Author Topic: RV Full Time Living  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
RV Full Time Living
« on: August 09, 2016, 08:55:51 PM »
Well, we bought our RV.  Getting ready to move in full time.  Getting rid of excess and un-needed clutter. 

Bought it used and got a good deal.  Took it to a shop to get some maintenance done before we move in; adding LED perimeter scene lights, new 4 system camera, new batteries and tires.  Going to be an adjustment but looking forward to the move.  Will be much simpler and MUCH cheaper.

Listened to the "We're the Russos" podcast episode and that was very helpful.  Lots of good information on the web.  Nice to be able to learn from others before making the same mistakes.  Good time to be around.

Offline ericksonrs

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: RV Full Time Living
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 03:50:36 PM »
I've never done more than camp in ours...but I do like these guys...They've moved on to full time sailing but had a lot of enjoyable videos about full-time rv'ing.

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/

Offline ImNotGivngMyName2AMachine

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »
Don't forget http://www.technomadia.com/ - they've been full time RVers for ten years now, and have a lot of great info about keeping connected while on the road (they're both programmers I think)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »
Well, we bought our RV.  Getting ready to move in full time.

I'm so jealous!

That's actually my retirement dream.  Hoping to get Jay on board with it.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »
Yup, my retirement dream is to get an rv and spread my time between my kid's driveways and boondocking in forest land.

Offline JohnRyan

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
Any updates on how full timing is going?

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 12:25:55 PM »
Did it for several years. The drawbacks at the time were limited space and slow/no Internet as dial up was only available. Things have improved of course today, but the cost of living is higher as well.

Offline Sailor

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 02:27:50 AM »
I've never done more than camp in ours...but I do like these guys...They've moved on to full time sailing but had a lot of enjoyable videos about full-time rv'ing.

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/

They publish good content, and have good video/editing skills.  I can only take them in small doses though.  Hipster annoying.

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 07:10:52 PM »
The journey to becoming full-time RV nomads continues!  We took the MH immediately into the shop after we got it with a shopping list of maintenance, repairs, modifications etc which took a little longer than expected but still within a reasonable timeline considering what we asked to have done.  New tires were installed last weekend which was an adventure.  We determined, after ordering tires, that the tires ON the front were too large for the rims so that delayed the tires a week.  Still working on getting the house ready to sell.  Probably, realistically, we won't be able to move in full time for a couple months.  Amazing how much stuff I've accumulated that needs to be eliminated!!!

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 05:42:59 AM »
I have a 35J , 35 ft. long wide body Bounder Chevy Motorhome,  definitely Live able, but i'm single. everything but washer /dryer Never do that. mine has tons of space, now just sits in the driveway (tires) needed. almost 4 grand. I still campout in it sometimes .since it's 15 ft. away.& Plugged in.
have a great time.
keebler in S.Va.
single. m. Senior, prepper, solar, Vandweller, Camper, Boondocker. living in the woods of southern Va.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 07:58:47 AM »

I used to like to go winter surfing with my truck camper. It was very convenient to be able to hang out in the parking lot at the beach, change into and out of my wetsuit with the heater on, and cook lunch and take a nap right there .. Being stuck in a camper during bad weather is much preferable to a tent

Offline Muzzlehatch

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 10:17:59 PM »
I am wanting to build a suitable Caravan to do this.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 11:25:57 PM »
Full time RVing would definitely force one to simplify to the minimal needs.  My wife would never go for that, though.  Her quilting and my reloading hobbies would take up their own RV alone. Or, we would have to pare those WAY down to one small project at a time.

Are you keeping anything long term in a storage unit such as seasonal equipment and clothes, or occasional use items?  Or did you get rid of everything that does not fit in the RV?

Paying our $4,300 annual real estate tax while semi-retired is a much bigger chunk than when I was at the max of my corporate career.  You could buy a lot of RV maintenance for that much.

Are you planning to stay in free spaces/low-cost most of the time (friends/family, campground, Walmart!, etc) or will be in just a couple of locations paying for space?  Do you have a rough estimate of what your RV costs are relative to your house lifestyle cost were? 1/2? 1/3? 3/4? 1/4?

Please keep us updated.  This is a fascinating lifestyle you are embarking on and intriguing in its minimalist constraints.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »
While I have mentioned this on other threads, it should be said here too.

