Author Topic: Solar Stew  (Read 802 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Solar Stew
« on: June 27, 2017, 04:19:27 PM »
     I put this here because there doesn't seem to be much interest in the "Sun Oven" board. I just had a plate of my first "solar" stew. My recipe was some carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, cabbage, mushrooms and a jar of home canned venison, (with the juice) along with some soy sauce and pepper. I put it all in a "boil-in-bag", good to 350 degrees.
     Next I put two cups of water into a large cookie tin that I had painted black and made a handle for, and sealed the lid. My "oven" was an old elliptical satellite TV dish that I had covered with aluminum self adhesive duct tape after turning it upside down so that it's arm would act as a place to hang the pot with a piece of light chain. I had mounted it on an old, heavy duty telescope tripod in such a way that I could raise and lower it's angle and turn it to track the sun (about every twenty minutes) and move the pot in and out to find the "hot" spot[size=78%] . [/size]
     I started to "cook about 11:00 am. By mid afternoon, I could hear the water in the pot simmering. I took the pot off at 4:30 pm. When I open it everything was steaming hot. I poured the finished stew into a serving bowl and dug in. Everything was well cooked. The veggies were tender and thoroughly done; the venison was of course precooked from canning, but was nice and hot.
     I got the idea from a You Tube video and it works! I don't know how practical it is, but it was fun to try. Now I'm going to see if I can "up" the efficiency with some insulation on the lid. Although, in a past test with water, I could get "steam", but not a rolling boil. Have to work on that.

[/size][size=78%] [/size]
Today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Offline LVWood

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Solar Stew
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:36:58 PM »
I really need to get or make a solar oven.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 04:40:40 PM »
Next will be solar popcorn? :popcorn:
Why is it that the same people who use science to convince you of Global Warming,refuse DNA Science that proves you are male or female.

Government solves few problems that it does not first create.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »
     Just before I die, I want to swallow as much unpopped popcorn as possible. I figure that when they cremate me, it'll be pretty spectacular.
Today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Offline LVWood

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:11:50 PM »
     Just before I die, I want to swallow as much unpopped popcorn as possible. I figure that when they cremate me, it'll be pretty spectacular.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: