Author Topic: Bow release info please  (Read 3623 times)

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Bow release info please
« on: June 11, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »
I recently purchased a 60 lb. recurve bow in the Chinese Han style on ebay and would like to use it but do not want to use the traditional thumb ring. Can anyone recommend a decent bow release?

I've been to Bass Pro ships and they have quite a few of them averaging from $25 to $99. I've seen many Scott Releases on ebay for around $10. Any suggestions?

Joe
Whataaaah!!!!

Offline MarkL99

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Bow release info please
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
I have a trufire release I also bought at Bass Pro.  Very happy with it.  Very easy to get used to and use.  Only cost me about $40.  Find one that feels good and  fits your hand properly.  Check out bowhunting.com for more advice on releases also.
A Constitution of Governement once changed from Freedom can never be restored.  Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.--John Adams

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 12:59:27 PM »
First of all that's badass.

What about just using your fingers?

I'm a compound shooter and have always used a release, but recently I have been shooting stick bows with my co-worker. It takes some practice to get the hang of it and I definitely am not good at it yet, but he uses the one over two under technique and has also been trying the 3 under technique.

www.Tradgang.com is a good resource for all things stick bows and traditional hunting.
Please support my Kickstarter! 5/1/15 - 5/30/15

http://kck.st/1EuNpsw

Quail Stuff

Ebook. http://greatlakespermacultureportal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/BD-Ebook-quail-for-meat-and-eggs.pdf
Thread. http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=42890.0
Prezi. http://prezi.com/kssuytlqgjs4/raising-quail-for-meat-and-eggs/?kw=view-kssuytlqgjs4&rc=ref-37650931
TSP Episode 1071. http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/quail-for-eggs-and-meat

Virtual tour of my property, Google Sketchup overlay on Google Earth image.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8gkPz1otw

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
~Thomas Edison

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

Offline strangetanks

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 08:48:22 PM »
60lb is high for a recurve bow!

I would try it out for a while with your fingers and a shooting glove, if you still feel like you need a release borrow one and try that out for a while.  I'm not convinced you will like it, it's unusual to use a release with a recurve.

That being said.  I use one of the T shaped releases that is not strapped to your wrist.  Holy crap I don't know how people use those things, strap a entire bow to your arm and hang out until you decide to draw (and I have a ridiculously small compound bow). 

I can totally see someone using that to draw a recurve, its a more natural feel because your still drawing with your fingers and you can clip on the release and hold the knocked bow in a natural manner.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 08:39:40 PM »
60 pounds is high for a starter bow, but not for an experienced archer.
I have three sets of limbs for my Bear takedown: 55,65,75 pounds @ 28".
Since I have a 30" draw, the actual hold weights at full draw are a few pounds more.

65 pound limbs.

I have always used a glove and three finger technique.

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »
It's been our experience (me & the Mrs.) that you really get what you pay for in a release. The styles vary and you might like a different configuration than me but going cheap will disappoint you.

I'm just going to add that the guys I know who shoot non-compounds tend to prefer not to use a release. A good recurve shooter (definitely not me) can draw and loose an arrow in one smooth motion without holding and aiming like done with a compound. The best archer I know uses both and prefers a compound for a stationary aimed shot and his recurve for rapid instinctive hits while more mobile.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Comrad

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:21:30 PM »
I'm very much a finger release kind of guy, especially for a traditional bow.

I have a 75 pound compound, and a 55 pound long bow, and, I finger shoot both. I'm a big fan of the two under, one over method and I would very much recommend it for a recurve. You can however, have issues with finger pinching on shorter bows, but my compound is 40 inches, and I use a three finger release with no problems.

As others have said here, the beauty of a traditional bow is the instinctive nature of the shot. I can get a shot off with my longbow far quicker than I can with the compound. Everything about the traditional bow is by feel (which unfortunately means a heap of practice) where as the compound is pretty much just judging distances and lining up pins. By using the finger shooting method with a stickbow, you can release at different speeds, different strengths, and far more naturally than using a release aid.

Just my opinion, obviously you should do what you're comfortable with, but I think being able to finger shoot makes you a better archer.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 07:03:45 AM »
Has anyone used a bow ring to shoot?
Whataaaah!!!!

Niccolum

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 09:03:10 PM »
I use a T.R.U. Ball Stinger - http://www.truball.com/stinger.html. Runs $35-$40 usually.

Offline Jim H

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 05:11:37 PM »
One bit of advise - if you do use a release put a bow string release loop on it - releases concentrate the pressure & wear on a very small area, could be a real issue with that on a bow that powerful.

I use a Scott Wolf release on my 70# compound and finger release my 52# English longbow and 70# warbow.

I use the release with the compound because the RKT cam's let off is abrupt, and I'm going to hold it back and aim with the peep and pin. The release is clean when using sites - more like my rifle.

On a barebow I shoot instinctive - just look at the target and draw, releasing when I hit my anchor point.

For me, the two are completely different disciplines. I don't even practice barebows and compounds the same day. I will shoot compound and rifle the same day.
Jim H

NRA Life Member
SASS Life Member "Tracker Jim"