Author Topic: Woodchuck / Groundhog  (Read 895 times)

Offline rapunzel

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Woodchuck / Groundhog
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:16:50 AM »
I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or in the hunting section, but anyways...

We have alot of pesky woodchucks on our property, in the past we have done the trap and release somewhere else method, but I've heard they're good eating, so the next one we get I plan on trying to cook up. Now I would suppose you probably gut and skin it like a rabbit, which I've never done but I've watched video of and am ready to have a go at (and possibly fail miserably my first time too!). I've also heard about some woodchuck-specific scent glands that should be removed? And also, I read somewhere about letting it "air out" for 48 hours before cooking it? Honestly that sounds like a terrible idea, but I've never done the whole process, from live animal to table, so please educate me!

And any cooking suggestions once it's ready for the pot? I was thinking some kinda veggie/potato crockpot stew (my garden is pumping out a ton right now and I thought it would be fun to whip up a completely homemade meal!