Author Topic: What device do you get podcasts on?  (Read 11881 times)

Offline Wrenny708

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: What device do you get podcasts on?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2016, 12:24:07 PM »
I use the cheapest smartphone I can find. The phone I have currently is a samsung  galaxy j1. Not the best but, it works.
I have a pay as you go plan because I got tired of weird fees showing up on my bill. I've since cut my cellphone/data plan expenses in half.

Offline edwinok

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2016, 07:19:36 PM »
I use my phone. Was an android using the app but it died and pulled out a Windows phone I had available. Now download on the Windows phone.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2016, 09:22:17 PM »
i got a new laptop that is a 2 in 1 so that the screen folds back and is like a tablet, it also has a touch screen of course. it makes it easier to use in bed and listen to podcasts or in other situation where siting in a chair and not at a desk. i feel irritated with itunes because it decided it won't sync my ipod anymore so i have to find time to get on the phone with apple. it doesnt even give an error message, thats pretty sneaky. luckily my audio books are on my old ipod. the solid state drive on the laptop means it boots faster. it was more expensive a laptop but i needed it for work as i have been doing a contract working from home
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:31:51 PM by surfivor »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »
I use the cheapest smartphone I can find. The phone I have currently is a samsung  galaxy j1. Not the best but, it works.
I have a pay as you go plan because I got tired of weird fees showing up on my bill. I've since cut my cellphone/data plan expenses in half.

The cheaper phones seem to not have much space on them ?

Offline CagedFeral

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2016, 01:45:59 AM »
I use my wife's old iphone (3or4?) like an ipad. I had to pay $3 for the icatcher app though. I let the app download at home on wifi and it holds 4GB. Plug into a radio with a 3.5mm and drive.

Before I used this old phone I had to download the mp3s with my pc to a usb thumb drive. I used one of those little FM radio transmitters.
This works fine but you are locked into getting on your pc to download them, then delete them.

I think an app on a smart phone is the easiest way. You just need wifi, enough storage space and a newer phone apparently. I had to buy the icatcher app because it's the only one I could find that works on old versions of iphone.

I can't use my regular android phone because it's only 2GB internal. I wish I could find an app that sends the downloads to the SD card.
Why put a 32GB sd card in an Android if can't be used by apps?
Black & Gold.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2016, 05:17:21 AM »

I can't use my regular android phone because it's only 2GB internal. I wish I could find an app that sends the downloads to the SD card.
Why put a 32GB sd card in an Android if can't be used by apps?

Use "Player FM" Android app.  It lets you download to SD card. Good podcast app.

Jerseyboy

Offline CagedFeral

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 03:36:35 AM »
Use "Player FM" Android app.  It lets you download to SD card. Good podcast app.

Jerseyboy

I like the app but I don't see how to download podcast to sd card. I can move them with the phone to sd card but can't see a way to auto send files to sd.
Black & Gold.

Offline SpareMag

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2016, 06:39:16 PM »
I use my old 4th gen iPod Touch...none of the buttons work anymore but I found workarounds in true survivalist adaptations...listen to near 7 hours of podcasts every night at work...along with TSP also ITRH, Beck, Shapiro, Nick Di Paolo, Sexton, The Orb, Lowder w/Crowder, Savage, yeah I have a lot of time to listen at work ;)
USMC vet ~ MSB Member ~ man of few words

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2016, 06:06:07 AM »
I like the app but I don't see how to download podcast to sd card. I can move them with the phone to sd card but can't see a way to auto send files to sd.

Sorry, just saw this.

Go to Settings (left menu icon then cog on bottom left)
Go to Downloads
Scroll to bottom and go to "store in SD Card or custom folder"
Select where you want to store them.

Jerseyboy

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 06:18:18 AM »

I have been using the same IPod 120G classic that I bought in 2009 until just recently. It had been working well all along until it started to have some syncing problems so I just bought a new IPod touch 128G. It costs alot of money and I hope it is as well made as the other IPod. It has a camera, web browser, built in recorder. It can download podcasts directly without having to sync and has all of my 143 audio books on it. I got a cool Bose bluetooth speaker to listen at home or in my car. My classic Ipod never had bluetooth. The IPod touch can also be listened to without headphones which is also great. There doesn't seem to be any way to make a podcast stop at the end of the podcast. It goes on to the next one automatically. That means if I fall asleep it just plays all night. That's one thing I don't like.

Offline Wild Colonial Boy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2016, 01:49:26 PM »
iPad Mini 2 for me.

Offline CagedFeral

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2016, 04:07:08 AM »
Anyone use the Amazon Fire? Starting at $49 it is tempting to try.
Black & Gold.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2016, 07:47:20 AM »

It's works ok. Sound is horrible but I have a Bluetooth speaker that makes it sound decent. Wish it used google play store instead of it's own app store. Kinda slow, but just listening to podcasts on it, it's just fine. I threw a 32gig card in it so I could keep all the old shows I listen to on the device.

Richard (richard)

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2016, 08:47:57 AM »
I don't use mine for podcasts anymore, but I do use it for audible books, with Knivo bluetooth headphones you can stop and start the device on the headphone, without which it is a chore to open the screen and try to get the pause or play icon to pick up a signal. If you have Fire TV you can transmit your videos and photos to your TV set. It take very good photos and videos and you can download off the internet also. The transfer of media to a computer is wireless through your Amazon drive account. But for a number of reasons I use an iPod nano with my bluetooth headphones for podcasts.

Offline Captain Obvious

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2016, 11:50:57 PM »
It's works ok. Sound is horrible but I have a Bluetooth speaker that makes it sound decent. Wish it used google play store instead of it's own app store. Kinda slow, but just listening to podcasts on it, it's just fine. I threw a 32gig card in it so I could keep all the old shows I listen to on the device.

Kindle Fire HD.  Podcast Addict is the app I use to download.  I plug it into my truck stereo to listen. 
“Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.”

Offline Captain Obvious

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2016, 08:37:29 AM »
Kindle Fire HD.

I use the Podcast Addict app.
“Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.”

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2016, 09:25:33 AM »
Kindle Fire HD.

I use the Podcast Addict app.

I just bought a kindle fire for $50, but I am just using it to read free pdf files that I download off the web. It has about 4 gig on it because the other 4 gig is used by the OS.
The battery life is less than 8 hours from what people say about it online.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2016, 10:27:01 AM »
The battery life is less than 8 hours from what people say about it online.

You can increase the battery life markedly by keeping it in airplane mode, and only taking it out when you're actually downloading stuff.

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2016, 07:07:51 PM »
Swift app on iPhone or iPad.  Swift lets me adjust the speed with enough granularity that I can listen at any speed from .25x to 3x.
The people who use the word "diversity" as a mantra want everyone to look different but think the same. - Rory Miller

Offline spud

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2016, 07:48:51 PM »
HTC one and download using goggleplay. Also download dangeroushistory too, another fav.

Offline geoffs755

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2016, 04:36:50 AM »
I download onto my min-PC, use VLC player to listen and upload onto my old MP3 player (an indestructible ZEN STONE). Thanks.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2016, 08:22:53 AM »
Google Pixel via DogCatcher app. I usually listen via Bluetooth on my car's radio on the way to and from work.
Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Offline DWESmith

• Prepper
  • GSD at my own pace.
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2016, 07:23:47 PM »
I use an iPhone 7 now. Usually use it on my 40 minute one way commute to work. I also listen in my work truck while going to schools from the shop (I'm a maintenance electrician for my local school district). Anahime Lake School is 3.5 hours away from the shop. So I generally listen to a few other podcasts during the day like Permaculture Voices, Free Talk Live, Home Grown Liberty, and many others. I like having a lot of storage since all I use is a smart phone for everything. Email, social media, photos and video, etc.
"Keep Calm and Fish On!"

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2016, 07:57:01 PM »
Found an old Microsoft Zune in the closet. Fun to try it out again.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:04:11 PM by ChrisFox »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2017, 09:17:17 PM »

I bought a new IPod touch this past summer because my older classic IPod was acting shaky and having a hard time syncing consistently. Since I have a ton of audio books, I need to stick with apple .. It's great that it can sync all by itself without needing a laptop .. however, a couple of podcasts like Gary Null will not download or are banned from the ITunes platform .. Therefore I just bough a sansa clip+ 8 GB which according to reviews was the best sansa clip and is expandable by using 16 GB cards ..

It seems very basic but I like having other options and the freedom to download whatever I want. I just got it in the mail today for around $80

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002MAPS6W

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »
For some time Ive been using a Samsung Tab3 tablet with Podcast Addict as the app. In the car I plug it into the radio's audio in jack, otherwise the built in speakers. Originally the tablet was to replace a Palm (remember those) but it also replaced my old Creative mp3 players.

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2017, 11:42:59 AM »
For some time Ive been using a Samsung Tab3 tablet with Podcast Addict as the app. In the car I plug it into the radio's audio in jack, otherwise the built in speakers. Originally the tablet was to replace a Palm (remember those) but it also replaced my old Creative mp3 players.

Offline King Hugh

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2017, 06:32:27 PM »
Samsung Galaxy Note 4  using Podbean app

Offline albaprep

• Prepper
  • Homesteading and being prepared
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2017, 02:20:47 AM »
I download them and use a USB stick on my car stereo. That way I can keep a few old episodes on there too for a longer than usual drive along with documents and other resources.