Author Topic: Knives to go with you  (Read 38849 times)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Knives to go with you
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2015, 10:52:30 PM »
It's amazing how my list keeps changing.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 06:33:02 AM »
It's amazing how my list keeps changing.

It is not hard to imagine as my list varies a bit too as do my needs.
A knife is and EXPENDABLE and should be thought of that way,as you use and sharpen...the knife goes away.
My knives are not for looking at ,they provide service and get replaced,as expendables...price is an important factor of choice.

endurance

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 06:35:25 AM »
It is not hard to imagine as my list varies a bit too as do my needs.
A knife is and EXPENDABLE and should be thought of that way,as you use and sharpen...the knife goes away.
My knives are not for looking at ,they provide service and get replaced,as expendables...price is an important factor of choice.
Which is one reason the Mora 780 found its way into my heart for field work. I bought three for $45 on eBay with shipping once and despite several years of absolute abuse, I have yet to break one yet.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 09:10:25 AM »
This is what I carried with me on my trip, just as a bit of an equalizer. A friend who is a LEO gave it to me a few years ago.

Some considerations for it however:
1. The metal ring which holds the 'rope loop' on, take off, and put the 'tug' directly onto the blade. I do not feel the metal ring is strong enough or will last long term.

2. The two holes in the handle part. After being under a seatbelt for thousands of miles and kinda jammed between my bra, I had two welts from those holes right under my solar plexus which hurt so bad when I got into my PJ's that night it felt like they were second degree burns. They lasted until half the day the next day. After that I readjusted it and it was fine for the rest of the trip. It might have been a freak incident, but something to be aware of.

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 09:41:04 AM »
Some considerations for it however:
1. The metal ring which holds the 'rope loop' on, take off, and put the 'tug' directly onto the blade. I do not feel the metal ring is strong enough or will last long term.

2. The two holes in the handle part. After being under a seatbelt for thousands of miles and kinda jammed between my bra, I had two welts from those holes right under my solar plexus which hurt so bad when I got into my PJ's that night it felt like they were second degree burns. They lasted until half the day the next day. After that I readjusted it and it was fine for the rest of the trip. It might have been a freak incident, but something to be aware of.

Cedar
I've tried a number of neck knives over the years and could never get past the getting used to it stage without getting too annoyed to bother.  Under a shirt they all found their unique way of irritating the piss out of me until I just tossed the thing in a drawer.  The worst had a habit of pulling out one chest hair at a time every few hours.  Good god, it would have been less painful if I'd just been stabbed. ;D

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 09:59:13 AM »
Which is one reason the Mora 780 found its way into my heart for field work. I bought three for $45 on eBay with shipping once and despite several years of absolute abuse, I have yet to break one yet.

I agree that the Mora (any of them) is a good choice but as I don't g afield so much ,my mora's are in
coat pockets,field kits ,and most any area I might need a tool...I even use several of the Stainless Moras
in the kitchen as they outlast more costly kitchen knives and prevent accidents as little force is needed to
make a cut.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 10:18:38 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Mora Bushcraft Orange. For $31 I think it's worth double the price of the standard because of the thickness, handle, and the 90 degree edge on the spine. Unless it is abused it shouldn't fail me. It's also nice to know I'll easily find it on the ground.

endurance

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 10:36:35 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Mora Bushcraft Orange. For $31 I think it's worth double the price of the standard because of the thickness, handle, and the 90 degree edge on the spine. Unless it is abused it shouldn't fail me. It's also nice to know I'll easily find it on the ground.
I've solved my hard to find knife issue by putting a lanyard made with florescent pink with reflective piping parachute cord on them.  A true necessity for those pocket chainsaws, too.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 10:54:44 AM »
I often drill within the last 3/4 inch of handle with a 1/4 inch bit so a good piece of paracord will pass through
as a lanyard though a paracord will carry a Mora sheath well "handle up" around my neck for easy access and
a lightweight keychain loop ensure I shouldn't hang myself in a fall . Bacho has a hi viz MORA at a low price suitable
for many tasks...see link.

http://www.amazon.com/Bahco-2444-Carpenter-Multi-Purpose/dp/B004YV99DA/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1427819289&sr=1-9&keywords=mora+knife

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 11:04:25 AM »
I've tried a number of neck knives over the years and could never http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/Smileys/default/rofl.gifget past the getting used to it stage without getting too annoyed to bother.  Under a shirt they all found their unique way of irritating the piss out of me until I just tossed the thing in a drawer.  The worst had a habit of pulling out one chest hair at a time every few hours.  Good god, it would have been less painful if I'd just been stabbed. ;D

I just choked on my Graham Cracker endurance..  :rofl:

I got annoyed at mine shifting all over, until I put it under my bra strap, and then the knife hangs down about 2-3" under the bra. Thankfully I have no chest hair to pull out.

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 11:08:46 AM »
I just choked on my Graham Cracker endurance..  :rofl:

I got annoyed at mine shifting all over, until I put it under my bra strap, and then the knife hangs down about 2-3" under the bra. Thankfully I have no chest hair to pull out.

Cedar
Ahhh, I have no bra strap to put it under. I'll try that next time.  :o

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »
Ahhh, I have no bra strap to put it under. I'll try that next time.  :o

Duct tape can fix that, I just use velcro to hold my neck knife in place.. ::)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 10:05:12 PM »
Duct tape can fix that, I just use velcro to hold my neck knife in place.. ::)

one word.. OUCH

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 05:59:09 AM »
one word.. OUCH

NOOOOOO....You tape the knife to the inside of your garment.

nelson96

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2015, 07:25:33 AM »
And all this time I thought you were supposed to show it off outside of your garmet like you do with that shiny chain attached between your belt loop and wallet.

Offline suarry

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2015, 02:19:15 AM »
I carry a Bradley Alias - made in the US with an S30V blase and titanium. Pretty much an indestructible piece of metal that's seen 12 years of almost daily use.

Offline metatron

• Prepper
  • English guy
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2015, 03:09:01 PM »
Rough Rider Fixed Mini

Benchmade Griptilian 551 H2O

Fallkniven A1 Pro

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2015, 05:37:56 AM »
I have a zero tolerance clipped in my right pocket always.  It is kept as sharp as I can make it and primarily a defensive tool.

I have a crkt folts minimalist as my "tactical boxcutter" and used like one.  I find it easier to sharpen than changing chipped disposable blades.  Cheap enough to not cry over.  Carried left side.

Woods work around home is done with a Kershaw camp 10.  A cheap chopper/machete cross that is good for brush work on my homestead.  And a silky folding saw. Japanese know how to make a saw that cuts easy and clean.

A leatherman wave is often in my day pack, although I carry it less and less.  I have gone back to dedicated tools.  A mini vice grips, a few screwdriver bits, and a couple sawzall blades do the job.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2015, 06:02:31 PM »
I've started getting into more expensive steels recently, but I'm not sure I'm sold on them for my packs and other preps. Aus8 won't hold an edge like VG10 or CPMS30V, but it will probably roll instead of chipping. 3V is the new in vogue steel, but it's harder to sharpen than 1095, which could limit what sharpener you use.

Some of the really popular folding knives are great for every day carry, but that doesn't necessarily translate to long term use when springs and lock problems can't go back to warranty departments.  FRN handles maked EDC effortless, but how are they going to react to really low temperatures?

When I think about what I'd take with me I'm not sure my newer expensive knives would be my first choice.

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bashing the bush all over WA.
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2015, 01:16:53 AM »
Well, i've carried the same leatherman (the first one they brought out) for about 18 plus years (damn that makes me feel old) and a SOG flash 2 that i've carried for about 1o plus years.

Very happy with the pair of them.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2016, 05:03:53 PM »
Is there a particular sheath material you all lean towards? Leather and Kydex both have positives and negatives.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2016, 06:01:47 PM »
Is there a particular sheath material you all lean towards? Leather and Kydex both have positives and negatives.

For me, in nutnfancy speak, first kind of cool goes to kydex, with leather the second kind of cool.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »
It's surprising, but I've reached a point I don't feel a need to buy any more knives. I'm going to buy more because they are fun, but for the first time I have all I'll ever need if something happens.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2016, 10:50:52 AM »
It's surprising, but I've reached a point I don't feel a need to buy any more knives. I'm going to buy more because they are fun, but for the first time I have all I'll ever need if something happens.

say it ain't so!!!
;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2016, 11:04:50 AM »

Quick....check for fever.....

endurance

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2016, 01:22:09 PM »
I'm more split on what to carry with me than ever before. Recently there's been talk in the office that made me decide to change to a smaller knife. I was carrying a 3.1" bladed H&K, but after an incident involving a visitor "intimidating" an employee (by cleaning his fingernails with his pocket knife during an interview), management talked about cracking down on the no weapons policy. To come into compliance I picked up a 2.5" bladed Spyderco. I'm not thrilled with it, but it's better than nothing.

In the meantime, I've found that more and more I want something that's more utilitarian when I'm not at work. I have two different leathermans, so I might have to sort out what works best for an EDC all over again for when I'm not working.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »
my company has a no weapons policy and i have to go into the office next week. i'll be going 'stealth'.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2016, 03:27:07 PM »
I'm more split on what to carry with me than ever before. Recently there's been talk in the office that made me decide to change to a smaller knife. I was carrying a 3.1" bladed H&K, but after an incident involving a visitor "intimidating" an employee (by cleaning his fingernails with his pocket knife during an interview), management talked about cracking down on the no weapons policy. To come into compliance I picked up a 2.5" bladed Spyderco. I'm not thrilled with it, but it's better than nothing.

I find a large folder at work more conspicuous and harder to justify in my profession, so I carry the small Buck Vantage at work. The rest of the time I like the large Vantage. I haven't found anything with one-handed tip-up functionality that rides as low and doesn't scream, "Sharp and Scary!"  The small Vantage carries about as conspicuously as a pen, with the large one not far behind. Even if I had to take it out and open the blade, it is way more benign looking than anything else I own, outside of a Swiss Army Knife. 

And I'm well past the point where I need more knives, too.  Of course that won't stop me from getting more, because I have a problem.....

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2016, 05:50:33 PM »

Quick....check for fever.....

say it ain't so!!!   

You two are funny :)

And I'm well past the point where I need more knives, too.  Of course that won't stop me from getting more, because I have a problem.....

At least you can admit your problem. All I could say was I'll keep buying them because they are fun ;)

The knives to go with me right now are:
Junglas
ESEE 4, 5, or 6
Izula, Endura
One of a few Swiss Army Knives

If I can't live off of a combination of those I must be doing something wrong ;) I picked up a few of the last few pieces and feel mostly content now.

The "fun" in me is thinking about a Becker in the 6"-7" range and another Izula (I'm looking for a justification if anyone has one)...possibly another Spyderco.