Author Topic: Solar Stew  (Read 1063 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Solar Stew
« on: June 27, 2017, 04:19:27 PM »
     I put this here because there doesn't seem to be much interest in the "Sun Oven" board. I just had a plate of my first "solar" stew. My recipe was some carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, cabbage, mushrooms and a jar of home canned venison, (with the juice) along with some soy sauce and pepper. I put it all in a "boil-in-bag", good to 350 degrees.
     Next I put two cups of water into a large cookie tin that I had painted black and made a handle for, and sealed the lid. My "oven" was an old elliptical satellite TV dish that I had covered with aluminum self adhesive duct tape after turning it upside down so that it's arm would act as a place to hang the pot with a piece of light chain. I had mounted it on an old, heavy duty telescope tripod in such a way that I could raise and lower it's angle and turn it to track the sun (about every twenty minutes) and move the pot in and out to find the "hot" spot[size=78%] . [/size]
     I started to "cook about 11:00 am. By mid afternoon, I could hear the water in the pot simmering. I took the pot off at 4:30 pm. When I open it everything was steaming hot. I poured the finished stew into a serving bowl and dug in. Everything was well cooked. The veggies were tender and thoroughly done; the venison was of course precooked from canning, but was nice and hot.
     I got the idea from a You Tube video and it works! I don't know how practical it is, but it was fun to try. Now I'm going to see if I can "up" the efficiency with some insulation on the lid. Although, in a past test with water, I could get "steam", but not a rolling boil. Have to work on that.

[/size][size=78%] [/size]

LVWood

Re: Solar Stew
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:36:58 PM »
I really need to get or make a solar oven.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 04:40:40 PM »
Next will be solar popcorn? :popcorn:

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »
     Just before I die, I want to swallow as much unpopped popcorn as possible. I figure that when they cremate me, it'll be pretty spectacular.

LVWood

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:11:50 PM »
     Just before I die, I want to swallow as much unpopped popcorn as possible. I figure that when they cremate me, it'll be pretty spectacular.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: