Author Topic: Fritz's bees  (Read 732 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Fritz's bees
« on: April 08, 2017, 08:44:52 PM »
About 5 years ago, I started keeping bees.  I was able to keep them for a couple of years, but lost the last hive 2 years ago.  Last year I went without them.  But I got 2 packages this year and am hoping to successfully keep them and grow my apiary. 

I do not plan on going into business with them.  I hope to get some honey out of it, but my main interest is to just keep them.

I use all medium boxes with plastic frames.  The boxes they are in right now are the standard white.  But I was trying to get my daughter interested in the bees, so went with a bunch of different color.  That experiment was not a success, she wants nothing to do with them.  But it makes my apiary nice and colorful.

Here's a couple of pics for those that are interested.  I couldn't get my wife to come down for action pics.

These are both supposed to be 3 pound packages of bees.  Obviously there are many more bees in the one on the right.  Maybe they gave me a 4 pound package.

Here's a shot of the new set up.  I did learn from my previous hives.  I put the earlier ones too close to the fence.  Every time I mowed, it pissed off the bees.  I also had them a little too close together.  This time I have room for 4 hives and they will be about 6 feet apart.  If I get bigger than 4 hives, I'll create a new area like this.

This is just showing that they eventually settled down.  This hive had the smaller number of bees.  The other hive that had the bigger package also seemed much more pissed off than this hive.  I got stung on the hand when installing the bigger package, this is my 5th or 6th package install and I've never been stung doing this.  Usually they are fairly docile, but they were up in my face the whole time.  Both packages came from the same supplier in Georgia, so I'm not really sure why they were so much more aggressive.

I'll post again once I pull out the queen cage and get another box onto the hives.  Should be next weekend when I do that.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:28:19 PM by fritz_monroe »
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Re: Fritz's bees
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:15:57 PM »
Good luck with the bees!

(Your images don't work -- I think they're visible to you alone, when you're logged into your Google account.)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 11:22:46 PM »
 :'( I wanna see your pics!! I am happy you are raising bees again though.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 08:24:33 PM »
I was wondering if the pics would work.  I'll try to get them going.  Since Google got rid of picassa web it doesn't work the same.

I'm going to give it a shot with photo bucket.  Check the original post.
F_M

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 08:33:50 PM »
Thank you for the pics. Maybe the latter package had fatter bees? Keep us posted. Iike seeing other people's apiaries.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 02:01:56 PM »
I pulled the queen cage out of the hives today.  As much as I hate to pull out this new pretty comb, it's in the way so had to go.

In the past, I was able to go down to the hives and pull the queen cage out without any issues.  But that one hive is still pretty aggressive.  So I put my jacket and hood on and gave it a shot.  There were too many aggressive bees coming at me.  So I closed up the hive and went after my smoker.  I'll be glad when that hive calms down.

F_M

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 03:42:32 PM »
Nice work... keep us posted on the progress.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 04:37:44 PM »
I forgot to mention that after taking out the queen cage, I put another medium on each hive.  The first of the colorful boxes are in my apiary.  I've always used different colored bottom boards, it's easier to keep track of what I do with each hive.

F_M

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 07:00:25 AM »
looks nice! great spring colors.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator