Author Topic: Knife Guru´s - Is There a Difference Between Knives, Daggers and Machetes ?  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
Good Morning people  :D

I am trying to expand my knowledge on blades and things a like. I purchased a CRKT Chance in Hell machete for $ 69,99 and i got to say, it is a MONSTER ! Can take serious punishment and not get a dent !

http://www.crkt.com/Chanceinhell-survival-machete-K910KKP

After that, i started looking for something more "Bowie" like. I do have a KABAR 1215 but it is kind of big and it use it for camping... I wanted a back up one more for propper cutting and started do search the web. That was when i read about daggers. Thing is freaking SHARP and made of 5160 carbon steel (which is tough and very durable) and that got me thinking: whats the difference ?

Are Daggers and Bowie Knives practically the thing ?

This caught my eye, since i love swords and Daggers
http://www.darksword-armory.com/medieval-weapon/medieval-daggers/crusader-dagger-1814/

Can anyone enlighten me ? I am new to the Knife world....

Cheers !  ;D

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
Knives- Used for cutting. Rigid blade.

Daggers - Used for stabbing. Double sided blade.

Machete - Used for chopping. Flexible blade.

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
Hey Black November,

Does this mean that a Knife is both a tool and weapon and a dagger only a weapon ?

By the looks of it, Daggers are very combat-oriented....

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
One difference - daggers are not legal in California. Not sure about other states, this may or may not apply to you but it likely does to someone else reading this thread :)

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
Hey Black November,

Does this mean that a Knife is both a tool and weapon and a dagger only a weapon ?

By the looks of it, Daggers are very combat-oriented....

I am no lawyer, but I think the double edged blade makes it a dagger, not the intended use.

One difference - daggers are not legal in California. Not sure about other states, this may or may not apply to you but it likely does to someone else reading this thread :)

I lived in CA 20 years ago, and was actually arrested/thrown in jail for a week just for having a dagger in my car. CA sucks.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
CA Dreaming....

Well, any case ill stick with the KABAR for now. Daggers would call to much attention probably. Did not know about CA... I left the states some 16 years ago, i do go back every year for visiting, but i always go to Ann Arbor - Michigan.

So this means no CC for firearms in CA either right ?

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
CA actually has strangely liberal knife carry laws. Fixed blades of any length can be carried openly in a sheath, and there's no limit to the length of concealed folders.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
CA actually has strangely liberal knife carry laws.

(Liberal as in for knife rights, not liberal as in Di-Fi freedom-haters)

Yep! Knife laws are not too bad here actually - unless you like daggers or I think balisongs may also be illegal.

I had a discussion with a guy last week who insisted there was a length restriction. I let him know that I was sure there wasn't such a restriction (at least at the state level) but nether of us convinced the other ha ha.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
(Liberal as in for knife rights, not liberal as in Di-Fi freedom-haters)

Yep! Knife laws are not too bad here actually - unless you like daggers or I think balisongs may also be illegal.

Exactly.  Those ridiculously long folders from Cold Steel, like the Espada XL, are good to go here.