Author Topic: Making Oven Pan Bread  (Read 686 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Making Oven Pan Bread
« on: November 18, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
I experiment with bread making occasionally when I am alone at home.
I still get not get the bread to raise properly and I get a very hard crust every time.
So this time I took a shortcut.
I tried to make a bread that will rise and be fluffy and it is easy and quick to bake at the same time. It is about conserving the time and energy (see resources) which is always a good preparedness practice.

The recipe and its timeline
Time line indeed.
In the family recipe book there is a recipe for a “spongy” pizza dough. Other than flour and water it uses Baking powder, oil and Greek yogurt. Which is not much different from the Biscuit Bread recipe you have in the US.
I really wanted to cut down on the oil cos there is a whole cup of in a family sized pizza.
So one day I cut the oil used in half, and added crushed feta cheese and ham I the dough making what we call CheeseBread over here.
It baked fast in 15-20 minutes and that gave me the idea of using the same oven pan for bread making.

For this bread I also excluded the yogurt and what I was left with was;
  • 1 kg of all-purpose flour
    Water
    Half a cup of oil
    7 grams of dry yeast (some people use twice as much in their bread)
    A heaping table spoon of baking powder
    Some salt
This time I cheated big time and use a mixer to knead the dough. No hand work this time, I wanted to make it happen. And let the dough rise

I palced the dough in a warm sot for an hour or more and... I have never seen such streaks before!

After I transferred the dough to the baking pan (sized big enough to be finger high) I let it rest for a quarter and then baked it for 30 minutes on 180 deg Celcious while sprinkling the rising bread with water from time to time.
The result is pleasing indeed.

PS I had a small fail, somehow oiling the pan was not enough. The bread really sticked on the pan. Maybe I should add flour too next time.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:16:37 AM by GreekMan »