Author Topic: Knife Guru´s - Is There a Difference Between Knives, Daggers and Machetes ?  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
Good Morning people  :D

I am trying to expand my knowledge on blades and things a like. I purchased a CRKT Chance in Hell machete for $ 69,99 and i got to say, it is a MONSTER ! Can take serious punishment and not get a dent !

http://www.crkt.com/Chanceinhell-survival-machete-K910KKP

After that, i started looking for something more "Bowie" like. I do have a KABAR 1215 but it is kind of big and it use it for camping... I wanted a back up one more for propper cutting and started do search the web. That was when i read about daggers. Thing is freaking SHARP and made of 5160 carbon steel (which is tough and very durable) and that got me thinking: whats the difference ?

Are Daggers and Bowie Knives practically the thing ?

This caught my eye, since i love swords and Daggers
http://www.darksword-armory.com/medieval-weapon/medieval-daggers/crusader-dagger-1814/

Can anyone enlighten me ? I am new to the Knife world....

Cheers !  ;D
"Expect for the best prepare for the worst."

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
Knives- Used for cutting. Rigid blade.

Daggers - Used for stabbing. Double sided blade.

Machete - Used for chopping. Flexible blade.

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
Hey Black November,

Does this mean that a Knife is both a tool and weapon and a dagger only a weapon ?

By the looks of it, Daggers are very combat-oriented....

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
One difference - daggers are not legal in California. Not sure about other states, this may or may not apply to you but it likely does to someone else reading this thread :)
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” - Faramir/Tolkien
BOV: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4645.msg390358#msg390358
Prepping does not make you a special snowflake. Its just nesting...with guns.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
Hey Black November,

Does this mean that a Knife is both a tool and weapon and a dagger only a weapon ?

By the looks of it, Daggers are very combat-oriented....

I am no lawyer, but I think the double edged blade makes it a dagger, not the intended use.

One difference - daggers are not legal in California. Not sure about other states, this may or may not apply to you but it likely does to someone else reading this thread :)

I lived in CA 20 years ago, and was actually arrested/thrown in jail for a week just for having a dagger in my car. CA sucks.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
CA Dreaming....

Well, any case ill stick with the KABAR for now. Daggers would call to much attention probably. Did not know about CA... I left the states some 16 years ago, i do go back every year for visiting, but i always go to Ann Arbor - Michigan.

So this means no CC for firearms in CA either right ?

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
CA actually has strangely liberal knife carry laws. Fixed blades of any length can be carried openly in a sheath, and there's no limit to the length of concealed folders.
Axis II: deferred

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
CA actually has strangely liberal knife carry laws.

(Liberal as in for knife rights, not liberal as in Di-Fi freedom-haters)

Yep! Knife laws are not too bad here actually - unless you like daggers or I think balisongs may also be illegal.

I had a discussion with a guy last week who insisted there was a length restriction. I let him know that I was sure there wasn't such a restriction (at least at the state level) but nether of us convinced the other ha ha.
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” - Faramir/Tolkien
BOV: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4645.msg390358#msg390358
Prepping does not make you a special snowflake. Its just nesting...with guns.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
(Liberal as in for knife rights, not liberal as in Di-Fi freedom-haters)

Yep! Knife laws are not too bad here actually - unless you like daggers or I think balisongs may also be illegal.

Exactly.  Those ridiculously long folders from Cold Steel, like the Espada XL, are good to go here.
Axis II: deferred