Author Topic: Advice/Recommendations/Help - I currently hate carrying my gun  (Read 23984 times)

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
Re: Advice/Recommendations/Help - I currently hate carrying my gun
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »
I have to agree with the Professor's assessment.  For years I bought holsters from a custom shop until his health turned (Gallagher) and now all I use for serious purposes is either Milt Sparks (his summer special was my go to IWB in tropical climates) or Mitch Rosen.  I've had some of these systems sinice 96ish and all time has done is add character. 

I have to ask the following question:

What won't break the bank?

I'll give you an example. . .I've worn Milt Sparks' holsters, carrier and belt for 15 years.  My original set cost me around $175 (55BN holster, double-thickness belt, double mag carrier and flashlight holder).  I bought my black set in 98-99 for that amount.  It has been all over the world with me from Afghanistan to Europe, Central America to Australia.  Strong and durable, it has been touched up a couple of times to restain parts, but the belt is comfortable, that particular holster is a high(er) ride with 15-degree forward cant and metal-supported opening.  From countless IDPA, IPSC and 3-gun match starting beeps to "GOTW! GOTW! (abbreviated for those sensitive to what some may consider inappropriate terms) in very hot, dusty areas.

If you want comfort and longevity, consider spending a bit more for quality stuff.

Just some thoughts.

The Professor

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »
My holster is a Tagua (think it's a 4in1, but don't rightly remember) in black.  It's a leather open-top, and has both a leather belt loop thingy to ride on your belt, and a clip to put it IWB.  OWB, it's snug on your side.

My off-duty/CC is a .40 Shield, which is INFINITELY more comfortable to carry than the G27 I used to haul around.  ::)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »
I've looked at Milt Sparks and those are nice. I really love my current IWB and think I may give them a shot at a hybrid OWB like this:

I like the idea of the leather back and the kydex front. My IWB is a hybrid like this and it is great. I'll have to see. I still haven't purchased anything yet... I may go for the Sparks setup... so many good choices out there.

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 07:21:04 PM »
I've looked at Milt Sparks and those are nice. I really love my current IWB and think I may give them a shot at a hybrid OWB like this:

I like the idea of the leather back and the kydex front. My IWB is a hybrid like this and it is great. I'll have to see. I still haven't purchased anything yet... I may go for the Sparks setup... so many good choices out there.

I always found leather against the skin made me sweat more and "soaked" into the gun. How do you negate this or have you seen this problem? I assume your current carry holster is leather just going off that post?

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 02:07:48 AM »
I wear an undershirt between me and the leather. It still builds up in the leather over time, but it helps keep it from sticking to your skin.

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 05:07:35 AM »
I like my hybrid IWB holster but it feels a little bulky sometimes, especially when I have to leave my gun in the car and cant easily take off the holster. So on days when I know I might be going somewhere that I cant carry, I use a cheap uncle mikes. Its easy to take on and off but holds the weapon to high on my belt and is flimsy. Any suggestions for a kydex that has a little smaller profile? I carry a shield if that matters.

endurance

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 07:01:09 AM »
I like my hybrid IWB holster but it feels a little bulky sometimes, especially when I have to leave my gun in the car and cant easily take off the holster. So on days when I know I might be going somewhere that I cant carry, I use a cheap uncle mikes. Its easy to take on and off but holds the weapon to high on my belt and is flimsy. Any suggestions for a kydex that has a little smaller profile? I carry a shield if that matters.
I leave the holster on. There is no law in any state regarding "carrying a concealed empty holster" that I've found yet. ;)

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 07:05:43 AM »
I leave the holster on. There is no law in any state regarding "carrying a concealed empty holster" that I've found yet. ;)

Yea. I do that sometimes too. I like options tho. Plus it feels weird when you take your belt off to go thru a metal detector and pull off an empty holster.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2014, 07:12:21 AM »
I always found leather against the skin made me sweat more and "soaked" into the gun. How do you negate this or have you seen this problem? I assume your current carry holster is leather just going off that post?

Yup, my current holster is the Infidel Ultra from Comp Tac:

I assure you the name had nothing to do with the choice  ::)

It is the best IWB holster I’ve ever worn. I had a Galco King Tuk (pancake design like the Crossbreed) and that holster was ok… but I ended up not liking it.

