Author Topic: Plug bayonet as a survival addition to 12ga?  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
Plug bayonet as a survival addition to 12ga?
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:36:22 PM »
Just had this idea...so many survivalists prefer a 12ga as their main survival gun. So many of them buy and carry far less usefull stuff than a long-bladed  forged knife, right? How about offering them a plug bayonet, to be used the same way as it once was: to finish previously shot animals and to turn your gun into an improvised spear/pike for combat use, if you're out of ammo or need to fight hand-to-hand. Plug bayonets were used in the late 17th century, before being replaced by socket bayonets, which allowed the gun to be fired while keeping the bayonet attached. They seem to have been used as hunting tool first, to either finish the animal, or protect yourself from a woulded wildboar when your gun was empty.
I don't say this is necessarily the best survival gear idea ever, mainly considering possible market for such thing.
Since I have a wood lathe now, I can make the whole thing myself, don't need to look for anyone to make the hilts for me. I think I'd enjoy this as well, never made plug bayonets yet.
What you think? With all the cool survival stuff people are buying, would this thing sell?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Plug bayonet as a survival addition to 12ga?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 11:40:31 PM »
i've never heard of a plug bayonet, i guess i'll have to look it up.

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 01:13:39 AM »
One of the survival spears mounted on a tapered shaft would do it. I'd be worried about bending the thin shotgun barrel, you also can't use it as a shotgun while mounted, so why not just have a longer and more nimble spear?

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:04:09 AM »
I dont think I would want any bayonet that prevented me from firing the weapon.  Its primary purpose is to shoot, not stab.  The shotgun is theoretically a good candidate for a bayonet.  It is a relatively close range weapon and tube magazine shotguns are slow to reload compared to detachable box magazines, as an instructor I know says of the shotgun, "If your not killin', your fillin'"

I would be more interested in something like the Winchester Model 1897 "Trench Gun."  Here is the Model 1897 in general: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1897

The Trench model added a heat shield, sling swivels and a bayonet mount that accepted the 1917 Bayonet.

and with the bayonet mounted:

One interesting note about the 97, it has no trigger disconnect.  That means you can hold the trigger to the rear and work the slide, the weapon discharges every time the action closes. 

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 09:25:57 AM »
Of course a side mounted bayonet is better, no doubt. However, very fer shotguns come with bayonet lug or can have one added. A plug bayonet on the other side would fit any shotgun of the same gauge.
I mean - come one, people buy anti-zombie ammo. Why not this?

And sure, a good spear is much better than a shotgun with plug bayonet, but have you ever tried to operate a rifle/shotgun and a polearm at the same time? I did. It sucks.