Author Topic: Do you have a Nessmuk Trio or Coquina Outfit in your B.O.B.?  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
Do you have a Nessmuk Trio or Coquina Outfit in your B.O.B.?
« on: February 28, 2016, 07:23:06 PM »
These are three blade kits that allow you the most adaptability to your cutting needs. Both have a medium sized fixed blade in the 4 to 5 inch range, and a folding pocket knife.  The Nessmuk uses a hatchet while the Coquina uses a large chopping knife of 8 inches or more.

Do you have something similar?

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
Re: Do you have a Nessmuk Trio or Coquina Outfit in your B.O.B.?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 10:30:09 PM »
My usual set is a larger and smaller folding knife (like 4-5" and 3"), optional multitool (not really using the blades on it much, but they still count), larger belt knife (ColdSteel 7,5" Recon Scout) and a trench shovel, well sharpened. Sometimes a Bahco Laplander folding saw as well. That's my outdoor/capmping set mostly. Never thought about it, but it's quite close to Nessmuk's kit, I just have a shovel instead of the tiny double bit he prefered. I find a good trench shovel much more versatile, it's actualy my outdoor/survival tool of choice.
When I just go for a walk through the woods around the house, I tend to have an axe (9th century Slavic broadaxe) and sometimes some sort of saw (mostly the folding Bahco again), so I can either get dead firewood home on my way back, or cut some usable material I come by - for drying and later carving, which is part of my business.
I'm not really into large chopping knives much. I do like machetes, for a cheap usable tool, but that's something different. That Recon Scout is about the largest knife I tend to use as a general purpose blade. If I carry a larger blade (9" bowie, smatchet) , I usually mean it mainly as weapon. I thought I will like the kukri knives, but had two and sold them both...never really found my way to them.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 06:23:38 AM »
 :popcorn:  I carried a 4" blade folder,a Gerber multi tool,a Schrade schf9 (large sheath knife) and a small Gerber hatchet and a good axe head in my kit when out in the woods for weeks at a time. the kit remains the same,but I only carry the folder and multi tool for EDC tools these days as I am unlikely to take to the woods. I have sharp memories of days past though.

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:45 PM »
My setup is a Mora knife, Estwing hatchet, and a Leatherman sidekick multi-tool.

My EDC usually is the Sidekick and/or a pocket knife. (Choices vary on where I'm going.)

Offline Davew223

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 11:10:35 AM »
My estwing now lives in the toolbox and will never be used as long as i can get to either the Husqvarna hatchet or Multipurpose axe.  They take a little work to get the handle finished and the head sharp but they will out cut every axe i have ever used. 

To answer the question, Yes, Falkniven Forrest and Husqvarna 13" hatchet in the pack.  Spyderco Endura Wave in my pocket.  Quit thinking of the pack (SpecOps THE Pack) as a bug out bag long ago.  It has everything I need, or tools to procure what I need, to walk 500 miles home if I had to, but I dig into it and use most everything on a regular basis. My latest addition to the pack was a small cutting board in the water bladder compartment.  Not something you would usually think of in a BOB but it gives the pack some support and has multiple uses.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:30:28 AM by Davew223 »

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 06:45:36 PM »
Is the Husq a chopper or a splitter?  I find the Estwing to be more of a chopper and would like something that is a better splitter.  I like how you think of your pack.  I have the same mentality to mine.  I showed it to the guys at work and they were impressed, saying it was practical. 

Offline Davew223

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 07:36:42 AM »
It is about the size of the estwing so it does not have the weight to be a splitter but it splits very well for its size.  The head is designed to do both so it is a compromise for both but a really good compromise. You would not be disappointed in either task unless you compared it to a high end specialized axe.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 12:36:16 AM »
I have a Busse Basic 7, a Bucklite and a Frontier Hawk in addition to a Leatherman Wave.

I've never been comfortable with the double-bitted mini-axe concept, but the Frontier Hawk does well.  If that's not good enough, then I also have a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe, which is a bit larger.

Those together seem to do most of what I need, which is similar to what Nessmuk found out.  I've not spent anywhere near as much time as he did in the woods, but, these work for me.

The Professor