As far as leather against the skin it doesn’t bother me too much. It can be a little wearisome in the summers here, but if I really don’t want to deal with it that day I’ll OC and that’s that. In the wintertime it’s great. The quality of the holster is why I may consider going with their hybrid for OWB.

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 04:24:24 AM »
http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-belts/original-instructor-belt/

Original Instructor belt. Not leather, but stiff as hell. I've been wearing mine for a few years now. Great gun belt. Also, if/when the velcro wears down they'll replace it for you. Lose weight? They'll resize the belt for you. Not bad. . .

My OWB pick: JS Holsters Paddle Holster. It's all kydex, no retention strap, so that part might not work for ya. I've been happy with mine. Holds my Glock 30s tight to me. I also have one for my Kel-Tec PF9. That little pistol will disappear on me, and I nearly forget I'm carrying. It's a great summer carry.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 06:06:04 AM »
Another idea that I forgot to mention in my last reply is a shoulder holster. It is highly dependant on how you dress, and it is not for everyone.

My recommendation is to buy a cheaper nylon shoulder holster to test the concept before you spring for a nice on like a galco Miami classic II. The way I normally dress when I leave the house on my rare days where I am completely off, it works quite well. (T-shirt and a short sleeve button up shirt, both untucked and in buttoned, over jeans or cargo shorts)

If you are carrying a gun, and something else, spare mags, handcuffs, mace, radio, etc, it can become even more convenient, especially with a full size gun. However from everyone I have talked to it is a love it or hate it method.

It also simplifies using public restroom facilities.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 07:17:46 AM »
I've thought about a shoulder rig but I don't think that's really my style, and I usually don't dress in an over shirt/jacket. Personally I feel like OCing a shoulder rig would be obnoxious. I won't fault anyone for doing it, but it's not my style.

Offline Coda45

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2015, 06:41:20 PM »

If you conceal carry, you need to have an Under Armor type shirt next to your skin
first then the holster and gun. I wear UA or some type of shirt like this. Sports shops
have these also. Then I wear an sleeve type shirt and leave the tail out to cover the
CC. In summer I carry a XDs9 with a IWB holster and here in Northern Arizona in the
winter I carry a G23 usually covered by a coat or sweater.

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2016, 05:44:52 PM »
Since I've had several people comment on my "leather against skin" comment, I wanted to tell you what my solution to the problem was. I carry a G19 as my EDC [now I probably carried something else at the start of this). I've learned 2 things since I joined this forum. Number 1, the right holster makes all the difference in the world. Number 2, people are idiots,  they don't know what you don't tell them.

Ok, so I started carrying my G19 as my EDC in a N82D or nate tactical.com holster. It's pretty great. Leather for the gun side and sheepskin on the wearer's side. This is a tuckable holster and I've found that if I tuck my undershirt over the gun, I never get questioned. So even if my Polo comes up, the gun doesn't show, but it still prints. As I said before, if you don't say you carry, no one actually seems to notice.

As far as an undershirt between a holster and the weapon, I've also started carrying on the weekends in a kydex holster. Yes,yes,yes, an undershirt against the skin between the weapon and skin is a definite must.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2016, 12:32:26 PM »
    OT  When I first started to carry years ago I was at a barn sale and two 5 or 6 year old,s were looking at an air soft gun. When I looked at it I was surprised and said it looks just like my gun. One of the 6 year old's looked at me and right off pointed to my well concealed XD 40 and asked if that was my gun. I said no, it was my coalasipie bag. He ran over and asked his Dad what a coalsipie bag was and pointed to me. His Dad would not let the boys come near me while they were there.

Offline Newtopian

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2016, 08:07:00 AM »
Take a look at Alien Gear Holsters (http://aliengearholsters.com/search-by-gun).  I had the same complaints carrying my pistol.
Don't let the low prices fool you. These are comfortable and well built.

Yup. Second this ^^^^

Offline khelben

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »
I get all my holsters and belts from Concealment Solutions https://www.concealmentsolutions.com/

I've had the horsehide belt (http://www.concealmentsolutions.com/product-p/horsehide_belt_15.htm) for years and I wear it every day. It's comfortable, durable, and holds up my pants very well when carrying inside or outside the waste band with extra mags.

I interchange a few firearms depending on what I am wearing and where I am going. Sometimes I carry:

Highly recommend the products. All of the products I have used have made carrying safe and comfortable for me.