Author Topic: Amazon.com  (Read 41403 times)

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
Re: Amazon.com
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2017, 05:02:42 AM »
Yes. I usually only have 2-3 items on there. Only 2 now, as they can't seem to get the aspirin restocked

Yes, seems like some things are hit & miss on there. My wife wants Mrs Myers cleaning products but it's not always in stock for subscribe & save.
Black & Gold.
“Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.” - Thomas Paine

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2017, 06:28:32 AM »
I was just putting together my first pantry order yesterday.  In addition to the free 2 day shipping, if you instead pick the economy shipping (arrives in a week) you will get a $5 credit to pantry.  If I don't need it in 2 days, like gifts for my daughters bday next month, I'll take the $5 credit.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2017, 07:53:38 PM »
I've got a shipping credit, and need to use it before it evaporates.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2017, 10:48:41 PM »
I do not shop amazon often, as I just dont shop anywhere often. But, I have noticed this, don't know if this is happening to others; 3 times in the last 5 months I have ordered items from someone scamming. So, no item ever sent. The first time was the hardest as it was for a textbook and my daughter was counting on it for school, and by the time we realized it wasnt going to show, the other used ones were bought out. So, had to spend more money for a more expensive than average used text, and then priority shipping.

I do not have prime as I dont order enough.

All 3 times, Amazon did refund our money, but I wonder if this is getting worse as I had never had it happen at all until last August.

I also wonder if these scammers actually get money out of the deal, I had thought that Amazon didnt pay until order received, but maybe that is not so.
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2017, 09:41:26 AM »
First Ive heard of the scamming MM. I don't know.
Most of my orders are Amazon, or sometimes 2nd party sellers which Amazon handles.
I seldom ever buy from the third party sellers because of the shipping costs.

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »
First Ive heard of the scamming MM. I don't know.
Most of my orders are Amazon, or sometimes 2nd party sellers which Amazon handles.
I seldom ever buy from the third party sellers because of the shipping costs.

Maybe we were just unlucky. They did refund. I do get quite alot here fine, although I do not order as much as some here. Shipping costs are a big deal to us, so I either wait until I have the minimum amount to get free shipping, or the item is a good price with shipping, like the text books, they are never part of group shipping, but an Amazon owned new textbook is much more expensive, even with shipping on the others. I have also sold quite a few textbooks on Amazon.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
I have had problem with China sellers shipping on 5 occasions and Amazon A to Z Guarantee took care of the money refund without question.
May be a common problem with some countries or sellers.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Online chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2017, 11:42:49 AM »
I have had problem with China sellers shipping on 5 occasions and Amazon A to Z Guarantee took care of the money refund without question.
May be a common problem with some countries or sellers.

Me to, all China sellers. I try to find items "fulfilled be amazon"

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »
I've never had a problem with something not shipping, and I order a lot of stuff from them.

I've only once not gotten what I ordered, and in that case, they sent me the workbook instead of the book.  After double checking that it wasn't my fault, I went to process the return so I could get the one I really needed.  They gave me the packing slip to return it, then almost immediately sent me an email basically saying, "You know what?  We screwed up.  Just keep the workbook and we're overnighting the correct one."

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2017, 12:06:47 PM »
Yes they go overboard to take care of you. At least they have for me.
On those canning flats, I was on chat with them about 30 minutes getting it straightened out, and I was dealing with a foreigner I believe on the other end. Once I got him to understand what had happened, all things were taken care of almost immediately. 

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »
Anybody else noticed a change with Amazon's previously very generous return process in the last few weeks?  For the last couple years UPS would come by my house for pickup at no charge, now it looks like the buyer has to take the return to a UPS location, and in some circumstances actually pay for the shipping, or to an Amazon Locker. I maybe do three or four returns per year, so it's not really a game changer, plus from a business perspective it's totally understandable, but it's taken a bit of the shine off of the Amazon experience for me.
23:57:30

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
Anybody else noticed a change with Amazon's previously very generous return process in the last few weeks?  For the last couple years UPS would come by my house for pickup at no charge, now it looks like the buyer has to take the return to a UPS location, and in some circumstances actually pay for the shipping, or to an Amazon Locker. I maybe do three or four returns per year, so it's not really a game changer, plus from a business perspective it's totally understandable, but it's taken a bit of the shine off of the Amazon experience for me.

Last time I had a return (back around Christmas), then they paid for shipping and I had to return it to a UPS location or pay something to have it picked up (I think).  Since the UPS store is right next to the grocery store, it wasn't a huge deal to me.

They refunded the purchase price even before I dropped it off there, though they said it might take a few days after they received it.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »
I did one return eon's ago. Nothing lately

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2017, 05:12:08 AM »

I hope that's not true. I've only made one return about  8 months ago. It could not have been more easy. I left it on the porch and someone picked it up with no charge. The shine will fade if I need to jump hoops for a return.
Black & Gold.
“Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.” - Thomas Paine

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2017, 05:24:29 AM »
I have found it more depends on the reason for return:

I ordered the wrong thing...you pay
Wife did not like the color....you pay
Item not as advertised .......they pay

Though over the last few months ,most often ,items ordered and shipped from China simply don't arrive and I get immediate credit
though after the item does not arrive ,often 6 weeks of being separated from some of my cash has me somewhat disturbed.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

endurance

« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2017, 05:26:10 AM »
I guess I never noticed the return thing since I pick up all my mail at a ups store, so returns have always been as easy as picking up my mail. All this talk about people stealing Amazon items off of porches isn't a problem when it's behind the counter at the store. I started using a commercial PO box because I was never home for deliveries, but it's saved me from having to forward my mail with two separate moves and is in the same parking lot as the grocery store I hit on the way home anyway.

I continue to be impressed at the convenience of Amazon and the sheer number of products available at the best price. Prime is not only a money saver on shipping, it's where I watch some of my favorite movies and tv shows. I'm hooked.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
I guess I never noticed the return thing since I pick up all my mail at a ups store, so returns have always been as easy as picking up my mail. All this talk about people stealing Amazon items off of porches isn't a problem when it's behind the counter at the store. I started using a commercial PO box because I was never home for deliveries, but it's saved me from having to forward my mail with two separate moves and is in the same parking lot as the grocery store I hit on the way home anyway.

Now they have Amazon Locker, which is pretty cool.  There are at least a few on my way home from work.  I don't think it works for really large items, but they deliver it to a locker connected to something like a grocery store, then send you a code so you can open the locker.  The only drawbacks I can see are that it won't fit very large items (like the cargo cover Jay just ordered - about 8" x 8" x 6 feet) and if you don't pick it up within three days they send it back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201530900

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2017, 09:16:30 AM »
Now they have Amazon Locker, which is pretty cool.  There are at least a few on my way home from work.  I don't think it works for really large items, but they deliver it to a locker connected to something like a grocery store, then send you a code so you can open the locker.  The only drawbacks I can see are that it won't fit very large items (like the cargo cover Jay just ordered - about 8" x 8" x 6 feet) and if you don't pick it up within three days they send it back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201530900

As I live deep inside Amazon territory, I'm local to many of the lockers.  Though I have never used them, if I lived in a more dense residential area I might.

We also have the delivery drones in beta test nearby.  It's only a matter of time before Bubba figures out the ideal shotshell and choke combination for hunting drone.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »

We also have the delivery drones in beta test nearby.  It's only a matter of time before Bubba figures out the ideal shotshell and choke combination for hunting drone.

:spit:

Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2017, 09:28:08 AM »
As I live deep inside Amazon territory, I'm local to many of the lockers.  Though I have never used them, if I lived in a more dense residential area I might.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2017, 09:29:28 AM »
I have the US Postal Service delivering Amazon orders to me on Sunday all the time.
Same here.  Unfortunately 6 of the 8 times I've ordered and it was delivered on Sunday, it was not delivered to my house.  It was delivered to my neighbor's house instead.  We have a shared driveway and they don't use the regular drivers for Sunday delivery.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »

My next order contains toilet paper, Q-tips and zip-lock sandwhich bags.    LOL

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2017, 03:10:31 PM »
One of my few amazon orders, I had some amazon credit, so I ordered a refurbished ryobi multi-tool, so the ups driver went to hand me 2 of them, I told him I had only ordered one, so he might as well return the other. Then, I went into the house, and opened the one I kept, and it was missing 2 needed parts. I call and leave a message, and email a message to the distributer. No answer, all I realy want is the 2 parts, or an exchange. No contact from anyone, then next day, I get an email with a return shipping label to get a refund. I dont want a refund, I want the product ! SO, I write back. No response. I ordered a new one from Home Depot today, and am returning the other. Maybe my daughter will need a text book to use my credit. It is just realy hit or miss with them. I understand that I wont be out money, but I have work here that needs done that needs that tool ! Same with other things in the past that never made it at all, we order these things as we do need them !

