Author Topic: Food Storage Feast - updates and status blog  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Noah Darco

• Prepper
  • Stay-at-Homestead Dad
    • Food Storage Feast
Food Storage Feast - updates and status blog
« on: January 15, 2017, 09:20:14 AM »
We've added a page at the beginning of Food Storage Feast course to alert students to updates and additions to the course, since we are adding new stuff all the time.

Those updates will be mirrored in this thread.

MTA: Fixed link above.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 10:30:26 AM by Noah Darco »
"So here is us, on the raggedy edge."

Co-author of Food Storage Feast with Chef Keith Snow.
Live the gourmet life... before AND after the Apocalypse.

Offline Noah Darco

• Prepper
  • Stay-at-Homestead Dad
    • Food Storage Feast
Re: Food Storage Feast - updates and status blog
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »
15 January, 2017

Since launching the course, we have added these new recipe videos:

Lentil & Vegetable Soup
Pasta with Bacon, Radicchio, & Green Onion
Thai Tom Yum Soup with Salt Cod

…and locked in written recipes for these, among others:

Oat Scones w/ Maple Glaze (This one’s for you, Denny!)
White Bean Soup w/ Spinach
Split Pea Soup w/ Ham
Refried Pinto Beans

Chef Keith has been under the weather with a bad cold and cough. He’s got several more recipe videos nearly done, just waiting for his voice to improve enough to record the voice over that explains each step, including these (some names are provisional and may change before we’re done):

Kettle Corn Pancakes
Simple Noodle Soup
Rustic French Toast
Porcini Mushroom Risotto
Paleo Mushroom-Kale Muffins
Quinoa- & Sausage- Stuffed Peppers
Spaghetti Carbonara w/ Yoders Bacon

My daughter and I are working to complete the written recipes to accompany each video that’s already posted. Every written recipe gets checked and re-checked for accuracy and for consistency with the video by at least three people before it goes up.

Also coming ASAP are:

Equipment and pantry lists, including Thai sauces

and

A course module on developing cooking as a life skill, with discussion of substitutions & flexibility.
Wheat is a complex and challenging subject, and will result in a lot of interesting and useful material before we’re done.

We’re also working to develop more core recipes and food storage guidelines that will work for specific diets, like Primal/Paleo, low/slow-carb, gluten-free, etc. Some diets are more challenging than others, due to the fact that dried, carb-heavy foods store longer and more easily than high-protein foods like meat, but we are highly sympathetic to these eating philosophies.

We’d like to say thanks to everyone who has purchased the course already. Building it has been a full time job for the two of us for several months now, and we’re grateful for your support as we keep working to build you the ultimate online course in preparedness cooking.

— Noah Darco

Offline Noah Darco

• Prepper
  • Stay-at-Homestead Dad
    • Food Storage Feast
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 07:48:35 PM »
Added many more printable, written recipes to existing videos, as well as two new videos (with written recipes):

Kettle Corn Pancakes
Porcini Mushroom Risotto

Chef Keith is slowly getting his voice back, and has lots more videos in the queue.

Offline chefkeithsnow

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Food Storage Feast
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 11:40:22 AM »
Just finished shooting a rustic French Toast, with New Zealand canned butter and US maple syrup. The bread is my pullman loaf, thick cut, awesome texture. I used egg crystals and evaporated milk...plus a few shelf stable pantry items to make a restaurant quality...actually better.....breakfast dish...that me and my daughter just ate for lunch...BOY am I full...

So, later I work on an amazing beef Stroganoff dish using Freeze Dried roast beef, just wait until you try that.....

back to work...

Keith
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:36:30 PM by chefkeithsnow »
Add a chef's hat to your preps with my online course, Food Storage Feast.

Storing food is only half of food security. The other half is knowing what to do with it.

