Author Topic: Molecular Gastronomy And Serious Cooking  (Read 535 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
Molecular Gastronomy And Serious Cooking
« on: January 06, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »
I've been a big fan of food since I was knee high to a grasshopper and my grandpa took me to 2 different bakeries because one had better bread and the other better donuts. I know TSPers are big into gardening and food quality and I've seen my share of recipes here so I thought I'd take a long shot.

Anybody out there doing any molecular gastronomy? I'm no stranger to alginate baths and nitrous foams. I've dehydrated foams to get "carrot powder" to sprinkle on dishes. I put pop rocks in fruit salad. One of my all time favorites is cantaloup foam on blue cheese crackers.

These are the kind of things that differentiate a chef from a kitchen technician. It's pure science. I've worked through one of Adria's books, working through Myhrvold's epic, and considering Atchatz's next.

So maybe you've toyed with this stuff. Maybe you're just interested. I'd like to know if there's anybody out there interested in truly advanced cooking. Maybe swap recipes and explore concepts. If you're the person who thinks "ice cream made with milk that had Fruity Pebbles soaking in it overnight might be good (Momofuku in NYC)" drop a line. I'd love to chat.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?