Author Topic: My multi-tool quest.  (Read 29448 times)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: My multi-tool quest.
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2015, 05:46:58 AM »
I'm tempted to email the maker. Talk about a solution. I wonder where the parts come from... Victorinox is kinda secretive.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2015, 09:50:48 AM »
I'm tempted to email the maker. Talk about a solution. I wonder where the parts come from... Victorinox is kinda secretive.

In sleuthing some forums, I gathered that he cannabilizes parts from stock knives, gets the Torx stuff from knifekits.com, drills out the the scales and tools with a basic drill press and vice setup, and uses a metal plating vendor for the anodizing.

I'm kind of tempted to try it, but I know I'll bugger up a couple before I get the hang of it. I wonder how a Duracoat spray finish compares to hard anodizing when it comes to wear?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2015, 09:54:51 AM »
cool. i see yet another winter time project.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2015, 12:12:38 AM »
YouTube review of the custom SAK, lets you see it in action compared to stock SAKs.  I'm really liking this layout, it's about as efficient as I can imagine possible in a reasonable form factor, but I'm guessing $300 or more.

https://youtu.be/JEJD8vX0SJY

Offline Lostjagged

• Survivor
  • The Biker Prepper
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2015, 12:15:58 AM »
I've always carried the Leatherman Wave on my belt.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »
I got a request because I mentioned it elsewhere... (Sorry Freelancer)...

Yes, the Outrider has become my "around the house" carry replacing the beloved Swisschamp. It's lighter and most of the tools it misses that are on the Swisschamp aren't spur of the moment tools. I find incredible value (as we've all agreed in previous posts) in both flathead and Phillips screwdrivers, scissors, knife, tweezers, and toothpick. I have no idea why Victorinox thinks I need a saw to EDC...

The Swisschamp now resides on the coffee table as a nail file, coupon scissors, pen, etc. but its weight has cost it the "around the house" role. I find it hits home being stationary.

All this said, I still carry a SOG Trident and a SAK Classic for EDC. But around the house I want a little tool option without the clunk of my Leatherman or Swisschamp and for now the Outrider fills that role. It's a medium duty compromise. But for now it's the best I have.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2015, 08:36:51 PM »
I carry the Trekker on my keychain every day in my left pocket.  Excellent daily carry.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2015, 10:22:56 PM »
Interesting stuff, guys.  Thanks.

I've been comparing various SAKs to what I've been EDC-ing for a couple of years and it's interesting to see the similar dimensions between them.  I'm really impressed with how much thinner the Alox scales are when containing the same layers of tools and I think I'd be willing to give up the tooth pick, tweezers, and corkscrew for it.  The Alox Classic compared to the standard in the picture on the right is nearly half as thick!  The Black Alox Pioneer on the left feels really svelte compared to the Compact, too.  These are the first Alox SAKs I've handled for any amount of time and I'm really liking them.

Comparing the various sizes to my EDC Buck Vantage knives reveals that the length is quite similar to the standard and large SAKs.  If I could get the one-hand opening blade on an Outrider, sans saw, with Alox scales and a low riding clip, I'd be in heaven.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2015, 07:35:11 AM »
Apparently, there are guys who mod SAKs, for a price that I'm afraid to inquire about.
freelancer i hate you for this link...
now let me see...one knife + one scizzors + one saw blade + one owl = ?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2015, 08:02:39 AM »
now let me see...one knife + one scizzors + one saw blade + one owl = ?

why does your SAK need an owl? wont that make it hard to fit in your pocket? and be rather noisy? ;)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2015, 09:17:14 AM »
Haaaaa,  Archer!    :P

That's the cool thing about multi-tools, they can be as unique as the user specifies.   For me, the tweezers are one of the most used items on my SAK.  I've pulled so many splinters over the years. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2015, 09:32:52 AM »
Haaaaa,  Archer!    :P

That's the cool thing about multi-tools, they can be as unique as the user specifies.   For me, the tweezers are one of the most used items on my SAK.  I've pulled so many splinters over the years. 

the tweezers are often used in mine also.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2015, 10:32:09 AM »
I use the tweezers weekly as I get slivers in my workshop frequently. I also get good mileage from the toothpick as I have a slight gap in my back teeth. I also demand a corkscrew because I've been without one too many times (and I like the little screwdriver).

I haven't jumped into the alox grip camp for these reasons. I like the modder's concept and I'd love more options with the Swisschamp phillips (which is a brilliant tool) but I'm not willing to give up the two tools I use the most. Maybe I need to cool my jets as I always carry a Classic as a backup.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »
why does your SAK need an owl? wont that make it hard to fit in your pocket? and be rather noisy? ;)

touche...
and thanks god yuo caught this. i was about to put this on a cage!  :egyptian:

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »
Maybe I need to cool my jets as I always carry a Classic as a backup.

I'll still be carrying the Rambler with my keys, too, regardless of whatever else I've got with me. That's a hard tool to beat for my needs.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2015, 11:58:08 AM »

Welcome to the crack...err...I mean...SAK house! 

Offline buckaroo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2018, 07:56:33 AM »
I have a bunch but carry the Skeletool. I want one where I can open the knife without opening the whole darn tool......

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2018, 07:44:58 AM »
     Because of an issue in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, during an open fire ban, one of my criteria for a multi-tool is that the "pliers" must be able to open a stuck fuel tank cap on a Coleman gasoline stove. Not all will, and if you have a stuck fuel cap, you aren't going to be cooking for long (at least legally with a stove).

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2018, 06:17:31 AM »
     Because of an issue in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, during an open fire ban, one of my criteria for a multi-tool is that the "pliers" must be able to open a stuck fuel tank cap on a Coleman gasoline stove. Not all will, and if you have a stuck fuel cap, you aren't going to be cooking for long (at least legally with a stove).

You mean that a tool must actually 'work' and not just look pretty?