Author Topic: Did I Can this Correctly?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Apricaught

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Did I Can this Correctly?
« on: August 15, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
Summary: I water-bath canned a freezer recipe.  Will I die?

My Bell Blue Book Guide to Preserving (2012) had a recipe for lemon curd and specified that it was intended to be stored in the freezer.  Instead I hot-pack-water-bath-canned it.

Justification: the recipe uses way sugar and way lemon juice, causing it to be (of course) way acidic.  But it also contains egg yolks and butter.  I tasted some of the remainders in the pot, and it is definitely acidic -- much more so than jam.

I cooked it on the stove until it jelled (just like jam) and then I hot-packed it and water-bathed it for 15 minutes.  Who knows if it is still lemon curd at this stage, considering the extra heat from processing.

Other question: I over-estimated the number of jars I would need, and had two jars/rings/lids left over.  It it okay to use a lid that had been heated before, but not actually used?

Thanks.
and then we decided that all the candidates should wear balloon-animal hats

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Did I Can this Correctly?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:47:44 PM »
Justification: the recipe uses way sugar and way lemon juice, causing it to be (of course) way acidic.  But it also contains egg yolks and butter.  I tasted some of the remainders in the pot, and it is definitely acidic -- much more so than jam.

I would keep it in the fridge and use ASAP. For a second opinion call your Extension service food preservation hotline. Usually in the blue pages in the phone book. If you get stuck, look for 4-H youth services.

You might not die, but you could be in the bathroom for a fair bit of time, you might rather be doing something funner.  :-\

Other question: I over-estimated the number of jars I would need, and had two jars/rings/lids left over.  It it okay to use a lid that had been heated before, but not actually used?

Yep. Save them for next time.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."
- Cedar

"Time shall unfold what plighted cunning hides,
Who covers faults, at last with shame derides."
- King Leer Act I, Sc I, Ln 263

"What happens when a nation, although acting consistently with its own laws, behaves so monstrously that other nations, and eventually history itself, are compelled to condemn it?" - R. Noak

"The free press is the despot’s enemy, which makes the free press the guardian of democracy. When a figure in power reflexively calls any press that doesn’t suit him 'fake news,' it is that person who should be the figure of suspicion, not the press"- J.F.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Apricaught

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
Thanks, Cedar.
I would keep it in the fridge and use ASAP. For a second opinion call your Extension service food preservation hotline. Usually in the blue pages in the phone book. If you get stuck, look for 4-H youth services.

You might not die, but you could be in the bathroom for a fair bit of time, you might rather be doing something funner.  :-\

Ugh, I can't find it in the phone book, and I can't find it online either.  Utah has lots of extensions; CA likes to talk about them but they never show up.  Oh well.

I have found a few recipes that use the same ingredients (in a somewhat different proportion) and are water-bath canned.  Which is nice to know, I guess.

Yep. Save them for next time.

Cedar
Thanks!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »
Try this one Phone: 435.797.2200.  I call different state extensions all the time when I get something which stumps me, like 40 pounds of coconut milk.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."
- Cedar

"Time shall unfold what plighted cunning hides,
Who covers faults, at last with shame derides."
- King Leer Act I, Sc I, Ln 263

"What happens when a nation, although acting consistently with its own laws, behaves so monstrously that other nations, and eventually history itself, are compelled to condemn it?" - R. Noak

"The free press is the despot’s enemy, which makes the free press the guardian of democracy. When a figure in power reflexively calls any press that doesn’t suit him 'fake news,' it is that person who should be the figure of suspicion, not the press"- J.F.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Apricaught

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »
Try this one Phone: 435.797.2200.  I call different state extensions all the time when I get something which stumps me, like 40 pounds of coconut milk.

Cedar

I can't seem to get anyone on the phone, but that's okay.  I'll just throw out what I have and make some more based on the canning-intended recipes I found online.

Thanks for going the extra mile to help me out -- I deeply appreciate it.