Author Topic: Bowyering as a survival skill  (Read 9992 times)

Offline cynicalcyclist

• Prepper
  • Beaufort Traditional
    • Top Predator
Bowyering as a survival skill
« on: December 01, 2015, 10:04:46 PM »
This is something I have been pondering for quite sometime. We can stock pile all the guns and ammo we want. Eventually it would run out in a long SHTF situation. Guns and bullets are a major target for baddies who want to steal your stuff. I foresee a time when big brother comes to round up all the guns and bullets(even without a SHTF), and that would be nasty. A near meaningless stick propped against the wall in your home would draw zero interest from someone looking for guns, until you quickly strung it and zipped a shaft through him!

I think the skills of building ones own archery tackle is invaluable. There are so many resources that could be turned into efficient weapons with the right know-how. Live trees and bushes, lumber, p.v.c. pipe, heck even garden stakes could be used as self bows or arrows. Broadheads made from zillions of piles of steel from cars, sea cans, stone, or bone. It reminds me of the Hunger Games, Katniss and Gale hiding there homemade archery tackle in the woods so they could hunt for food or barter, the knowledge of building the weapons safely stored inside their brains. As modern survivalists we learn so many skills for resilience, but how many of those skills directly translate into weapons we can hunt and defend with?

I feel like this skill is very important for ones resiliency, plus it is tons of fun. Compound Bows are amazing machines, but you break a string, your done. Most shooters can't replace a string on one. A longbow string goes, you can be back shooting in a minute because of a spare resting in your pocket for just a situation. Here is a hobby that draws no questions from authority, to build a silent guerilla weapon in the face of ever tightening gun legislation, maintaining ones own liberty in the face of ultimate tyranny.

What do you guys think?
Building community, one bad rooster at a time!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Bowyering as a survival skill
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 06:35:19 AM »
I think archery is a fantastic skill and bowery is a handy skill. I simply have decided it's not on my priority list for now. I have enough other projects and priorities for now.

I might change my priorities if I lived somewhere with restrictive gun laws.

I would challenge your idea of ever tightening gun laws though.  I see most states continuing to loosen gun laws with most tightening being in already restrictive states. New York's SAFE act for instance, after challenges,  is now a 10 round magazine restriction. To be honest, as a non NY resident, I had sort of figured they already had that restriction. One area that is decisively solid is ccw. The signature mark of modern American firearms policy is allowing people to carry handguns for protection. That is under nearly no threat right now. I am not saying it can't happen, just that the leaf eaters are just now reclaiming  the intellectual space to support gun control (as opposed to 2008 when Obama wouldn't even say he thinks "assault weapons" should be banned).
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline cynicalcyclist

• Prepper
  • Beaufort Traditional
    • Top Predator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 08:08:04 AM »
Yes I guess I should clarify, I live in Canada. We have lots of gun owners, but it is certainly a privilege here not a right. I would suggest that most of the world has somewhat, to very restrictive gun laws. 

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 08:40:32 AM »
Yes I guess I should clarify, I live in Canada. We have lots of gun owners, but it is certainly a privilege here not a right. I would suggest that most of the world has somewhat, to very restrictive gun laws.
Absolutely, I did not realize you live in Canada.

That makes a lot of sense for you.  For me, I have a compound bow because I am merely trying to get some hunting time close to home and there is an area that does not allow firearms.  Traditional bow hunters are an interesting group, I used to hunt with some a few moves ago.  I used a pistol to have a similar engagement range as they did.  Their commitment to their craft was admirable.  Only one made his own bow as I recall. 

How many hours goes into making a decent hunting quality bow?
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline cynicalcyclist

• Prepper
  • Beaufort Traditional
    • Top Predator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 08:52:57 AM »
Haha well to quote Jack, it depends! I have made a couple selfbows now(un-backed out of one piece of wood) and could probably finish one in a weekend if I spent the majority of the time on it. I am sure more experienced bowyers could make one in half the time. A fiberglass, or wood laminated bow takes quite a bit more time since there is glue up time etc. With glass bows most of the tiller work in done while planning using formulas based on limb width and lamination thickness, so I guess sometime could be saved on that end.

It is certainly not a hobby for someone who wants instant gratification and doesn't mind having their work turn into splinters if something goes wrong lol. Us trad guys are dedicated, it is an all encompassing past time for sure!

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
Well,

As an Archer who compete´s in target competitions, i can guarantee you it is well worth it. A bow has very limited use compared to a firearm, but as a hunting tool it is primal. Maybe even for defense situations, although unlikely, since a bow is better then a fist.

Learning how to use one is not that difficult. People will tell you it takes a year. I say 3 months. Why? Start with a basic bow with draw weight low (around 20 lbs) shooting at targets 7-10 yards away. After practicing enough, and getting "Instinctive Shooting Technique" to a familiar level, you can purchase a real "Survival Bow".

What i call a survival bow, is a "Take-down Bow" with 45-55 lbs (55lbs of Draw Weight will be enough to hunt a bear using the right arrow tips).

For a good example here is THE Take-Down Bow
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/martin-saber-take-down-recurve-bow.html

"Expect for the best prepare for the worst."

Offline janusz225

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • kuchnie na wymiar wrocław
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 06:13:59 AM »
really men!
 this arc i amaizing: http://www.lancasterarchery.com/martin-saber-take-down-recurve-bow.html

I want that one!

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:23:06 AM »
The best one IMO  :)
"Expect for the best prepare for the worst."

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 11:13:08 AM »
oh nice

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/