Author Topic: I used my preps today...  (Read 338120 times)

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
I used my preps today...
« on: November 14, 2011, 12:52:23 PM »
As I was reading through the forum over the last couple days I have seen multiple stories of people using their preps spread throughout the place. Decided it would be good to have the collection of stories in one place. A sticky maybe? So post away. I don't really have a story to start though.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: I used my preps today...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:10:48 PM »
Not a bad idea Steve.

This is a IUMP and a DIY -

I wound up some copper wire for Oil Lamps..  I've made four now I think.. 1 with a store bough wick, the others with cuttings from a pair of denim jeans. Used some stored Olive Oil for fuel.

Prep Items Used:
  • 10ga Copper Wire
  • Scrap fabric (will also make Char Cloth from it)
  • Olive Oil

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »
Yeah. Great idea.

I had four instances of using my preps in the last month:
1) I lent my cell phone charger to two separate people.
2) I had a flat tire and my spare was low on pressure so I used the portable compressor in my car to pump it up.
3) We had a power outage at my work for four days. I used multiple flash lights in the warehouses and other places without temporary power.

endurance

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 03:42:09 PM »
In the last month or so, things that come to mind are:

1)  Loaned the down jacket that I keep in my hunting kit to my hunting partner when he was shivering uncontrollably.
2)  Used my emergency jumpstarter on the wife's car when we discovered her battery couldn't handle the first cold temperatures of the season.
3)  Used the pulaski I keep behind the seat in my truck to dig out the rear end of a friend who got high centered on a rutted road in the middle of nowhere Wyoming after pulling alone proved unsuccessful.
4)  Used parachute cord to tie the legs of my deer together so I could use a makeshift travois to get it out of the woods with a bit less effort and damage.
5)  Used the cash reserve I carry to take advantage of a bargain price of $5/bail hay and purchased 80 bails vs. the typical craigslist price of $12-15/bail in the area right now.
6)  Rain-X on the windshield saved my butt when the windshield wipers suddenly stopped working during a rain storm (still haven't figured out what the problem is as it appears to be very intermitent).
7)  Used the shop vac to clean up after the washing machine drain came off the utility sink and dumped 15-20 gallons of soapy water all over the basement floor.  Also used the sump pump and squeegie to help.

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
    • B4Gear.net
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 03:50:10 PM »
I used mine recently when I went to help my sister & her boyfriend move. He laughed at my "Zombie Bag" but was greatful when I pulled out my mini tool box to disassemble a table and when they realized they had PACKED ALL the Toilet Paper!?! Oh, and I had jumper cables in my car box when his battery died in his truck, also used my phone charger and my laptop to look up the mover's number when they were late. /flex

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 06:31:41 AM »
When my nephew came up from CA in late Aug. for my daughter's wedding, he saw some of our preps and tried to ridicule them, "What the hell disaster are you getting ready for?"
"Unemployment." was my simple reply. "You never know."

Well, sure enough, I got let go from my job at the beginning of Oct and the employer has contested the UI. Found a new job last week (less pay/less hours for now) but won't get paid until after Thanksgiving. It's been a great help, and a huge load off my/wife's shoulders, knowing that we and the dogs wouldn't go hungry. .

This has been one of my greatest fears though; that our preps will get depleted just before "The Perfect Storm" hits.  :(

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »
When my nephew came up from CA in late Aug. for my daughter's wedding, he saw some of our preps and tried to ridicule them, "What the hell disaster are you getting ready for?"
"Unemployment." was my simple reply. "You never know."

Well, sure enough, I got let go from my job at the beginning of Oct and the employer has contested the UI. Found a new job last week (less pay/less hours for now) but won't get paid until after Thanksgiving. It's been a great help, and a huge load off my/wife's shoulders, knowing that we and the dogs wouldn't go hungry. .

This has been one of my greatest fears though; that our preps will get depleted just before "The Perfect Storm" hits.  :(

Prepping is no different in my mind as having insurance.  You don't plan to wreck your car,.. but you have insurance in case you do,..

I'm sorry to hear of the job loss, this is my fear also, having already done it before.

I have the same fear - the perfect storm..

