Author Topic: Finished another knife  (Read 7153 times)

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
Finished another knife
« on: June 08, 2015, 03:47:35 AM »
Just made this one. A reproduction of 9th century Slavic warrior's knife, based on our local finds. Completely period-correct, all handmade. Cherry wood handle.
Will be for sale soon (I'm taking it to a reenactment event next weekend, maybe it gets sold there already).

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Finished another knife
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:42:10 AM »
I really like the look of it.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 06:47:03 AM »
Folds?

Cedar

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 07:11:26 AM »
     The sheath is similar to a "mountain man" style fur trade era one. However, I've never seen one with that metal reinforcing on the edge side. Very nice.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 10:28:59 AM »
Folds?

Cedar

No, it's a fixed blade.

There are couple sheath fittings found that have remains of leather on them, however, the upper part with belt attaching piece has never preserved on any of them, so this is my reconstruction how it may have looked. Yes, I was inspired by those trapper style sheaths you mention. My thoughts were that if the sheath was ment to be hung on the belt via a loop, there's no reason to make the fitting so short. This length is just perfect when you place the sheath under a belt.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 06:24:28 PM »
SOLD

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 09:17:51 AM »
Making this extra large Slavic knife for a custom order. These big blades were rather rare, but are real. Check out my G+ site for more pictures from the work process:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PetrLCustomHistoryCZ/posts

Right now the handle is ready for engraving, waiting for the customer's choice what pattern (if any) he wants. Meanwhile, I'm off to the shop again, to start making the scabbard. It will be wooden, with fabric lining inside. That will be soaked with tallow, so it's gonna wipe some of it on the blade each time it's drawn and protect it from rust. Scabbard halves will be laced together, allowing to be disassembled for adding fat to the lining or exchanging worn lining.
Wooden scabbards were very common on knives back then, much more than leather sheaths it seems. Some have remains of the lining preserved. As for the planned lacing, that wasn't preserved on any local finds, but I found some very similar (better preserved) ones from the same era from Caucasus and they have the lacing completely intact, so I'll use it as analogy to make mine.

Offline MillenniumMan

• Prepper
  • Equal oportunity offender
    • MillenniumMan Gear
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »
That is a thing of beauty. Great furniture from the cherry wood. For some reason I see it going into battle by a large bearded bald guy covered in leather and fur giving a gutteral scream, wielded point down into his opponent.

Maybe that's just me... :)

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 08:36:28 AM »
Other than winter clothing, there wasn't much fur used here in the 9th century. Wide variety of fabric was produced and also imported (such as silk).
Anyway, glad you like it. I forgot to add pics of the finished sheath:

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »
Finally finished this part of the order and shipped this knife to the customer. Added a shield and spearhead (with blunt point for safe sparring and reenacting battles). I'll make him an axe yet and possibly a set of 9th century armor as well.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
damn, nice work there.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 06:40:18 PM »
Thanks, glad you like it. The new owner did too. He was pretty excited when he received it and already emailed me how much he loves the items I made for him. Was surprised with the knife's sharpness, too.
I hope he tells his friends and brings me some new customers. I really enjoyed making this type of knife scabbard and will gladly make some more, if I've managed to start a new fashion amongst reenactors here.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 02:26:12 PM »
Thought I'll show you guys some more knives I made lately. First, to my Slavic fighting knife above yet: I'm currently making two similar ones. WIsh me luck.
Here are the others:
This is a rustic "redneck's hunting knife", just very simple and rough desing and finish, as requested.

Here is a small Slavic 9th century neck knife. Wooden scabbard is lined with fabric, that has been treated with tallow, to protect the blade. Scabbard can be easily taken apart for cleaning, changing the lining and such.

This is an 18th century trade knife of the French pattern. Oak handle, riveted with handmade iron rivets. I'm currently making a leather sheath for it. This one goes to my personal FIW reenacting gear.

Here is an all-steel bushcraft neck knife. IMO the handle is too long, but it's as requested by customer. Currently waiting for a sheath.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 02:53:12 PM »
oh nice job on all of those!

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 06:23:19 PM »
Is that an original Vz61 Skorpion in 7.65x25 I see?

The Professor

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 07:38:57 PM »
Thanks, archer.
Yes, that's vz.61 there, modified to semi-auto. Belongs to my wife. Doesn't really match the purpose and style of the knife, but I took the picture for another forum where it actualy had some meaning. Long story.