Author Topic: Knives to go with you  (Read 37266 times)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Knives to go with you
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2016, 10:00:50 AM »
Any justifications as to why I'd need a second Izula II? Need an excuse when the credit card bill comes. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2016, 10:02:07 AM »
Because you have been GOOD and deserve another..

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2016, 10:41:47 AM »
Any justifications as to why I'd need a second Izula II? Need an excuse when the credit card bill comes.

Because two is one, and one is none. I almost always get two (at least) of my favorite knives. I do the same with any tool, of which guns and knives are my favorite.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2016, 11:34:16 AM »
Because you have been GOOD and deserve another..

I think she would know that's a lie ;)

Because two is one, and one is none. I almost always get two (at least) of my favorite knives. I do the same with any tool, of which guns and knives are my favorite.     
Good point. The only time I didn't do that is the time I should have. This time last year Cold Steel was switching over from AUS-8 and most of their Recon series was $40-$50.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2016, 08:54:17 AM »
I'll continue the sacrilege..

I've really backed off the "tactical" knives of late. I still like them but pulling out my SOG tridents has gotten me some odd looks in certain circles. I even had a friend call my Kershaw Avalanche a "scary knife" though I think of it as a small pocket knife.

For some reason there's a halo on SAK products that lets you pull them out without offending the most severe anti-weapon people. That's kind of a good thing to me. And I've found that most people asking for a knife would actually prefer to use a scissors which I'm happy to provide on my Outrider. I've been carrying it for a few months and love it (big shout out to Freelancer for recommending it). I get no dirty looks and it provides all the cutting I need.

At home in my shop I never carry a pocket knife as I keep a utility knife on my belt and keep them affixed via magnets to virtually every power tool I own. At last count I own 15.

So I've hit this point where I don't see a use for a tactical folder. A utility knife really is a better around-the-house-beater tool and out in public a SAK passes as normal. The fact that it brings some other tools with it is icing on the cake.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2016, 11:31:06 AM »
For some reason there's a halo on SAK products that lets you pull them out without offending the most severe anti-weapon people. That's kind of a good thing to me. And I've found that most people asking for a knife would actually prefer to use a scissors which I'm happy to provide on my Outrider. I've been carrying it for a few months and love it (big shout out to Freelancer for recommending it). I get no dirty looks and it provides all the cutting I need.

How do you like to carry it?  It's too chunky for my pocket and too conspicuous in a belt pouch, so it rides in my man purse, where it's less likely to get used, especially when a SAK Rambler or Manager is on my keychain.  Same problem I've had with the other multi tools, unfortunately.

At home in my shop I never carry a pocket knife as I keep a utility knife on my belt and keep them affixed via magnets to virtually every power tool I own. At last count I own 15.

Same here, although I haven't actually counted. Not sexy or cool, but a utility knife does 95% of my non-food cutting chores around the house that can't be done better (or safer) with scissors, snips, or dikes.

I'm feeling the need for a utility knife review thread......

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2016, 01:33:03 PM »
How do you like to carry it?  It's too chunky for my pocket and too conspicuous in a belt pouch, so it rides in my man purse, where it's less likely to get used, especially when a SAK Rambler or Manager is on my keychain.  Same problem I've had with the other multi tools, unfortunately.

I just toss it in my pocket. I'd toyed with making it a pocket clip but I'm fine with it the way it is. But I'm pretty big (6'2" 250 lbs) so i don't notice the bulk. I also don't wear skinny hipster jeans  8) . A bit clunky perhaps but I really don't notice.

I got some opinions that way if you're interested...

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2016, 07:22:33 PM »

I'd be interested in that. I'd like to see them in light and heavy categories though because some are really heavy.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2016, 08:59:59 PM »
I'd be interested in that. I'd like to see them in light and heavy categories though because some are really heavy.

I took some pics of my menagerie last night and maybe tomorrow I'll start the thread, if someone doesn't beat me to it by then.  I've got a report I've got to bang out tonight or I'd be doing it right now. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone's preferences are, too.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »
And I've found that most people asking for a knife would actually prefer to use a scissors which I'm happy to provide on my Outrider. I've been carrying it for a few months and love it (big shout out to Freelancer for recommending it). I get no dirty looks and it provides all the cutting I need.