Offline MrThirteen

• Survivor
    • Thirteensworld
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
A few times my preps have been utilized.
1. Real hard day at work and do not have time to run by bank in the daylight hours for cash. Pulled a little cash from the SHTF reserve at home.
2. Another hard day, forget to prep for dinner. Pull MH spaghetti from preps, family fed and happy.
3. Go house sit for friends ( more pet sit than house sit) youngest son forgets a belt. Make a belt with Paracord in GHB and one of the knives and BIC lighter in my EDC. Child thinks he has the coolest Dad ever.

This all happened in the last week.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 03:03:29 PM »
3. ... Make a belt with Paracord in GHB and one of the knives and BIC lighter in my EDC. Child thinks he has the coolest Dad ever.

Looks like you need to change your name from Mr. Thirteen to Mr. Cool  ;D - Nice going Dad.

idelphic,

What was the rolled up copper for?  How do you use copper wire for an oil lamp?

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »
Peopke CONSTANTLY make fun of me for my preparedness and my girlfriend thinks it is a pain in the ass BUT... To prove I am not some idiot waiting for 2012 here are 3 stupid example of how my preps came in handy in the last month.

1. The 50 gallons of stored water from the Berkey filter came in handy when the city was replacing the water main on our street and our water was shut off every day for 2 weeks. I use plastic 2 litre bottles now for many reasons -- including being indestructible by a 2 year old throwing them on rocks all weekend while camping.

2. The 2 liter bottles in my Jeeps toolbox came in handy when my daughters boyfriend was thirsty and was going to buy a bottle of water from a vending machine.

3. Having about 6 electric heaters came in handy while we have been trying to figure out why our furnace keep going dead in the middle of the night.

So all you nutjobs waiting for 2012 -- Keep it up! You never know when your preps will help someone who is making fun of you.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
Sorry to hear about your unemployment. I was fired in 2009 for going to the hospital for the birth of my son. You never know when you will lose your job.

I had about 20lbs of pasta, tons of rice, and tons of canned foods and never went hungry while unemployed for 7 months.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 05:25:52 PM »
I carry my GHB in my big truck and use it several times each week to cook a meal, MH, or to wash up as I carry a small bottle of Dawn, wash cloth and small towel. I also carry fingernail clippers, foot powder and extra clothes. If it's been a long week I might rob some clothing item out of it.

It helps to get familiar with the gear and get use to finding things I need. Of course this also means that I have to resupply when I get home which is good training also.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 02:12:05 AM »
Love it guys, keep the posts coming!

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 06:48:32 PM »
Today one of the contractors helping build out our new office space addition got cracked in the head with a pipe – it created a good sized gash which was bleeding pretty hard. Went straight to the trauma kit in my EDC bag and got him sorted out. Some of my co-workers know that I like to be prepared, but I think it definitely put the importance of it in perspective for some (and weirded a few others out who had an obvious WTF moment when I broke out the sanitizer, clotting sponge, trauma dressing and cold compress from my 'work' bag  ::)).

Definitely another moment where I affirmed the value of what we do as preppers! There's been a couple of those this year.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 09:19:50 PM »
Well the other day had a scheduled power outage at work - I guess a lot of folks forgot.  No issues - my edc flashlight came in handy.  I keep a backup flashlight at work + enough spare batteries to run the radio+.

Some folks thought it was odd I had one - all I had to do was point out you did get the two e-mail messages about the power outage, right?

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 01:46:06 PM »
It wasn't "today" — but I used my neck knife to open the horrible bubble-wrapped packaging around another knife I bought from REI. I just thought it was funny. A knife is no good if you can't cut it out of the packaging it came inside of.

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 02:37:11 PM »
It wasn't "today" — but I used my neck knife to open the horrible bubble-wrapped packaging around another knife I bought from REI. I just thought it was funny. A knife is no good if you can't cut it out of the packaging it came inside of.

lol - that always bugged the crap out of me... "I'm buying a knife for a reason!"

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »
Looks like you need to change your name from Mr. Thirteen to Mr. Cool  ;D - Nice going Dad.

idelphic,

What was the rolled up copper for?  How do you use copper wire for an oil lamp?
I need to get that thread started.. I keep forgetting about it. 

