Author Topic: Rat 2  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Rat 2
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
I'm putting a few different kits together and really like the Rat knives for what they are. That being affordable folders I can buy multiples of for different kits. Currently I'm working on a hiking kit (thread in the outdoor forum) and a vacation kit for my checked bag.

I just saw they came out with a Rat 2 last summer which has decent reviews as an EDC, but I'm wondering if for survival/emergency purposes it's not better to get another Rat 1. The Rat 2 is much lighter, but not as strong and durable as the Model 1. For my purposes which is the better choice?

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
Re: Rat 2
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 12:43:35 PM »
Honestly, I don't know.  What is the most extreme use you envision for this kit?  Making fuzz sticks for fire starting?  Rebuilding civilization?  :)

I carry a SAK for the multitool aspects and an Izula for more strenuous tasks.  I'm not going to baton a 6 inch log with an Izula, but a 2 or 3 inch log is within the realm of possibility.

I like the RAT 1 as well, but haven't bought a 2 to compare.  At the same price point, I'd look at the Zancudo as well.  I see the 2 or Zancudo performing well as a general use, fuzz stick, whittling, food prep blade.  I don't see any common folders surviving batoning more than once or twice.  A $200 custom folder might, but we're not in that market.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 03:11:57 PM »
The Zancudo look nice, but aren't made by ESEE :( They've had an Izula folder preview on their site for a while, but nothing has come of it. The regular Izula are small enough that I'm not sure I see a point, especially with how much it would probably be.

Blade HQ had a video on their site of an Izula going through a railroad tie, so 2 or 3 inch logs wouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't plan on having to baton with a Rat, but would use very small sticks if I did. If it wasn't locked it might hold up alright.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 04:58:40 PM »
Technically, the RAT 1 and RAT 2 aren't made by ESEE/Rowen either.  They're ESEE designs made in Taiwan for Ontario Knives.  The Zancudo is also made in Taiwan (in the same factory IIRC) for another knife company.

The Izula folder has been a mythical beast for a while, but it looks like it's finally coming out.  It will be made in the USA by Rowen, but I haven't seen a price or an actual release date for them yet.  Pics of the prototypes are available on their forum.

Regular Izulas go for under $50.  I picked up one used for $40 on the ESEE forum.

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 08:56:47 PM »
I have both the RAT-1 and RAT-2 folders and will say that I find myself using them for different tasks.

The  larger RAT-1 I use more for splitting wood and cutting submarine sandwiches.  I highly recommend that you do not try to baton it through wood that is almost as thick at the blade.  (I messed up the liner-lock good on that one.  Luckily Ontario replaced without even a stern look.)  It's also very good with a ferro rod.  It threw some decent sparks.

If you want a modern version/substitute for the Buck 110 Folder, the RAT-1 is it.

The RAT-2 is used to spit palm frond stalks into kindling and I can see being able to use it to make feather sticks. (Still learning that skill)  It's not as good a chopper, but you can maneuver more with it.  If I was hunting squirrel and I had to use a folder to gut it, I'd use the RAT-2 for the job.

Just my humble opinion.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »
I like the Rat-2. I think the Rat-1 is a much better value at the same price, but it's nice.

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 11:55:46 AM »
Definitely go with the one you like best.   :D

Offline Lamewolf

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
I have the RAT 2 and like it real well, but if you want something tough for a kit, go for the Cold Steel folding Bushman - I would not be afraid to abuse it a little !

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 06:14:33 PM »
I have the RAT 2 and like it real well, but if you want something tough for a kit, go for the Cold Steel folding Bushman - I would not be afraid to abuse it a little !

I have two of the folding bushman knives and they are tough...though the smooth stainless steel handle is narrow and limits grip for some head on moves though adequate for slashing and general cutting .

Offline WKDTOM

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 08:14:45 PM »
Any reason you aren't considering a fixed blade?  I made the switch a while ago and now carry a RAT3 fixed for my EDC.  I've split cord wood with it in a pinch and used it for all manner of tools from cutting food to digging and screwdriver duty.  I'm very hard on my kit and Ontario's stuff has always been rugged beyond expectation.  Fixed blade knives are also a nice side step to knife laws in some places, when I travel to MA and NY I carry mine without worry since their knife laws are all based around folders/assisted opening.