Author Topic: Ametek 99 wind turbine  (Read 4919 times)

Offline njoelhickson

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Ametek 99 wind turbine
« on: October 05, 2016, 08:41:48 AM »
This motor is touted as "the boss" when it comes to homemade wind turbines. However, there really is not much information out there about actually using one to BUILD a wind turbine.

I have a question regarding what charge controller would be appropriate to use with it. Am I correct in my belief that I would need to use an MPPT controller rated for AT LEAST 100 volts (preferably more to leave a margin of error)?

I am also trying to resource ideas about where and how to mount it. I have an old aerial television antenna (lattice type) that is mounted to the side of my house. I do not think that would be a good option for many reasons. First, not sure if the tower could withstand the force moving against the turbine. Second...I think that the forces acting upon it would eventually cause it to pull away from the house (perhaps damaging the house in the process). Does this sound about right? I have another option, I could mount it to the top of a telephone pole that has been erected right beside my garage. Pros and cons to that idea?

Thank you for your input.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Ametek 99 wind turbine
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:17:15 AM »
the ametek is a DC MOTOR that ,when spun at
1000 RPM produces about 38 volts at no load , and about 31 Amps at max load
750 RPM produces about 28.4 volts at no load ,and about 26 Amps at max load
500 RPM produces about 21 volts at no load ,and about 25 Amps at max load

Much like solar panel ratings you will not see NO LOAD voltages when charging batteries etc and AMPERAGE is measured with maximum loading,
The two readings do not occur at the same time but are necessary to plan regulation parameters but figure 60 to 75 % voltage and current when in use.(GUESS)

It should take a large blade to turn through gears or pulleys to get that kind of RPM while charging a battery bank..I don't do much with wind,except break it.
I would build a water wheel ,like an old fashioned mill,to develop the power to spin such a motor/generator at consistent speed.

It is a good find but parts to maintain the AMETEC are somewhat hard to find.

Data and opinion on this is based on internet research,not actual hands-on work with this motor.
I use Delco alternators or DC motors from water well pumps.Without guy wires and blade clearence height above your building ,the tower will not take the stress
and you would not like the noise factor of the blades will be quite noisy in use. A water wheel with split 55 gallon drums and good water flow might prove quieter and effective.

Good luck with the project.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:28:27 AM by Carl »
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline njoelhickson

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:25:50 AM »
Thanks Carl. I have the motor already as well as a hub and blades. You don't think that this will be enough? Further data: I live in Dodge City, Kansas. The average wind speed in Dodge City is 13.9 mph. It is the windiest city in the nation.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:29:47 AM »
Thanks Carl. I have the motor already as well as a hub and blades. You don't think that this will be enough? Further data: I live in Dodge City, Kansas. The average wind speed in Dodge City is 13.9 mph. It is the windiest city in the nation.

I can only guess with this motor...what is blade count and tip to hub length?
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?