I don't know how much is on the spool I have,.. but it's a single strand of wire,.. My guess is that it would be used to feed (with another two of the correct color) commercial lights and what not.

endurance

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
Used my GHB in the car yesterday when I did the ultimate noob mistake and ran my car out of gas. D'oh!

Bitter cold and windy conditions, but thankfully I had a jacket, sweatshirt, hat and gloves at my disposal for the walk of shame to the nearest gas station.

Note to self:  Hypermiling and trying to set a new tank record is not conducive to winter survival.  Adjust priorities accordingly (still, 496.3 miles on a single tank was quite impressive ::)).

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »
Used my GHB in the car yesterday when I did the ultimate noob mistake and ran my car out of gas. D'oh!

Bitter cold and windy conditions, but thankfully I had a jacket, sweatshirt, hat and gloves at my disposal for the walk of shame to the nearest gas station.

Note to self:  Hypermiling and trying to set a new tank record is not conducive to winter survival.  Adjust priorities accordingly (still, 496.3 miles on a single tank was quite impressive ::)).

The mileage is impressive - but hard on some fuel pumps.  Next time when you are going for your record have an extra gal of fuel. 

My use of preps today -   I had some onions and tomato's starting to go so I dug into some long term food storage and whipped up today's bucket of soup.   It was based on bear creek instant soup mixture.  Tossed in some dried hash browns, can milk and along with the 2 large onions + tomatoes, canned chicken.  I now have a small vat of soup, very rich tasting because of the added onions.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 05:57:50 PM »
Took a drive up into the mountains today to check the snow level. I carry in the pickup what I call a "ten second bag" similar to a grab bag. After some recon in a couple of areas I decided this would be a good time to practice some skills.

Got out my fire starting kit and used some lichen and sage brush bark as tinder. The stuff was a little damp so I supplemented it with some dryer lint I had stored in a waterproof match box. After a little more effort got a fire going.

Heated up some water and had a MH meal. The day was cold about 25 degrees and overcast. There was only about 4 inches of snow in the area. After the meal I mixed up a mixture of some coffee and hot chocolate that I premake at home. Good day.

Spent a couple of hours walking around checking for "wolf trees " and other sheltered areas that would make a good camp if I were going to spend the night. Unfortunately I have to work tommorrow so " I owe, I owe so off to work I go". Maybe another day.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 02:27:08 AM »
While hiking a trail and having a passerby take a picture of us in front on the sign at the trail-head the camera took a dump during the hand off. Cracked the battery cover, and would have done us in for pics for the rest of the hike. Ran back to the car and grabbed a small tube of super glue out of the GHB tool kit and fixed it in 30 seconds. Back up to the trail-head and off we went. Worked like a charm. Its nice to have stuff on hand.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »
I find it amusing how handy (especially the non-obvious ways) that my EDC kit can be at certain times.

Just in the last 24hrs, I used the keychain flashlight to help someone up the stairs in front of my house because snow on the motion sensor caused the lights not to trip on.

I went stair climbing with a friend at the Cathedral of Learning on the Pitt campus (lots and lots of people do this in the winter) — and my MP3 player was nowhere to be found — and my girlfriend's iPod has a dead battery that won't recharge. I put playlists on my Android phone instead, and since I had no pockets, fashioned a Lanyard-style carrier out of the phone pouch and the cord of my neck knife that worked GREAT!

I found a heart rate monitor app for Android that uses the LED camera flash and camera lens as a finger sensor (like the clip-on finger sensors) and it works pretty damn good for what it is. I also have a database of stair climb times which is one constant never-changing gauge I can use to determine my fitness levels.

Then I used my neck knife today to open a stubborn package. I used it a few days ago to open up an Apple Juice box for my son so we could dump it into a sippy cup instead and my girlfriend laughed her ass off when I reached up into my shirt and pulled out the knife to do it LOL.

I made a few small adds to my EDC kit since November and they ALL have come in very handy almost daily. Some of the things I have in my EDC kit I put in there thinking I would only use them once in awhile and find that I use most of the things in the kit at least 2-3 times a week for SOMETHING.

