have to shoot a moving balloon... Some fun.

Other than hunting, you may want to shoot a fish or two.

Needle Nosed Gar taken from the Brazos River.
Most of the Gar we shot were too big to fit into our little flat bottomed boat.

Small game hunting is also a blast.

This young Rock Chuck was taken in the foothills of northern Washington State.
Note the arrow... I killed this small marmot with an arrow tipped with a 38 special case pressed on to the arrow.
Blunts are the way to go for small game and are surprisingly powerful in impact.

Of course for hunting larger game the trick is to get them to hold still.

Cow Elk target at the 1976 Bownanza animal shoot.
I took a first place in Bare Bow Bowhunter category at this shoot.

You have entered a wonderfully rich world.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

We all started where you are now. Don't get frustrated with your shooting.
Accuracy will come with practice... It just takes a while.

Good Luck

Steve

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:35:21 AM »
Thanks for all the good feedback and encouragement!  I've been trying to get the target out regularly.  Pretty consistent at 40yds at this point.  Of course...that's consistent on a target that doesn't move and is at a known distance!   ;D  There are a couple local shoots in June, so hoping to be able to get to at least one.