SO many people do this, that areas on the west coasts are having to take action against RV's where they can park and camp. So that an RV isnt allowed at all in certain parking lots at the actual beach/surfing zones, and no overnight parking posted on many, many roads. So, just be forwarned to expect to have to have a campground reservation in many areas, and may need to walk a couple blocks to the beach. Like many things, people who are rude, dump black water into residential streets gutters, etc.... have ruined it for the others.
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 08:13:52 AM »
Watch the humidity in them. .More than just your breath, cooking with propane, and heating with propane cause more moisture in the travel trailer. In humid Oregon, this translates to taking an inch of water out of the windows daily. I would highly recommend a dehumidifier if you can afford the power (electric vs battery vs generator vs solar), keeping to vents/doors/windows opened or cracked as much as possible. Keeping cupboards open as much as possible.

Watch anything which comes in contact with walls, such as your mattress at the top of the bed, pillows. They will pick up condensation and mildew. We now keep our clothes in duffle bags on the main floor, as we got fired of damp clothing all the time. We do not have a run down trailer either, I will post a pic when I can, but humidity is humidity. Something many people don't consider.

We cannot use a dehumidifier, due to power consumption (also check and see if your breaker box will support it), but we use alot of those dri-z-air tubs. And tend to dump them daily most days.

Showers I try to open vents and doors.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »
We still haven't gone completely full time yet.  Still doing stuff to the house to sell it and have been at a very sedate rate.  VERY close!  Also, decided to get married so that took precedence as well!  Not in a terrible hurry.  We'll be in before summer and it's a great time to sell.   

Our situation is that we're moving to a membership campground.  The sites have shore power, water, and sewer and we have a shore propane tank as well as our on board.  There are limitations on how many days you can be in residence but we'll just take some trips to meet that restriction; that'll be the easy part.  Our costs are going to go down dramatically (taxes, electric, mortgage etc) except we'll be consuming more fuel to get to work and maybe heating (but the space is SOOOO much smaller that may be a wash).  We don't have an equation yet.  One sticky wicket is the lack of washer dryer.  My sweet wife said she'll manage all the clothes on her days off but I imagine I'll chip in periodically as well.

We do have a storage shed at our campsite for extra stuff that won't fit into the motor home and I've gotten a storage unit in a commercial place to help with the transition.  Needed the garage to work out of but didn't have a place to put stuff like my motorcycles and kayaks.  Once we're in the campsite full time then I'll build another shed and move that stuff out there and out of the rental storage.  We're planning on being able to switch out seasonal clothing and gear between the shed and the MH. 

Regarding humidity, we've purchased two small dehumidifiers to help with that. Cedar's right, it really doesn't take much to drive up the humidity and get condensation!  Hopefully the two small units will be enough, if not I'll get a larger unit for when we're stationary and use the little ones when we're traveling.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
can you post any information on the campground membership ? Is this just the one location, or is this a chain of them you can utilize ? What are the living there full time limitations ? IE., how often do you have to leave and for how long ? What does it cost, and are utilities extra ?
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 02:05:12 AM »
You sound as though you have thought through a lot of issues and have a practical approach.  Looking forward to more updates!
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 07:16:58 PM »
There are a variety of membership campgrounds in Washington.  I don't think any are part of a chain.  Each campground has it's own rules for time allotted inside.  Look up private camping clubs in your area to see what's available. 

Here's an example that's north of Seattle:  https://portsusancamping.org/

We're looking at another site in Eastern Washington that is a bit more permanent.  You own your lot and can build essentially anything that meets building code but can't just drop a shipping container.  We're considering a steel barn/garage to park inside of with a small lean to with an "apartment."  It'd be more for storage and parking inside of when it's colder but we'd still live in the MH.  The lean to would have a bath and laundry but not much else.  Greater expenses there as there would still be property taxes.  There are still communal facilities like a pool and rec hall. 

Offline screwby

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »
I'll have to keep an eye on this thread as we are on the verge of the same adventure.  It's been a real lesson in minimalism for sure.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 04:52:20 PM »
There are a variety of membership campgrounds in Washington.  I don't think any are part of a chain.  Each campground has it's own rules for time allotted inside.  Look up private camping clubs in your area to see what's available. 

Here's an example that's north of Seattle:  https://portsusancamping.org/

We're looking at another site in Eastern Washington that is a bit more permanent.  You own your lot and can build essentially anything that meets building code but can't just drop a shipping container.  We're considering a steel barn/garage to park inside of with a small lean to with an "apartment."  It'd be more for storage and parking inside of when it's colder but we'd still live in the MH.  The lean to would have a bath and laundry but not much else.  Greater expenses there as there would still be property taxes.  There are still communal facilities like a pool and rec hall. 

check out: https://www.versatube.com/ - design your own steel shed and you can add doors/windows/etc.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/