Its great that I am prepared to deal with certain things, silly or otherwise that would stress others out just because I always have the tools on-hand to deal with them.

endurance

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
I find it amusing how handy (especially the non-obvious ways) that my EDC kit can be at certain times.
This is incredibly true.  I've gotten to the point where I don't think about a knife and flashlight as preps, but there's not a week that goes by where I don't use both in one capacity or another.  Maybe it'll just be to find the dogs' ball under the couch or cut open a bail of hay, but without it life sure would be less convenient.

Oh, and Brad, that was the first time I ran my tank dry since I was just out of high school, so my fuel pump should be fine. ;)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 11:04:54 AM »
I found a heart rate monitor app for Android that uses the LED camera flash and camera lens as a finger sensor (like the clip-on finger sensors) and it works pretty damn good for what it is. I also have a database of stair climb times which is one constant never-changing gauge I can use to determine my fitness levels.

I think that the fitness programs on smartphones can be one of the best tools out there. I have one called Lose It on iphone and it has a feature that allows you to build recipes, calculate servings, and it will give you the calorie read out. Read as, scan all your stocked food in your bag, then adjust the days (servings) until you hit the calorie/day ratio you need. Incredibly useful.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 12:57:37 PM »
Maybe it'll just be to find the dogs' ball under the couch or cut open a bail of hay, but without it life sure would be less convenient.

I got one of the smallest, brightest single LED bulb keychain lights I could find at REI and thought it would either break off my keychain by now, or the thing would get turned on in my pocket and ruin the battery but neither has been the case so far.

I end up using it all the time. Recently I used it to see behind my TV to plug in cables in my dimly lit living room LOL.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount I use the smartphone for either.

There are many andriod / iphone threads on this forum filled with useful apps, but I have a very good grocery / shopping list app that works great with coupons etc and making lists for multiple stores. I don't even use paper for my lists anymore it is so easy to use. "Mighty Grocery" is the name of that app. It also does recipes.

There is another good recipe app out on Android I used to have on the Palm Pre but I can't remember it now.

I put items into my EDC kit with a specific thought in mind as to why I would need / want to have them, but then I find the items come in useful all the time in ways I never even thought of.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »
Last night our furnace quit in the middle of the night. My DH wakes me up to tell me this new information. I tell him where the extra fuses are and then pull the blankets back up over my head. He jokes with me "What? You aren't going to get up and go change them right now?" I tell him that if he had been the one to think of pre-stocking furnace fuses, then I would be the one getting out of bed in the cold.

The house was warm this morning!

endurance

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 07:34:53 PM »
What's the difference between common sense and prepping?

Monday afternoon I got one of those texts that makes your heart skip a beat.  "Come home now, broken rib" from the wife.  I didn't bother going by my bosses desk to ask permission, I flew out the door and called on my run to the car.  She was with a friend visiting from out of state, showing off her mad innertubing skills to the friend's five year old when she lost control and hit the fence, taking out a 2x4 in the process.  We met at the hospital and everything went about as smoothly as any ER visit will (meaning lots of waiting, very little care).

In the end, the damage was not life threatening, "just" three broken ribs.  However, it means she won't be bringing home a paycheck for the next 4-6 weeks while she recovers. 

Here's where the common sense/prepping comes in:  20 months ago we ignored the fact that we "qualified" for a home that was more than twice what we paid and bought something affordable enough that we only need one income to support the mortgage and regular bills.  As a result, there's no pressure on her to go back to work before she's ready, there's no pressure on me to work overtime to make ends meet, and we can come out on the other side without having more debt than we started with.

So in a way, we're using our preps, but other than normal food rotation, we're not touching the food storage, we're not falling back on our cash reserves, and probably the only changes I'll be making is that a little less will be going into savings this month and I will put off a few purchases that I was planning before this happened.  As someone else said in their signature, prepping turns emergencies into mere inconveniences.

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
Good for you endurance. Hope the wife heals quickly.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 08:49:06 PM »
While bringing in the groceries this evening, my 6yo fiddled with the back of the doorknob and managed to lock me, her sister, and herself out of the house. Meanwhile the 2yo is inside watching TV, all alone. No biggie-just a quick jog to the hidden key and back inside in under a minute.