Author Topic: help, cooking corned beef  (Read 1286 times)

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
help, cooking corned beef
« on: January 11, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
Ok, I picked up a Reuben at my favorite deli but at $12 it getting pricey. I'm thinking about cooking a brisket myself but it never seems to have that same "deli taste". I use the spice packet that comes with the brisket it just doesn't taste as good. I wonder if one knew what that spice was one could add a big hand full in the pot. How dose one at home get that "deli" taste?

Offline redrider

• Prepper
  • Purveyor of Post Drills
Re: help, cooking corned beef
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 02:15:32 PM »
My advice: skip boiling the corned beef!

Cook it in the oven at a low temp (4-7lbs, aprox 5 hours at 250°F) using the spice packet provided,  and here is the secret - use a Reynolds oven bag.

We get excellent results this way.

Hope this helps.

rr

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:18:37 PM »
My advice: skip boiling the corned beef!

Cook it in the oven at a low temp (4-7lbs, aprox 5 hours at 250°F) using the spice packet provided,  and here is the secret - use a Reynolds oven bag.

We get excellent results this way.

Hope this helps.

rr

Interesting...

So, you put the brisket in the bag with no "liquid" and use the spice packet like a dry rub?

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »
I boil but finish in the oven. Also make sure to clean it up really well.

I do add more of my own spices. Mustard, allspice, thyme, bay, and paprika are blended in the mortar and pestle. Rub this with salt the day before (after trimming) and let sit overnight for best flavor penetration.

YMMV

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:26 PM »
If I remember correctly there are 2 cuts of brisket, flat and point is one better then the other?

Offline redrider

• Prepper
  • Purveyor of Post Drills
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
So, you put the brisket in the bag with no "liquid" and use the spice packet like a dry rub?
Exactly!

We also rinse off most of the red jelly gunk before cooking.

And like Chad says, there are two cuts of corned beef, flat cut and point cut. I assume flat cut is supposed to be better since it's usually more expensive but I like them both. Point cut is a smidge more greasy - but that has it's bonus points too!

rr

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 03:30:26 PM »
If I remember correctly there are 2 cuts of brisket, flat and point is one better then the other?

Flat cut tends to have less fat and straighter grain that the point cut, though each has their appeal. Point cut is better for shredding, while a flat cut is better for slicing. Sounds like you may want a flat cut for your purposes, which is mostly what's sold in grocery stores anyway.

We almost always shred ours and eat it with potatoes and cabbage (like the good northern European people that we are), so I cook it in the slow cooker. Comes out great every time. Though, if you really want to go nuts, I recommend brining it yourself. I did this last summer and the taste was far better than anything I've ever bought at the store.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 04:09:00 PM »
I’ve got canned corned beef in storage.  To rotate it out I used it to make ruebens. Not as good as the real thing, but a reasonable facsimile.  Just sort of a side note for you.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 05:33:03 PM »
Thanks all...

I did a little digging, the "spice" that gives corned beef it flavor is called mixed pickling spice, dose that sound right? If so I'll add about a pound to the dry rub :)

Mixed pickling spice:
Mustard seed
Cinnamon
Ginger
Bay
Red pepper
Caraway
Allspice
Black pepper
Coriander
Clove

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 06:47:22 PM »
I’ve got canned corned beef in storage.  To rotate it out I used it to make ruebens. Not as good as the real thing, but a reasonable facsimile.  Just sort of a side note for you.

I got a stash of that also :)

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 09:05:07 PM »
If you spice your own, it also won't be that bright pink color unless you add saltpeter (potassium nitrate) to it, unless it's already been added at the store. I didn't add any when I made mine (though used plenty of regular salt), and it still tasted great.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 04:41:45 AM »
I got a stash of that also :)

Why does that not surprise me ;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 05:49:20 AM »
  What?....no corn in corned beef?  The pickling spice does sound interesting and may help some of the freeze dried meats that I have taste better when I reconstitute them and try to make them taste better...

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 06:33:48 AM »
To do a proper corned beef takes 5 days . You are turning it every 12 hours in a brine that has pickling spices and either saltpeter or pink salt ( sodium nitrate ) . The recipe in Davie Nash bookhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01227EAG8/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1515763764&sr=1-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=52+food
Works good as does his instructions to take it the next step and make pastrami out of it. Had some of the pastrami new years day that had been hanging in the pantry for 11 months. 

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor

Offline raginrick

• Prepper
  • Glad I Found TSP
    • allzombienews
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 12:18:43 PM »
I use low and slow in the crock pot. Put it in early in the morning. During St Paddys day i add half of a cabbage. Delicious and better than the deli in my opinion.