I tried it this week.  Not nearly as bad as I was expecting.  If I can find just the right sized little pocket hook to connect to the lanyard ring, so the big SAK isn't riding down at the bottom with my keys, I think I'm going to seriously consider making the switch permanent.  I tried one of the small Nite Ize Figure 9's and it didn't work too bad, but I'm sure I can find a more streamlined solution.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2016, 05:35:23 AM »
I tried it this week.  Not nearly as bad as I was expecting.  If I can find just the right sized little pocket hook to connect to the lanyard ring, so the big SAK isn't riding down at the bottom with my keys, I think I'm going to seriously consider making the switch permanent.  I tried one of the small Nite Ize Figure 9's and it didn't work too bad, but I'm sure I can find a more streamlined solution.

I've been on the fence about buying this for years.

https://www.bestmadeco.com/products/brass-keyhook-keychain?taxon_id=975

Maybe the best solution.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »
I've been on the fence about buying this for years.

https://www.bestmadeco.com/products/brass-keyhook-keychain?taxon_id=975

Maybe the best solution.

Initial picture looks perfect, but then seeing it in actual use and it's too big and obvious. I want something 20% that size, dull color, essentially invisible.

endurance

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2016, 05:22:38 PM »
Initial picture looks perfect, but then seeing it in actual use and it's too big and obvious. I want something 20% that size, dull color, essentially invisible.
You can patina brass quite easily with ammonia and salt if you wanted to darken and de-shine it.  Polish it with steel wool and clean with baking soda and water.  Rinse thoroughly with hot water and avoid leaving fingerprints on it.  Create a vapor chamber (a shoebox-sized plastic box) with paper towels soaked in ammonia with dissolved salt in it.  Place the item you're trying to age in the chamber for a few hours, and you have a piece of brass that looks decades old.

Offline Davew223

• Prepper
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »
Spyderco Endura Wave,  https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=226,  $65.73 on Amazon in the pocket.
Husqvarna hatchet, Falkniven Forrest and gerber saw in the pack.

With the "Wave" opening feature, the VG10 steel and blade design, I use this knife for everything from cleaning deer to peeling tomotos for a tomato rose garnish.  With the exception of a utility knife for cutting things that will trash an edge and a Dexter 12" chef's knife (better than knives coating 10X as much, I was a sous chef,) all I use is the Spyderco.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2016, 06:06:52 PM »
I can't agree more with the comments lately regarding the SAK's.  No matter how many times I try to go back to my Kabar 4071 for EDC, I always switch it out last minute for a SAK.  I just discovered a new SAK that I might just have to have.http://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Pioneer-X/p/0.8231.26  I showed it to my wife, and she said "Do you really need another one?"  Gut reaction was YES!  Any EDC SAK of mine must have scissors, bottle opener and an awl.  I can pass on the can opener and hook if I have to.  Then I started questioning not having a corkscrew.  I cant remember the last time I used my SAK corkscrew (too much wine perhaps?), but I dont want to be caught with a bottle of wine and no way to open it!  This would be especially true if all I got is my EDC! :-[  I have seen the videos on opening a wine bottle with shoes or a tree, but having a cork screw follows the 2 is one philosophy in a way.

Ditto's on the outrider!  I keep one in our small "go bag" that lives in the bedroom.  I am thinking of replacing the SAK huntsmans that live in our cars with an outrider model, but I cant find them cheap on Ebay anymore.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2016, 09:17:48 PM »
I just discovered a new SAK that I might just have to have.

A stock Alox SAK with scissors?!  That's effing awesome!!!!  Now if they'd just get an inline Phillips......

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2016, 10:09:25 PM »
The Fieldmaster may always be my favorite SAK. It just has all the features I need and doesn't weigh (or cost) much at all.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2016, 10:40:32 PM »
Found a clip I can live with, albeit at a ridiculously high price:  http://www.amazon.com/Keychain-Clip-Multi-Purpose-Suspension/dp/B00LHFOT3Q?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

It's a nicely finished bead blasted stainless steel, carries well, and only has about an inch of clip showing. 