This was my seventh order since and inclusive of March this year, as 3 of the orders were for others using my account. The books all came fine, the dried eggs/hashbrowns and easter bunnys came fine, bike lock was fine, kids' and pets' pet spray is always fine. This tool was not.

It is the complete lack of communication that bothers me. I HATE being treated like a commodity or none-entity, which is how this "return" is feeling like, like no-one read the email or listened to the phone message I left. SO, as bad as home depot can be, it is better than this when there is a problem !
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:16:35 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »
MM, was that fulfilled by Amazon?  Or strictly sold on Amazon and another company did everything else?  I've never had a problem with anything I bought that was either sold by Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon.  The only problems were with companies that sold through Amazon.
F_M

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »
MM, was that fulfilled by Amazon?  Or strictly sold on Amazon and another company did everything else?  I've never had a problem with anything I bought that was either sold by Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon.  The only problems were with companies that sold through Amazon.

these things are sold thru Amazon, most likely. But that is the thing to remember, it is just a clearing house, there can be alot of problems, unlike a regular store which is itself selling what it is selling. Now, we always did get our money back, it is just a big time suck for a certain portion of the purchases, and it did not used to be this way, quality of sellers has gone down. And, the other thing to be aware of is that the ratings are not always accurate, for various reasons, but one being that they are often allowed ot delete negative reviews, my negative review for the canning lid flats was deleted, for example. Right now, the seller of the multitool has a negative review by me still there, but let's see if it gets left up.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »
That's why I almost always prefer buying "prime" items.  Unless it's an exotic item not available or there's a big price increase (very rare).
I have bought a TV and returned it at no cost or questions.  My wife buys a few hundred dollars in school clothes this time of year and returns 2/3 that don't fit or my kids don't like.
Such as the same sweater in 4 colors and my daughter can keep 1.  Never a whimper or complaint from amazon. 

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2017, 05:29:10 PM »
I do the same thing, stick to Prime items.  But I also look for the fulfilled by Amazon line as well. 
F_M

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2017, 08:22:59 AM »
I stick to Prime also. Once in a while (seldom) I'll do a third party that offers free shipping.

If I have an order problem, like on the canning flats earlier this year, I'll get on chat and get it resolved. Doesn't take long (10-15 min) doing it that way.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »
  I mostly use PRYME or fulfilled by Amazon though I will take a bargain from China on occasion and as AMAZON operates with escrow from 'other' sellers I have had no problem with a credit refund from Amazon when I have shipping issues or defective items etc and rarely even have to return a product for such credit ...though I do order some 300 plus orders a year from Amazon...their policy of pleasing the customer is exceptional. 

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2017, 02:52:39 PM »
MM, I just read thru this whole thread and noticed you seem to have had the worst experience with Amazon out of all of us.  I'm wondering if it's because you're not a Prime member?  I bet the first thing on the customer service algorithm is.....Prime Member: Yes or No? 

All customers should be equal but some may be more equal than others.

I've recently gone further down the rabbit hole by signing up for the Amazon Store Credit Card (not the Visa one) so I could get the 5% statement credit on Amazon purchases.  I apparently buy a lot of stuff from them, because the extra discount is turning out to be even more than I initially expected. Another side benefit has been it's been much easier to itemize my purchases when I'm entering the information into Quicken.  It was always tricky before because large orders get split up and charged separately if they're shipped at different times or locations, which meant that a lot of stuff got entered as a Miscellaneous category when I reconciled my Visa statement. Now the Amazon statement lists each item, so I have no excuse for not accurately categorizing every single purchase, which isn't necessarily to my advantage when my wife looks at the Gun or Tool categories.
23:57:30