Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Emergency Preparations / Re: Is kitchen foil fireproof?
« Last post by shadowalker_returns on Today at 09:37:05 PM »
No, Foil will not work in that capacity. Don't cheap yourself to death on this issue. Fire is a real concern as it is one of the most common disasters that strike a modern family. Buy a proper fire rated box. Rated by UL or somebody without a horse in the race so you have some assurance that it will perform as it states on its packaging. By the way do you know what the next most expensive damage is in a fire... Water. Even when things survive the fire they are often irreparably damaged by the water used to fight the fire. This is why the better fireboxes/safe also have a water intrusion rating as well. Cash and important papers are a critical aspect to getting your life back on track after a personal life altering event (which is what a house fire is, I know cause I went through an apartment fire when i lived in San Fransisco, Ca.). Budget for it the same as you would any major prep or firearm and get yourself something you can count on. Develop a method to secure/hide it and be happy that you've made the right choice.

Regards,
Shadowalker
Emergency Preparations / Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Last post by Alan Georges on Today at 09:28:59 PM »
Chemo...
Oh man.  Hope you get to feeling better Carl.  Thoughts and prayers brother, thoughts and prayers.
I've thought about the helmet issue for a lot of years. In the end I chose to wear a motorcycle helmet when I'm on my Honda CB750K. A bike helmet when on my bicycle and I bought surplus riot helmets for the rest of the family when there were being dumped for $17.99 from an on-line surplus dealer. I think it was "Major Surplus and Survival".  I will be getting appropriate helmets for my boys if we proceed with the quad purchases as well. I believe in head protection as head injuries are game changers. I don't believe the Tactical and tacticool helmets are worth the money unless you are going into harms way on purpose and often. Even in the military Helmets were for ancillary damage of shrapnel and bump protection not bullets. The action sports market is producing a lot of options if you want a way to mount some affordable gear on your head. The reason i bought the surplus helmets was to provide some head protection during a forced vehicular bugout during civil unrest as they provide quite good protection against hand thrown objects and debris.

Regards,
Shadowalker

PS: I also have my hardhats available from my construction days. In Red, White, Green, Yellow and Brown. The company I worked for at the time required all on-site engineers and chief foremen to wear white hats and all safety personal to wear red hats (i served in both capacities). The others I somehow acquired throughout the years.
Emergency Preparations / Re: how to survive nuclear war
« Last post by shadowalker_returns on Today at 08:45:02 PM »
I use to worry about Global Thermo Nuclear war... Now I don't. Here's why:

1) unless you are at Ground zero, within the fireball or within the greater than (5 psi) overpressure area you can survive the initial attack. Your greatest worry should be debris generated by the blast overpressure and shock-wave.
Solution: Take cover until the shock-wave and its reverse pressure wave passes. Then Leave.

2) Three things you need to know... 1.Time 2. Distance and 3. Shielding. This is to deal with the aftermath of the attack. if you were far enough away to survive the initial attack "radiation sickness" isnt going to kill you for awhile.. How long depends on the total exposure.

3) to buy you Time you need Distance and/or Shielding.  Fallout will take hours up to weeks to settle out of the air so you have some time to run or prepare a shelter.

4) In general the important thing about shielding is mass.. you need 150#/cubic foot of mass to reduce the exposure to a level that has long term survival potential. the type of mass doesn't really matter. if its light weight then you need to stack more of it until  you get at least 150# in each and every square foot of shielded area. this will reduce your exposure by half. More mass is better as it provides more protection. By the way water is about 64#/cubic foot...

5) Bugging out of a major city after an attack will be impossible. Look what happed to Houston and New Orleans. Now imagine every major city in the same boat...

6) after surviving the initial blast (unless you managed to get out before the mad rush) plan on a long term bug in with a whole lot of badness on the outside. Improvise shielding utilizing whatever mass you have available until you get the required amount. reconcile yourself to whatever exposure you must to get your shelter in place.

7) Plan for needs not specific events. if you follow the tenets of modern survivalism you will have most of what you need to survive. you just need to add shielding and air filtering to your preps. Beware of Fire!!

8) if your thinking about the problem of GTW then get Cresson R Kearny's book Nuclear War Survival Skills. He has Passed (at the ripe old age of 89). There is a kindle edition for $4.00 and there are free PDF floating around. Get at least the 1987 edition. There is also a 2012 edition  with an edit by someone else as he died before 2012. Free link
 www.oism.org/nwss

For the geek in you..https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1122/ML11229A721.pdf

9) As DR Clayton said... There's No Such Thing As Doomsday (its his book) . I say There's No Such Thing As Doomsday for those of us who have prepared for Doomsday... :)
« Last post by Lostjagged on Today at 08:07:49 PM »
After a 5 day trip to Sturgis with my go bag I'm dumping half the clothing in it for food/water space, and changed the chain and sprocket on my bike.
With daily checks on my garden I noticed that the zuccini plant finally came up but I'm not getting much off of it this year. Due to some idiot's oversight (mine) the tomatoes have taken the whole bed and killed most my peppers.
Last but not least is that i'm getting back into this exercise thing.
  Go for it ,let me know if you find SSB of any practical use in a portable radio
Amateur Radio How-To's / Re: lost in the amings of a DIY handheld antenna
« Last post by Carl on Today at 05:12:16 PM »
one more question...
What other lengths would work without a loading coil?
I will assume 3/4? 1/8? (IIRC Carl once said that odd wavelength quarters do)

Without special matching coils or capacitors,stick to 1/4 as the radio is half of the antenna and few radios are 15 inches or so long...you will have poor performance boost from anything over 1/4 wave and as you can't measure SWR without adding cable or analyzer to the mix...you will be better off to cut the antenna to length and LEAVE IT ALONE! Unless you plan to leave the coax and SWR meter permanently in line as they alter the antenna significantly.

Note that unless you have plenty of hardware laying around ,you can BUY this antenna at lower cost than building one from purchased parts and while it may work ,improper SWR from improper length can damage the radio Transmitter over time .
The HAM Radio Board / Re: Putting up a tower. Looking for input
« Last post by Carl on Today at 04:59:37 PM »
  With a house bracket and a 6 to 10 bags of sakrete as a base,you will do just fine.

You really need a pad that is slightly above the level of the ground to help prevent rust or oxidation of the tower and allow weep holes near the ground to allow condensation inside tower legs to escape.

This might help also:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ZIZLZV4AwIcDJiYWNWVjNEeUU/view?usp=sharing
« Last post by Carl on Today at 04:41:14 PM »
Chemo...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10