Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Food Storage / Re: Beans 6 years later
« Last post by Redman on Today at 03:52:03 AM »
Maybe this will help. It claims about 3 1/2 times increase. Doesn't mention the amount of liquid.

https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/12284/how-much-do-dry-beans-expand-when-soaked
The Gear and Tool Review Board / Re: Firecord
« Last post by iam4liberty on Yesterday at 11:02:40 PM »
Wouldn't fire cord boot laces or such be a bit risky around campfires, welding, etc?  Just seems like a strange combination.  I would rather have distinct fire making tinder, rather than embed into into other products. It would just be my luck to try to escape a wildfire and have my pants belt, boot laces, compass lanyard, watch band burst into flame and I end up running out of the woods half nekked and lost!

It should be safe.  Since the strand is inside, it is insulated from heat and no oxygen can get to it.  The fire would have to burn through the outer material first.  In other words, you would have to be on fire already.

That said you do bring up an interesting point on clothing.  One of my friends is a helicopter pilot and he will wear no synthetic materials because he believes that they will "melt" during an accident causing extreme burns.  Is there some proof of this?  I am not sure.  But he really believes it.
The Gear and Tool Review Board / Re: Firecord
« Last post by NWPilgrim on Yesterday at 09:52:33 PM »
Wouldn't fire cord boot laces or such be a bit risky around campfires, welding, etc?  Just seems like a strange combination.  I would rather have distinct fire making tinder, rather than embed into into other products. It would just be my luck to try to escape a wildfire and have my pants belt, boot laces, compass lanyard, watch band burst into flame and I end up running out of the woods half nekked and lost!
Firearms Legislation And News / Re: post vegas shooting
« Last post by NWPilgrim on Yesterday at 09:38:08 PM »
Libertarian Party issues strong statement against "placebo politics":

https://www.lp.org/why-guns-matter/

Why guns matter

by Staff on October 4, 2017 in News

In the aftermath of the Las Vegas terrorist attack...

Very well written article.  It brought out some ideas I had not explicitly considered before: many ways to kill, but few effective means for defense, guns being one of the best.

I think another thing s that has to be drummed hard on, is "It is ridiculous to even talk about new gun laws when we still do not have police evidence released yet stating which, if any, of the guns in the hotel room were shot, which, if any caused death or injury."  We have politicians running around trying to stir up a panic when all we have is one photo of a couple of rifles out of the 23 that were supposedly found.  One of those had a bump stock.  We don't know if it was actually fired.  We don't even know based on released information if the alleged shooter actually did any shooting.  How insane is it to even discuss ANY new laws, let alone gun laws, when we have practically zero evidence released?

I would use the above argument just to cool off any hot head anxious to pass a law.  The fundamental issue is more along the lines of the above article: guns are uniquely suited for personal defense unlike a multitude of other means for killing people, and therefore must not be restricted.
If Bitcoin is the new gold, why hasn't gold gained alongside Bitcoin?

Yes, the cryptos are eating each other.

But what do they really offer? Stocks offer gains and dividends. Metals offer a store of wealth. Bitcoin is a currency that takes 30 minutes to close a sale.

I could be wrong. And those who held the Bitcoin I sold were correct... for now. I can't tell you when this will collapse.
Communications / Re: network Gigabit Adapter
« Last post by surfivor on Yesterday at 08:23:08 PM »
 The Wi-Fi used to work fine before. I am not sure if there is interference caused by other Wi-Fi systems from the neighbors. So there is no explanation as to why it stopped working . Trying something completely different seems like a strategy
Firearms Legislation And News / Re: post vegas shooting
« Last post by iam4liberty on Yesterday at 06:06:49 PM »
Good explanation of ATF decision on bump stocks from one who helped make it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kryIJIrD5eQ

The NRA was very disingenuous in their criticism given that they were accurately following the definitions as laid out by law.  However, it does confirm (as do other statements from the officers involved) that the decision was sent up the chain of command and so that was factually true.
« Last post by Stwood on Yesterday at 04:37:59 PM »
As beans enlarge by absorbing liquids from the batch,I don't see that it can go wrong. Just allow for a good bean to liquid ratio.
Just my opinion.

If we can convince the wife about that, we'll be golden.  ;D
« Last post by Carl on Yesterday at 03:45:14 PM »
I have googled with no success of Jackie's method. I've found references, but not an actual *here's how I do it*.

Beans enlarge, so how much to put in a quart mason?

As beans enlarge by absorbing liquids from the batch,I don't see that it can go wrong. Just allow for a good bean to liquid ratio.
Just my opinion.
« Last post by Stwood on Yesterday at 03:37:38 PM »
I have consistently had good results in using beans that are well beyond the normal storage range... However, I always pressure can the beans in jars using Jackie Clay's method (dry beans, salt and boiling water in the jar... then pressure can). I've been using up beans that my parents had in their basement for well over 7 years (no long-term storage method -- just the original burlap bag) and they are fine as long as I pressure can them. Once that is done, I just pull jars of beans for the various recipes and have no issues. In fact, it is time to can more, I think. We are out of my canned black beans on the shelf.  :)

I have googled with no success of Jackie's method. I've found references, but not an actual *here's how I do it*.

Beans enlarge, so how much to put in a quart mason?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10