Author Topic: Thoughts on the new Quail Tracker?  (Read 787 times)

Offline jd350az

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Thoughts on the new Quail Tracker?
« on: October 16, 2017, 01:49:01 PM »
MoonValley and Jack and a third I am forgetting put together a kickstarter for it. Looks pretty cool, I was gonna build a small aviary like MV highlighted but I backed the project. Moving in 6 months to our homestead and will use it to get started.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1305553054/quail-tracker/

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Thoughts on the new Quail Tracker?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 02:27:08 PM »
For those without the skill to build anything it is an option. Seems pretty well thought out, but it is very pricey for what it is. I have never looked at purchased cages as most are lacking on features I find necessary and most are also much to small for any real farming. I hate to knock on anyone's projects and have nothing but respect for Jack, but I wouldn't consider buying one, but of course I build everything also.

One thing I see that is lacking is that you cannot run quail in a tractor with unprotected wire sides as I have learned. I have ran quail in tractors for years. I like quail, but they are not as smart as a stupid chicken. I had a young cat pull quail through 1/2" wire piece by piece and the quail would watch their neighbor and await their turn even though my tractors have a fully covered safe house attached where they could have went for safety. I have also had similar things happen on my hutch cages with opossums climbing up and pulling the quail through the bottom wire, had to move to double bottoms to prevent this. I had kept quail for years before that one happened and then lost 20 in one night. So for a tractor you want to add a solid wire taller than the quail around the outside of the cage to prevent this problem. You can also electrify the cage although you cannot electrify one with a wire bottom as you will shock the birds. You might be able to go for years without having a problem, these are things I have learned and you can skip these problems.

Another thing I like to do is to build smaller cages like the quail tractor in a triangle style. Makes them tougher and also allows them to go under row crops better. At least for small cages, larger cages cannot go between row crops anyway.

Offline Duck1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »
I went to Kickstarter to check out the quail tracker but couldn't figure out how to fund it. Is it still live?

Offline redrider

• Prepper
  • Purveyor of Post Drills
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 03:44:01 PM »
It has already been funded.

rr