Author Topic: Utility Knives, Box Cutters, Razor Blades: What do you like to use?  (Read 22468 times)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Utility Knives, Box Cutters, Razor Blades: What do you like to use?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2016, 04:04:06 PM »
Moras are nifty, and you can't beat the price. Not as enamoured with the classic wood handle versions, although the blades are great, but the newer handles rock. My most recent one is a thick bladed Craftsline Carpentry version with a broad chisel tip and single bevel edge down one side with the opposite flat for light batoning. Haven't really used it (honestly, I horde, rather than use, most of my blades) yet, but it's sweet. When I clicked it on Amazon, it had a link to an even more robust version, with double beveled blade, with the Bahco brand and marketed as a demolition knife, so I couldn't resist.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 03:41:02 AM »
http://www.derma-safe.com/  would be the site

I get virus warning when I try the site

I don't....and the site is right, thanks for the corrected address. Not sure why it has warnings. But if you're worried, the blades can be bought on ebay, countycomm.com and many prepping eshops.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline Bad_apple

• Prepper
  • Real Macgyver
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2016, 10:36:22 PM »
Ok I like the Stanley for the heavy stuff BUT  I love the Olga slim for multipurpose lightweight and mid weight stuff. Very handy. Very sleek. I keep it in my shirt pocket at work and have used it daily many times a day for years!

http://www.olfaproducts.com/SPD/olfa-svr-1-olfa-silver-deluxe-ss-cutter-blade--2B0000-1137368844.jsp

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2016, 11:17:57 PM »
Ok I like the Stanley for the heavy stuff BUT  I love the Olga slim for multipurpose lightweight and mid weight stuff. Very handy. Very sleek. I keep it in my shirt pocket at work and have used it daily many times a day for years!

http://www.olfaproducts.com/SPD/olfa-svr-1-olfa-silver-deluxe-ss-cutter-blade--2B0000-1137368844.jsp

I do need to try one of those.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2016, 05:06:43 PM »
hmm. tempting....

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2016, 02:56:58 AM »
I got a couple OLFA's and have to say they are an impressive tool with excellent Japanese quality and tactile feel.  It's really a totally different beast than the 99E, with roughly the same dimensions as a carpenter's pencil and held similarly in the hand for more precise cuts.  I'm not sure exactly what its role will be in my life, but it's a keeper.

Offline jd350az

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2016, 01:53:26 PM »
I'll add a few things, I've been carrying a folding utility knife for close to 20 years, the husky is meh. I think the first one I used was a husky but they changed the blade change mechanism and the push button thing likes to let go of the blade in the middle of tough jobs. For really tough jobs I always used the 99e but I've daily carried and almost daily used the folders through the years. I've found the original blade retention mechanism on Sheffield folders,  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001WBSK8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ApqNxbB7ZBKRP

My original knife with this mechanism was lost after about 10 years and I replaced with the husky, went through wearing out 3 huskies before finding this Sheffield about a year ago. I'm a lot easier on my utility knife these days since I am no longer in construction so this knife should last a lifetime or until I lose it. I will slowly buy 4 or 5 of these to keep around the house, in the cars, etc lol.

Also about blades, I've only used Stanley because I bought a 100 pack back when I was in construction and when it finally ran out I went with what I knew. My boss back in the day used to supply blades and they were usually Stanley but one time we bought 2 100 packs of Ace Hardware brand. Looked like Stanley but as soon as we started using them they dulled about 20 times faster and broke a lot easier. We ended up buying Stanley to finish the job and used the ace brand for light duty stuff.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »
One that I do not recommend is GERBER EAB   

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Lite-Pocket-Knife-31-000345/dp/B002RILCLY/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1469909974&sr=1-3&keywords=gerber+knife

While it makes an OK money clip,it is way too heavy and chunky for what utility it provides and I much favor the Gerber Compact SCOUT

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Grylls-Compact-Scout-31-000760/dp/B004HYHKH6/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1469910112&sr=1-2&keywords=gerber+scout

Smaller ,lighter,thinner...better knife for pocket carry.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2016, 02:43:20 PM »
I'm obviously in the minority, but the Gerber EAB gets used far more for opening packaging around the house (not as a money clip) than any other knife I own.  Nothing else feels quite right in my hand anymore when it comes time to cut cardboard.  But I can certainly see how it's not going to work for everyone.

The OLFA could supplant it, though. Time will tell.

Offline jd350az

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »
The OLFA looks cool, I don't like the look of the EAB because it looks like it would feel awkward in my hand and needs Tool to change the blade and I've carried the Sheffield/husky folder for almost 20 years lol. I will probably try one one of these days.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »
I like the look of the Gerber, but I would not want to put my finger on the piece under the blade. It makes me nervous just looking at it. There is no guard and I could see my finger going right out into the blade.

And that is the improved version.  The original recalled version was really a problem.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2016, 07:57:12 PM »
The OLFA could supplant it, though. Time will tell.

Well, it doesn't look like I'll be trading in the Gerber or 99E for everyday use anytime soon.  Having just completed breaking down of a bunch of cardboard boxes, I can confidently say that the OLFA is not a box cutter.  It's perfect for neatly scoring one side of a corrugated piece of cardboard, without punching clear through both sides, but it hopelessly bogs down on anything thicker, even with the blade extended an extra notch to clear both sides.  For the thin stuff, though, it's pure joy.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2016, 10:39:53 AM »
I ot and used for a week what seems to be either a different version of the gerber or a copy of.
http://www.gearbest.com/edc-tools/pp_361406.html
a pic comparison shows it to be less robust, but i still find it adequate.
But no way as easy to use one handed than any folder

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2016, 02:18:54 PM »
i've lost 2 gerber EABs so far which really irritates me. I like the size and how quick and easy i can open it, but i dont like loosing them. I was keeping it clipped into my front right pocket but i think i knocked them off when i was getting my keys out.

I bought a gerber superknife edge (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004224HLU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but it's larger
and bulkier.

i've been considering making a small leather belt pouch for the eab so it can ride on my belt so i dont loose it.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2016, 05:02:24 PM »
i've lost 2 gerber EABs so far which really irritates me. I like the size and how quick and easy i can open it, but i dont like loosing them. I was keeping it clipped into my front right pocket but i think i knocked them off when i was getting my keys out.

I bought a gerber superknife edge (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004224HLU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but it's larger
and bulkier.

i've been considering making a small leather belt pouch for the eab so it can ride on my belt so i dont loose it.

My son carries his clipped in the first belt loop on his left side, he can pull it out cross draw.  He hasn't lost it yet

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2016, 10:33:24 AM »
My son carries his clipped in the first belt loop on his left side, he can pull it out cross draw.  He hasn't lost it yet

i assume it flops around a bit, does that bother him? or am i being to ocd?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »
I have a NEW FAVORITE...the MORA CRAFTLINE ROBUST...slightly heavier and thicker blade than most other Moras.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Robust-Carbon-Sheath/dp/B00SROLRDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479318415&sr=8-1&keywords=mora+robust

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2016, 11:40:51 AM »
i assume it flops around a bit, does that bother him? or am i being to ocd?

It sits fairly tight, depending on how thick his belt is.  Knife in, clip out.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2016, 12:40:39 PM »
It sits fairly tight, depending on how thick his belt is.  Knife in, clip out.
thx... a good idea to try..

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »
I use a Benchmade Mini Griptilian and a Spyderco Double Stuff sharpener

Originally I hated dulling my knife while opening boxes, envelopes, ect. However, I realized that is why I carry a knife.

I made and effort to learn how to effectively sharpen my knife, and now I just sharpen it as needed. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:41:04 PM by Black November »