Offline Davew223

• Prepper
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2016, 07:56:50 PM »
@Badhog, Yes it is, http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-S145-12PCP-Sani-Safe-Cooks/dp/B002NQAHNO is also a very good choice.  The blade is a little taller and rides your knuckles better if you have large hands.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0c7qiNjuI  Starting at about 1:56 is what I am talking about.  All their knives hold an edge very well as long as you rinse it off right after cutting anything acidic like limes or tomatoes.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2016, 09:33:58 AM »
Found a NEW  carry knife to replace my much loved MORA.

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Robust-Carbon-Sheath/dp/B00SROLRDK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Yep,another MORA,with thicker,taller,longer (slightly) blade and $15 bargain.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2016, 01:59:11 PM »
Found a clip I can live with, albeit at a ridiculously high price:  http://www.amazon.com/Keychain-Clip-Multi-Purpose-Suspension/dp/B00LHFOT3Q?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

It's a nicely finished bead blasted stainless steel, carries well, and only has about an inch of clip showing.

I ordered one.. I'm not on prime though so it will be a week. I'll follow up. I figure 2 for $18 isn't a bad deal if it lasts a lifetime.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2016, 02:53:13 PM »

OK.. my thoughts.

First off, it came incomplete. It should have 2 hooks, 2 small key rings, and 2 keychain clips. I only got 1 clip. No big deal, I'd likely throw them both out anyway. I only cared about the pocket hooks.

They're little. I mean tiny. If you want something the average person won't see this is it. But the geometry is really good. While I can't put the hook into my pocket one handed I can pinch it and draw the Outrider one handed. Not bad. And the vertical position in my pocket makes it more comfortable to carry. It's so little and well rounded that I don't even notice if it flips into my palm while gripping the knife (though I do have rather large gorilla palms with stubby crooked oft-broken fingers).

Bottom line... It's a good solution if you, like me, find that a SAK is the best choice in an EDC blade. Their lack of a good pocket clip has been an Achilles heel but this is a good compromise. Bear in mind that this is NOT ideal if you want your pocket knife to draw in 0.00003 seconds for zombie dispatching. But for a comfortable multi-tool it's a pretty good setup.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2016, 04:15:05 PM »
OK.. my thoughts.

First off, it came incomplete. It should have 2 hooks, 2 small key rings, and 2 keychain clips. I only got 1 clip. No big deal, I'd likely throw them both out anyway. I only cared about the pocket hooks.

They're little. I mean tiny. If you want something the average person won't see this is it. But the geometry is really good. While I can't put the hook into my pocket one handed I can pinch it and draw the Outrider one handed. Not bad. And the vertical position in my pocket makes it more comfortable to carry. It's so little and well rounded that I don't even notice if it flips into my palm while gripping the knife (though I do have rather large gorilla palms with stubby crooked oft-broken fingers).

Bottom line... It's a good solution if you, like me, find that a SAK is the best choice in an EDC blade. Their lack of a good pocket clip has been an Achilles heel but this is a good compromise. Bear in mind that this is NOT ideal if you want your pocket knife to draw in 0.00003 seconds for zombie dispatching. But for a comfortable multi-tool it's a pretty good setup.

Yep. Almost 2 weeks in and I'm carrying the Outrider in all situations with zero problems. I think I could even step up to the Hercules with this clip.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2016, 02:53:08 PM »
I have a little Buker Magnum folder  (liner locked) in the outer pocket of my purse, got on super sale a few years ago, Sierra trading Post, so my kids all got one in their stocking.

I like Mora Knives for utility knives, I have forgotten and had one in my purse, but now remember not to. So, I thought, since I dont where a belt, why cant I have a purse with an outer sheath ? ANd, I dont even own a better knife or sheath knife (like a buck knife or something). So, I have been given a nice sheath knife, but I think people may think it is scary, so it will be a go with me knife for around the yard, camping and non-city uses. I think the Mora knives look less scary than a sturdier knife to others is something I will keep in mind