Author Topic: Camillus "Carnivore"  (Read 4287 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Camillus "Carnivore"
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:21:44 AM »
    I've been intrigued with the Camillus "Carnivore". I wouldn't call it a knife; more of a multipurpose chopping camp tool. I picked one up at a very good sale price and on first look, it seems to be very well made. There is a goodly section of serrated blade, but I wouldn't consider it a "saw" blade, although they do. It has nice balance and heft. I would think it would baton firewood well. It doesn't have a sharpened point for penetrating, more of a tanto grind. Chopping and hacking. The sheath is "ballistic" nylon and doesn't have a liner. There are not enough rivets to prevent cutting through the stitching, for a blade this size. I'll either add more or maybe make a new sheath. Near the tip there is a guthook type notch they claim is a wire cutter. Unless I'm totally ignorant, I can't see how it would be effective at cutting wire; there is no other pivot to use it with in a "scissors" type action. I would still carry a Buck folder for fine work. Still I bought it because I like the looks of it. Anyone have an opinion or experience with this? 

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Camillus "Carnivore"
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 11:05:27 AM »
They seem to have a reputation to break. Not my cut of tea for a tool

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 05:14:39 PM »
Near the tip there is a guthook type notch they claim is a wire cutter. Unless I'm totally ignorant, I can't see how it would be effective at cutting wire; there is no other pivot to use it with in a "scissors" type action.

I don't know either, seeing as there is no pivot point. 

Digging and chiseling are going to seriously degrade the edge. A serrated edge is wonderful for cutting fibrous materials, but I don't know how it would handle your batoning.

Basically, this knife gives me the impression that it doesn't know what it wants to be. I'd humbly defer to anybody with firsthand experience though.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »
     Someone told me that they thought the "wire cutting" notch was actually a gut hook for opening up a deer, but that Camillus thought that description was too "graphic". I'll admit that the notch fits my definition of a gut hook. That being said, I don't think anyone in their right mind would use a blade of this size to gut out a deer.
     The "tanto" style grind is described as a "chisel" point. Without a pommel to strike, I can't see how it could be effective as a chisel. The serrated section is nicely done and should make quick work of severing rope, cordage or vines. However, this tool is too short to clear large amounts of undergrowth like a machete. I can't speak to issues of breakage because I haven't heard of any. I would definitely also carry a smaller, more useful blade for small game, skinning and camp chores. This does seem to beg the question of what the heck is this thing? Not really a good machete, not a good saw, not a good knife, not a good wire cutter, not a good chisel, not a realistic digging tool and supplied with a not sufficient sheath.
     But hey, I now own one and as with fishing lures that always catch at least one sucker, this thing caught me.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 11:22:28 AM »
I have a 17" blade version. I use it to clear branches while setting up a ladder stand for still hunting and it is OK for hacking fingerling size limbs out of the way and the wire notch is best for vines. It is the kind of knife to give a friend whom you don't know what to buy for...but he will likely re-gift it . It is not suitable for much ,but is better than nothing and you will not cry when you break it .

I prefer this for knife /hacking/batoning  :

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-80PGTK-Tanto-Carbon/dp/B004H9DO4Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1410628451&sr=1-1&keywords=gi+tanto+cold+steel

and this for bruch/small tree clearing:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-78606935J-7860-Brush-Axe/dp/B000F99IEU/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1410628488&sr=1-2&keywords=brush+hook

and for a saw:

http://www.amazon.com/Bahco-10-30-23-30-Inch-Ergo-Green/dp/B0001IX7TW/ref=sr_1_19?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1410628839&sr=1-19&keywords=saw

Not that any of the above are BEST,but the perform well for my use and my budget.

Offline Giff Sheriff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 10:33:02 AM »
So I agree with all of the posters who have concerns, about the original Carnivore production line. However, I do have to praise this company and it's commitment to costumers. I'll explain. while shopping at one of the discount stores near my home, I happened upon the Carnivore Z for a mere $20. Intrigued by the titanium bonded blade and strength claims of the tool, I took the plunge. Now understand that I don't usually impulse buy however, for $20 I knew this wouldn't break the bank. I also said to myself, "how bad could it be" it's full tang and comes with a lifetime warranty? I was a bit suspicious of it having been made in China but with most so called "American" companies having moved manufacturing to that country, I figured what the hell.

Upon getting home, I quickly cut through the blister pack and examined the thing. My initial impression was that I liked it. It felt good in the hand and never having had a chisel tip blade before, I thought it would come in handy around the yard and garden. For some reason and I don't know why, I went on to YouTube, to see what reviews I could find? Understand that in most instances, this is something I would have done prior to purchase but in this case, is was an afterthought. Imagine my surprise when I found this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJyoGvEXPwA Now understand that this review is for the larger 18in version but I don't want a blade that will fail me, regardless of the size. Also I just considered this false advertising on the part of Camillus for calling this a, "FULL TANG BLADE". iT JUST ISN'T.

So very disappointed and in fact a bit angry, I called Camillus Phone: 877-412-7467 Email: orders@shopatron.com and spoke with one of their head honchos. I expressed my concern with the knife failing me while in the field and was immediately told, to send them the knife for a replacement. a replacement? How would that help? I mean if your going to replace something broke, with something broke, it makes no sense.
However I was assured that what I would receive, would solve my issues.

So I sent it back. what I got in return was a brand new Carnivore X. that's right They replaced a $20 knife, with one costing almost twice the price.  How that, for customer service? And WOW what a beast of a blade. I won't go into all the bells and whistles this thing has over it's little brother exsept to say IT'S AMAZING.

I just wanted to shed some light, on the company and how it does business. iN A TIME WHEN THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR SEEMS TO BE THE ONLY CONCERN OF BUSINESS, IT'S NICE TO KNOW THAT A COMPANY WILL STILL STAND BEHIND ITS PRODUCT NO MATTER WHERE IT'S MADE :)

didn't realize my cap lock was on and I don't feel like retyping. lol

Offline suarry

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 02:18:17 AM »
Great blade, but the handle came loose during the first loose. I used it for a camping trip and was using it to cut small branches (3-5 inches thick). It worked very well, much better than I expected. However, after about 5 or 6 branches, it started to feel loose.