Author Topic: How to cook Reindeer (Tjälknöl)  (Read 537 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
How to cook Reindeer (Tjälknöl)
« on: January 16, 2018, 07:59:12 AM »
I was reading Swedish news this morning and came across this. I used to live where we had reindeer/Cariboo, but we could not hunt them. But I would think this would work with elk, moose, beef, etc.

At least 1kg (2lb) frozen boneless piece of reindeer :D
1000 ml (4 cups) water
 250g (1 cup) salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 bay leaf
1 tsp crushed black pepper
2 tbsp crushed juniper berries

1. Put the frozen meat on a rack in an oven heated to 75C (170F) or as near to that as you can get.

2. After two or three hours insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat. The meat will be ready when the thermometer reads 65C (150F). Allow about one hour per 100 grams (15 minutes per ounce), but be guided entirely by the meat thermometer as ovens vary so much at low temperatures.

3. When the meat is cooked, mix the water, salt, sugar, bay leaves, black pepper and juniper berries in a saucepan and bring to the boil.

4. Place the cooked meat in a bowl just big enough to hold it or use a large polythene bag and pour the hot marinade over the meat, ensuring that all the meat is covered. Put a lid on the bowl or tie the bag and leave to cool completely for 4 or 5 hours.

5. Remove the meat from its marinade, pat dry and slice as thinly as possible.

Tjälknöl should be served cold and sliced as thinly as possible. It is usually accompanied by potatisgratäng (potato gratin) and/or fried diced root vegetables and rårörda lingon (stirred lingonberries) and/or syltad svamp (pickled mushrooms).

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: How to cook Reindeer (Tjälknöl)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:31:34 AM »
Interesting.  Well I know that I like lingonberries.  But I'm not a fan of juniper.

Be ready to crack open the wallet, reindeer meat is kind of expensive online.  Here's a 5-6 pound leg roast for $300.  Not something I'm willing to pay.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: How to cook Reindeer (Tjälknöl)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 12:53:15 PM »
When I lived in Canada, I had reindeer not thirty miles from my home. They actually have a reindeer farm in Eastern Oregon too, near Redmond. We stop, get out,  and watch them at the fence when are are that way. SP always wonders where Rudolph is. I have to say he is helping Santa in North Pole, Alaska maybe.

Cedar