Offline chefkeithsnow

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Food Storage Feast
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 02:51:43 PM »
Update to my update:

Beef Stroganoff

My daughter has always loved this dish....but of course this time I used freeze dried beef....if I can borrow some vernacular from the millenial generation to help describe the flavor....."It was dope"  "It was legit" " The Bomb"  "straight cash"

Only fresh item was 1 cup of onion, which can easily have been freeze dried too....tender beefy tasting beef cubes, luscious sauteed mushrooms, a sauce comprised of freeze dried sour cream, beef broth, wooster sauce and a barely noticable scant pinch of pie spice and of course 2 tbs of sherry wine.....ladeled over al dente egg noodles. Olivia was like a rabid animal eating the bowl that was used for filming....

Seriously....this is a dish that is totally comforting, super tasty and very food storage friendly...a home run IMO  :D

Keith

Storing food is only half of food security. The other half is knowing what to do with it.

Offline Noah Darco

• Prepper
  • Stay-at-Homestead Dad
    • Food Storage Feast
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 09:05:23 AM »
Rustic French Toast video & recipe are live.

Written recipes backfilled for:

-Pumpkin Walnut Loaf w/ Maple Glaze
-Montana Elk, Bangkok Style
-Elk Bolognese w/ Buttered Radditore

Offline jchiar

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 09:55:12 AM »
IS this in the course?

Update to my update:

Beef Stroganoff

My daughter has always loved this dish....but of course this time I used freeze dried beef....if I can borrow some vernacular from the millenial generation to help describe the flavor....."It was dope"  "It was legit" " The Bomb"  "straight cash"

Only fresh item was 1 cup of onion, which can easily have been freeze dried too....tender beefy tasting beef cubes, luscious sauteed mushrooms, a sauce comprised of freeze dried sour cream, beef broth, wooster sauce and a barely noticable scant pinch of pie spice and of course 2 tbs of sherry wine.....ladeled over al dente egg noodles. Olivia was like a rabid animal eating the bowl that was used for filming....

Seriously....this is a dish that is totally comforting, super tasty and very food storage friendly...a home run IMO  :D

Keith

Offline Noah Darco

• Prepper
  • Stay-at-Homestead Dad
    • Food Storage Feast
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
IS this in the course?

Chef Keith is putting the finishing touches on the video as we speak. It'll be up later today.

MTA: Beef Stroganoff video and recipe are now in the course.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:38:53 PM by Noah Darco »

Offline rmoeggy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Learning Self Reliance
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 04:43:40 PM »
Ryan in Central Oregon here. I posted on your FB page a few times when you were still in Idaho. I posted a picture of my resident elk herd when you saw yours. Now I've got a freezer full of elk and I purchase a whole hog every year. I just joined the course and I'm looking forward to cooking your recipes. Im hoping you have any suggestions for lactose free recipes for my little girl. Speaking of lactose, what the heck is dried milk good for? Thanks Keith!
Like hearing from people in central Oregon.

Offline chefkeithsnow

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Food Storage Feast
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 06:31:46 PM »
Hey Ryan,

I wish I had a freezer full of Elk!   So much that can be done with that...Dried milk can be used in many ways...making yogurt, and of course fluid milk....it's not that enjoyable to drink..unless...you add about 1 cup evap milk per quart of of milk powder...just take the liquid volume...use 1 cup evap milk, then the rest water....helps make it much more tasty..I've used it in cereal etc... not too bad...

Keith

Offline 4Gators

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 05:48:10 PM »

...Dried milk can be used in many ways...making yogurt,

Keith

I hope this shows up in the course!  I would love to know how to make yogurt out of dry milk!

Offline Carlyle

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 06:48:18 PM »
Just trying the Mexican Rice!  Great so far, spice pack didn't have the chicken seasoning, but looks easy enough to substitute. 

Offline Carlyle

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline Carlyle

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 04:59:58 PM »
Update to my update:

Beef Stroganoff

Keith

Just made the Beef Stroganoff recipe in a similar fashion, but used a frozen bottom round that needed to be used up.  The simmering was extended by about an hour, as my cast iron fits very tightly and evaporation was minimal.  In the end I did not need to add corn starch as a thickener and the beef literally fell apart on the fork.

Kudos for this recipe Keith!

Offline cathy112

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
what happened to food storage feast ?  I can't find it anymore, can't find where to log into the course anymore ?  where is the link ?