Author Topic: Christmas Pinwheel Cookies  (Read 671 times)

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
« on: December 15, 2013, 07:09:52 PM »
Original recipe here: http://www.justataste.com/2013/06/july-4-dessert-pinwheel-icebox-cookies/

These pinwheel cookies are a bit of work, but completely worth it. The original recipe was for 4th of July colors, but it's easy enough to turn them into Christmas cookies. You'll want to start them in the morning since they need to be refrigerated for several hours before baking.

I took some photos of the process and posted them in an album here (for all you visual learners like me).

Ingredients (high altitude in parentheses)
3 cups flour (3 cups + 2 Tbs)
1/2 tsp baking powder (1/4 tsp)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
(1 Tbs water)
Red and green food coloring

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside

Cream butter using an electric mixer or stand mixer. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating between each egg, then add vanilla

Add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Add water at this point if it seems a bit stiff. It should be very pliable, but shouldn't stick to your hands. Remove dough from bowl and separate into three equal pieces. Wrap one piece in plastic wrap and place in fridge.

Return 1/3 of dough to bowl. Add food coloring and beat on low until uniformly distributed. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in fridge. Repeat for the other color. (I shouldn't have to tell you this, but I know there are people like me out there that make a huge mess whenever they cook: red food coloring stains! If you spill any clean it up right away).

Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Remove 1/3 of dough from fridge and cut in half. Re-wrap one half and place back in fridge. Squish dough gently in your hands for a few seconds to warm it up. Shape it roughly into a rectangle (see link above for photos). This will help it stay the proper shape. Roll dough between two pieces of wax paper until it is about 1/8" thick. Set aside. Repeat for the other 2 pieces of dough.

Carefully peel the top layer of wax paper off the red dough (the paper will stick slightly to the now-warm dough). Do the same for the other two. Using the bottom piece of wax paper, carefully flip the white dough on top of the red dough, then remove the wax paper. Do the same for green. Tightly roll the dough into a log (this is the tricky part as the dough is very pliable when warm. It works best if you use your fingers to lift the starting edge, then use the palm of your hand to gently push across the top of the log to roll it). Wrap it first in wax paper then in plastic wrap and place in fridge.

Repeat the rolling process a second time. Take the first log out of the fridge and roll it on the counter a few times so that it doesn't develop a flat spot. You can either continue to check the logs and roll them, or stand them up in a glass in the fridge (I prefer the latter). Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (I've done it overnight without problems).

Preheat oven to 350 (360) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove the plastic wrap and wax paper from the log and slice it into 1/4" rounds using a sharp, straight-edged knife. The dough may start to squish on you, especially as you get to the end. You can gently reform it into a circle with your hands. For the end pieces, I also like to unroll and re-roll them since they are hard to slice and there is often a lot of space in the middle.

Place them about 2" apart on baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 (11-13) minutes. Transfer to cooling rack.

A bit more work than chocolate chip, to be sure, but these really are a crowd-pleaser!