Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 3657630 times)

Offline chad

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #24360 on: August 12, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »
Got my solar system done..

3 panel's @ 230 watts, max output 13.5 amps
3 batteries @ 265 amp hour

I now can run my tv,WiFi,cable box and speakers for 4 to 5 hours with a full charge :clap:

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #24361 on: August 12, 2017, 03:48:05 PM »

I now can run my tv,WiFi,cable box and speakers for 4 to 5 hours with a full charge :clap:

COOL.
I refuse to punch back as I didn't come here to fight.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #24362 on: August 12, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »
Just about to do some work on the reloading bench, have that project unfinished for too long and I'm running out of reloaded ammo for practice.

Update: my work on the reloading bench has resulted in sorting several years of range junk, I'm just sorting bags and boxes full of all kinds of brass now. All my bullets and reloading tools are in the drawers of the bench organizer already. I can hardly believe how much space I had occupied by all this mess!
Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #24363 on: August 12, 2017, 05:11:39 PM »

Beautiful work Chad!

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline PattyCakes

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24364 on: August 12, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »
Hello Members,  My name is Patty and I'm new here.  I'm 66 years old and have been prepping for about 10 years.  However, I grew up with a mother who did a lot of preserving and canning.  I'm not a city girl, I live in the country. 

I made blueberry jam yesterday from blueberries that I picked from a neighbors farm.  Has anyone noticed that Sure Jell has changed the amounts of sugar needed?  I use to use 4 cups of crushed blueberries and 4 cups of sugar.  Now it calls for 3 cups of sugar.  Just interesting, that's all. 

Today I'm dehydrating chopped yellow onions.  I've frozen some onion but I can't use up a lot of room in my freezer.  While they are dehydrating, I'm going to make a new jam.  It's called Carrot Cake Jam.  The recipe sounds amazing, so I thought I'd try something new and fun. 

I'm so glad to be here among all of you.  I hope you have a wonderful day.   

Offline chad

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24365 on: August 12, 2017, 07:08:13 PM »
Thanks guys..

It would not be possible without the advent of LED TV's and lights, my setup anyway.

The tv(42" LED)  wifi,cable box and speakers draw 8.5 amps DC from the batteries too the inverter (samlex 300W)
Output From the inverter  is 105 watts.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24366 on: August 12, 2017, 07:25:32 PM »
Hello Members,  My name is Patty and I'm new here.
Hi Patty, welcome aboard and good going on getting blueberry jam put up.  :)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24367 on: August 12, 2017, 07:32:06 PM »
Prepared my gear for a backpacking trip next weekend.  Took a 4 mile walk through local neighborhoods to test for comfort, and got several concerned glances, included a couple passes by police cars.  I had about $300 in camping gear strapped on, and was cleanly shaven.  I hardly looked like a homeless person, but whatever :)

After that played emergency radio and deployed VHF and HF antennas in the back yard, running off battery/solar.  Made a couple 146.520 (2 meter calling) contacts, with good signal reports from my garbage antenna.

Made my first contacts using the new FT-8 digital mode, including one in Kamchatka, Russia!

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24368 on: August 12, 2017, 10:50:34 PM »
I attended a Red cross all day class for the various rural CERT groups here on setting up an emergency shelter. The idea is, they may not be able to get to us and they would "deploy" CERT to do it until they could make it thru, or something..... Or, we would have no potential of any help or resources from them, in which case they hope we would take the check sheets, information, etc... f all that needs to be thought about and do what we can with what we have.
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24369 on: August 13, 2017, 02:39:50 AM »
Prepared my gear for a backpacking trip next weekend.  Took a 4 mile walk through local neighborhoods to test for comfort, and got several concerned glances, included a couple passes by police cars.  I had about $300 in camping gear strapped on, and was cleanly shaven.  I hardly looked like a homeless person, but whatever :)

After that played emergency radio and deployed VHF and HF antennas in the back yard, running off battery/solar.  Made a couple 146.520 (2 meter calling) contacts, with good signal reports from my garbage antenna.

Made my first contacts using the new FT-8 digital mode, including one in Kamchatka, Russia!
\
Just put on your Ham Hat with callsign and they will KNOW that you aren't dangerous...just nutz.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24370 on: August 13, 2017, 09:23:40 AM »
Prepared my gear for a backpacking trip next weekend.
Can't even contemplate something like that until October around here.  August is fierce, time to lay low and sort out gear for when the weather turns.  And it will.  In any case, let us know how the trip goes.

This year has been especially wet.  Not particularly hot, just the steamiest weather people can remember – and that's saying something for coastal MS.  Everybody's talking about it, but there's not much to be done.

So this weekend has been about sorting through camping gear, getting ready for fall.  Mostly holding down and maintaining the fort during hurricane season.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24371 on: August 13, 2017, 09:35:27 AM »
  Housekeeping at the BOL,rotate some food,watched a couple of movies,checked on backup power...took a nap.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24372 on: August 13, 2017, 06:53:17 PM »
Can't even contemplate something like that until October around here.  August is fierce, time to lay low and sort out gear for when the weather turns.  And it will.  In any case, let us know how the trip goes.

This year has been especially wet.  Not particularly hot, just the steamiest weather people can remember – and that's saying something for coastal MS.  Everybody's talking about it, but there's not much to be done.

So this weekend has been about sorting through camping gear, getting ready for fall.  Mostly holding down and maintaining the fort during hurricane season.

We hide indoors from late Oct. until late April, as it's dark, barely above freezing and wet.
Got our first rain in 85 days last night.
70F during the day, 55F at night.  On the hike it'll be cooler at 3600ft though...

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #24373 on: August 13, 2017, 08:07:04 PM »
(Mostly) set up two websites today.  Apparently this is not something that comes naturally to me.

I took computer programming classes (Basic and COBOL), but I guess 1984 doesn't count for much in 2017.  :o

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24374 on: August 13, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »
Smurf, I suppose every place has its down as well as up sides.

At least I got in a couple of road bike rides this weekend, 20 miles each day.  It'll have to do.  Oh but we could all use a week of dry weather here – especially some friends over in New Orleans, who are sweating about shaky pumps until the city can get emergency repairs done.  What a goat rope.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #24375 on: August 13, 2017, 08:19:57 PM »
Smurf, I suppose every place has its down as well as up sides.

At least I got in a couple of road bike rides this weekend, 20 miles each day.  It'll have to do.  Oh but we could all use a week of dry weather here – especially some friends over in New Orleans, who are sweating about shaky pumps until the city can get emergency repairs done.  What a goat rope.

I hear you on the weather.  I'm trying to ramp up to a half marathon in November, but it has been monsoon season and 105-110F. so running outside while out of shape is downright dangerous, but treadmills make me want to scream.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24376 on: August 13, 2017, 09:09:40 PM »
In two weeks my wife and I are taking sailing lessons.  No plans to buy a boat, but having the skills to independently skipper a 27' keel boat is appealing to me. My fantasy is cruising off the coast for a couple months while the fascists and communists sort out their B.S.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24377 on: August 14, 2017, 09:40:55 AM »
Elevation matters.  Here's the forecast for Olympic National Park.  I might need to pack more than a fleece for warmth at night:

SAT AUG 19
Partly Cloudy   
64°45°
10%   W 8 mph   70%

SUN AUG 20
Mostly Sunny   
63°44°
10%   W 7 mph   61%

I was so excited to have my pack < 30lbs.  That might need to change :(

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24378 on: August 14, 2017, 11:11:44 AM »
My fantasy is cruising off the coast for a couple months while the fascists and communists sort out their B.S.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Up and coming Prepper (2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24379 on: August 16, 2017, 10:02:04 AM »
Reducing the time I need to forge a basic knife blade. Practice seems to show some results. Made the 10" blade ready for grinding in about 30 minutes, then used a leftover piece of steel to make a small blade in about 15-20. Will make a set of 18th century scottish knives.
Just about to make my first scandi-style composition handle for my first scandi-style laminated blade I made. Received some reindeer antler pieces today, time to start cutting and gluing. I know that making complicated knives is hardly a prepping skill, but the more ways one can do it, the better chance to be able to at least some in a bad situation.

My Iroquis white corn is looking fantastic, the cobs are thickening.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24380 on: August 16, 2017, 10:54:05 AM »
Getting some random logs cut up for winter firewood. Trying to do the dead/dry ones first as this wood will be for the shop.
Up and coming Prepper (2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24381 on: August 16, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »
Ran 2 miles.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24382 on: August 16, 2017, 04:41:14 PM »
Chemo...

Offline Lostjagged

• Survivor
  • The Biker Prepper
« Reply #24383 on: August 16, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »
After a 5 day trip to Sturgis with my go bag I'm dumping half the clothing in it for food/water space, and changed the chain and sprocket on my bike.
With daily checks on my garden I noticed that the zuccini plant finally came up but I'm not getting much off of it this year. Due to some idiot's oversight (mine) the tomatoes have taken the whole bed and killed most my peppers.
Last but not least is that i'm getting back into this exercise thing.
Caution: Posting under the Influence

Failure is always an option.

Mind over Matter, if you don't mind it doesn't matter.  - Drill Sergeant

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24384 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:59 PM »
Chemo...
Oh man.  Hope you get to feeling better Carl.  Thoughts and prayers brother, thoughts and prayers.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24385 on: Yesterday at 02:07:34 AM »
Oh man.  Hope you get to feeling better Carl.  Thoughts and prayers brother, thoughts and prayers.

I know,it's old news...but I would rather live with chemo than die just now,even though the side effects of the meds are pretty tough on this old man.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24386 on: Today at 02:22:22 AM »
...more antennas and more antenna & radio materials acquired. ATM I see them as a SHTF prep.

On Thursday i made a test batch of pickled thick skin peppers. They will be accompany the hot bean soup I will be making in winter...
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w192/greekpreparedness/web-IGP3948_zpspkn0rqp1.jpg~original

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24387 on: Today at 10:30:30 AM »
Discovered a bunch of fallen birches in the forest, will be back with a bag to get a load of bark. Then will try making birchbark oil, it's one of those bushcraft skills I wanted to test for a while.