Author Topic: Backwoods Home Magazine ceasing publication  (Read 1831 times)

Offline A Pawn

• Senior Survivalist
Backwoods Home Magazine ceasing publication
« on: February 13, 2017, 07:31:58 PM »
I received a sad email today from Backwoods Home Magazine. After  28 years of publication, they will cease the printed version of their magazine with the November/December 2017 Issue. Mr. Dave Duffy says age is one the  factors and that much of the same information he presents every other month is now available free on the internet. There will still be a version available in the Kindle format. He says that the sister magazine Self Reliance will continue to publish quarterly with the younger staff headed by his daughter who cut her teeth with BHM. Many of the same writers for BHM will be found on the pages of SR.

It is a sad day for me. It wasn't until the American Survival Guide magazine stop publishing many years ago that I discovered BHM. They took up my remaining issues and I have been a subscriber ever since.

If subscribers have any remaining issues after the Nov/Dec 17issue, they will be filled by the Self Reliance Magazine.

Sad Day... I have taken great joy over the years reading my new issues. Some how a little is lost, but their time has come. They were one of the Sparks of the Prepper movement...even before there was such a word as "Prepper".

I hope for the best for Dave and the folks at Backwoods Home Magazine. Their lessons and stories will not be forgotten.

Ben...aka APawn...    :( 

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Backwoods Home Magazine ceasing publication
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 07:37:37 PM »
That's sad I liked it also.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 07:55:55 PM »
Wow, that is some sad news.  Been subscribing for like 15 years, got a lot of good stuff from Jeff Yago and Mas Ayoub, and always enjoyed the political end of things, especially Claire Wolfe's writings.

Mr. Dave Duffy says age is one the  factors and that much of the same information he presents every other month is now available free on the internet.
Same thing that brought down Loompanics a decade ago.  Still... I can't somehow see a Jackie Clay youtube channel ever replacing her articles and advice.  The time they are a-changin'.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
 :'(

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 09:17:19 PM »
I've been a subscriber for many years and will miss the paper copy.  I tried the kindle version but it just isn't the same as browsing through the paper one.  I like the articles on following along with someone building something: cabin, house, coop, fences, etc.  Also enjoy John Silveria's articles and the fiction book series he started (seemed to die off after the first one though). I think Mas' articles in BWH were some of his most personable and best on firearms.

Very quality magazine and inspiration to expert and regular Joe articles side by side.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:10:05 AM »
The family cookbook is full of Xeroxed copies of Backwoods Home recipes.

As others have said, it struck a great balance between many ideas.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 06:08:29 AM »
The family cookbook is full of Xeroxed copies of Backwoods Home recipes.
Similarly, I've often referred to a small stack of back issues.  May have to pop for one of their "whole shebang" CD sets, just to have the entire archive.

ps: in case you haven't seen The Letter, here's the link:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/saying-goodbye-to-backwoods-home/

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »
 :'(

It is one of three magazines I read and the only one cover to cover then pass on to others.  Good luck to all the great content producers in their other ventures.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 10:09:03 AM »
Just saw the email today.

I'm so torn about the shift to digital. Digital is nice for saving physical space and longevity, and you can search through large volumes of data easier using keywords and metadata (though that usually requires a setup of some kind). However, nothing can beat the tactile sense of browsing through physical media.

It's almost like my brain processes the two differently. I'm supposed to be one of the "growing up digital" generation, but I find myself equally drawn to physical media, sometimes moreso than digital depending on what it is.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »
I was very sad to see this email in my inbox this morning. The print edition was handy for taking on trips/camping and I had amassed a nice little collection of old issues over the last few years.

The bright side is that this change will push me to finally switch to a digital BHM archive  (collecting each physical issue was an unsustainable proposition for me).

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »
Just got the May/June #165 issue in the mail.  Big banner across the top: This is the Last Newsstand Issue.  Three more print issues after this one are in the pipeline for subscribers.  And it's still not too late to subscribe!  There's an order form in the very back.

Pretty good issue too: homestead economics, home-grown eggs, digging a shallow well, buying land for cheap, off-grid comms, op-ed piece on fake news, and a publisher's note about future plans and why they're shutting down the print version.  Bottom line on the future plans is to continue as a kindle-only format (eliminates the printing & mailing costs), and to continue selling books and disks. 

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 05:45:03 PM »
My subscription ran out at they end of the year. Then they announced they would be ceasing the mag production. :'(
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline DDJ

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 11:10:11 AM »
My wife just saw that they will offer at the end of every year a text version of the Kindle version.   So they are going to try to keep fighting.

Good luck to them and I am sure I am buying at least one paper version when offered.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 08:58:55 AM »
I saw that last night on my magazine.. Really sad...

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »
I really like the paper version, there's a permanence to it. So I'm going to buy the Anthology every year instead of going for an e-subscription. Really glad they're not stopping the magazine completely.
Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill