Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1192176 times)

Offline albaprep

• Prepper
  • Homesteading and being prepared
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #7830 on: April 10, 2017, 09:41:11 AM »
Hi, just introducing myself. I'm a listener from the UK and thought I'd join in the forum now. I find TSP has lots of great information that is more globally relevant than a lot of resources out there.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #7831 on: April 10, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »
Glad you found us, albaprep.  Welcome aboard.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline JimNKC

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7832 on: April 10, 2017, 10:58:20 PM »
Hello, new here to the Podcast, just found it a week ago and got hooked,  My name is Leif, married with 4 year old twins at home and an 18 yr old in college. Kansas City area, thinking about moving in a year or two further South. Northern TX or NE New Mexico is where I'm thinking right now... somewhere warmer than where we are, but not TOO close to the border!

Rather new to prepping in many senses, not as much in others coming from a military background (go Navy!) Looking to get back into shooting more (CMP as well as teaching my kids), becoming more self-reliant and learning new skills, and passing them on.

Offline Muzzlehatch

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7833 on: April 12, 2017, 03:04:59 AM »
Researching affordable 12 volt off grid residence. Not interested in sustainabilty virtue signaling. Any technology that works and is cost effective gets the gig.

Looking at building a Tiny Home style of dwelling only using proper modern materials. https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Vg4qK5zDjKM/WO3nzYNk8xI/AAAAAAAAFF4/tSrYbM26Hr0oCBJGcvxTQGY06NOcUwgKwCLcB/s320/Mystery%2BPlane%2Bmessy.jpg

I am new here. You dont seriously expect folks to use this lame captcha for every post ?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #7834 on: April 12, 2017, 04:17:39 AM »
Researching affordable 12 volt off grid residence. Not interested in sustainabilty virtue signaling. Any technology that works and is cost effective gets the gig.

Looking at building a Tiny Home style of dwelling only using proper modern materials. https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Vg4qK5zDjKM/WO3nzYNk8xI/AAAAAAAAFF4/tSrYbM26Hr0oCBJGcvxTQGY06NOcUwgKwCLcB/s320/Mystery%2BPlane%2Bmessy.jpg

I am new here. You dont seriously expect folks to use this lame captcha for every post ?

No,the captcha will be gone soon...It has been a long time since my first post but once you sign in ,as I remember,the posting is easy.
You will find much good solar infor on the forum,the search bar,top right,will help. Steve Harris at   http://www.solar1234.com/  may be of interest.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #7835 on: April 12, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »

Yeah, sorry about that.  It's only for your first post.  We turned that on a while back when we were getting hit extremely hard by Russian and Ukrainian spammers.  Hard to tell whether it has helped, but we do find a lot of new accounts which are obviously spammers but never make one post.

Offline gpewett

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7836 on: April 15, 2017, 10:58:46 AM »
Hey everyone my name is Gage. I live in East TN, recently got out of the Marine Corps and now am a very new welder/blacksmith. I am currently finishing a degree in Organic Horticulture and my wife and are looking to buy our first plot of land and house this summer. I am extremely excited to be part of this community and start slowly developing a homestead.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7837 on: April 15, 2017, 11:50:17 AM »
Hey everyone my name is Gage. I live in East TN, recently got out of the Marine Corps and now am a very new welder/blacksmith. I am currently finishing a degree in Organic Horticulture and my wife and are looking to buy our first plot of land and house this summer. I am extremely excited to be part of this community and start slowly developing a homestead.

Welcome , a user here named KNECHT is a CZECH blacksmith and does exceptional work. look him up in the members index ,there are others ...make yourself at home.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #7838 on: April 15, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »
Hey everyone my name is Gage. I live in East TN, recently got out of the Marine Corps and now am a very new welder/blacksmith.

I'm still bummed that I lost my welder in the divorce ten years ago.  Welcome!

Offline Cptcaveman

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7839 on: April 16, 2017, 08:35:06 AM »
Hi everyone.  My name is Mike.  Live west of Fort Worth, Texas.  I am retired Army and fly for an airline.  I am just getting settled in new place and am ready to start with very small steps.  Compost pile and a raised bed garden is the kickoff for me.  Been listening to Jack for about two years and am excited about finally getting started, but keeping in mind it has to be small steps first.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7840 on: April 16, 2017, 08:44:19 AM »
Hi everyone.  My name is Mike.  Live west of Fort Worth, Texas.  I am retired Army and fly for an airline.  I am just getting settled in new place and am ready to start with very small steps.  Compost pile and a raised bed garden is the kickoff for me.  Been listening to Jack for about two years and am excited about finally getting started, but keeping in mind it has to be small steps first.

Welcome!  You'll find a lot of knowledge and friendship here.

Offline Forested

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7841 on: April 17, 2017, 03:38:05 AM »
Hello, My name is Jeff. I live in Southern Oh and have been working on building a food forest for a few years now. Looking forward to checking out the forums and talking with like minded people.

Offline Flexxxca

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7842 on: April 18, 2017, 02:25:30 PM »
Group,

I wanted to post a hello as a new member to the forum. It is Kevin from Canada - Flexxca is my name on here. Flex - because a big strong guy xxx because and the ca is for Canada.
Yup another Canuk. Living our crazy lives up here - the wonderful north with ridiculous rules. Perhaps that is for a future rant...
I work in oil and gas safety and environmental engineering - run my own business and get around with it. Also I am in search and rescue - which is run similar to volunteer fire departments up here except no pay.
I have been doing the search and rescue thing for 15+ years. I am a pretty radically outdoorsy guy, survival guy, mead guy, gun guy, etc. Similar to lots of you.
I live in Cochrane Alberta - outside of Calgary working slowly to get further and further from the cities.
I have been a listener to the podcast since the 1600's and listen whenever I am driving or training.
Loving the podcast, the group, the lessons the feedback. Thank you Jack!
Cheers all,
Kevin

Offline Muzzlehatch

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7843 on: April 19, 2017, 10:02:19 PM »
My second post here. Prepping certainly isn't just about Red Dawn. In my instance I got burned out in a wildfire. I lost all my prepping stuff but my buddies didn't. They lent me theirs.

Oh Great the  CAPTCHA is gone. That was weird.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7844 on: April 20, 2017, 05:18:14 AM »
My second post here. Prepping certainly isn't just about Red Dawn. In my instance I got burned out in a wildfire. I lost all my prepping stuff but my buddies didn't. They lent me theirs.

Oh Great the  CAPTCHA is gone. That was weird.
It may benefit others to recount your story as ,with prepping, even failure can be a learning and teaching event. And weather is more realistic than zombies...yet preparation for either has all of the components to provide for you and family to live without outside support and so whatever reason you imagine is OK...until you buy a wood chipper for zombie disposal.... :zombie:

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7845 on: April 20, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »

And that's generally what it is.  For me, it was being laid off and not being able to find work for seven months.  When I was in California, it was earthquakes (I was there for Northridge).  It can also be illness or relationships dissolving or anything else that shuts down your usual resources.  But it's rarely the dramatic, exciting stuff.

Offline Bags30

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7846 on: April 23, 2017, 09:31:04 PM »
Hey Y'all,
Bags here. Prepper level = Novice.
Been a gun nut for years and thought having a lot of ammo meant prepped but listening to Jack for the past two or three years has taught me a lot about what real preparedness means. Some important lessons, unglue myself from network "news" and enjoy being prepared in good times and bad.
I actually started to show interest in gardening and preserving. Been raising poultry for a couple years and hatched a nice flock of quail in the past few months.
Currently in Virginia but moving to Boise in June. My wife and I hope to get a couple acres on the urban-rural fringe to restart our little homestead.

Cheers

Offline grandmalela

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7847 on: April 26, 2017, 04:46:02 PM »
Hello!
My name is Teresa, I am a 52 year old homesteader living in Washington state. I have a life time of gardening, canning, foraging and many old living skills taught to me by my late Grandma Lela, hence my online name.
I hope to share my skills and learn new ones, together with your group.
Thank you for allowing me to part of the community.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7848 on: April 26, 2017, 05:23:54 PM »
Hello!
My name is Teresa, I am a 52 year old homesteader living in Washington state. I have a life time of gardening, canning, foraging and many old living skills taught to me by my late Grandma Lela, hence my online name.
I hope to share my skills and learn new ones, together with your group.
Thank you for allowing me to part of the community.

Welcome, this forum exists by member participation,so post you successes and failures as BOTH help educate others..