Author Topic: Can Diatomatious Earth be used in edible grain storage?  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Fat_Man

• Prepper
  • Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
Can Diatomatious Earth be used in edible grain storage?
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »
I am just getting ready to store  lot of rice, beans and hard red and white wheat. I will be putting them in a Mylar bag in 5 gallon buckets with Oxygen Absorbers. I don't think that the oxygen absorbers are powerful enough to suffocate weevils. I have used diatomatious earth around the yard. It is great at killing June bugs, ants, and roaches. They just all of a sudden disappear. It is nontoxic. It looks like a very fine white dust, even finer than talcum powder. It is easy to apply, I just throw it up in the air and let it settle down on the ground, kinda like casting wheat seed. It is cheap as well. Just make sure you use food grade for use with food.

I have heard that it can be mixed with grains and beans to kill the critters that eat and ruin your food.
Does anyone have any experience with putting diatomatious earth in with Hard Red Wheat? How would you separate it out? I don't think there would be any trouble separating it from the beans and rice when it comes time to use them, just wash them off before use. Which we do normally, but I don't have ANY experience with wheat berries. Can you wash them? Will that ruin them for making flour?

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Re: Can Diatomatious Earth be used in edible grain storage?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 01:10:54 PM »
http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/product/diatomaceous-earth-food-grade

Be sure you have food grade DE, not garden variety stuff.

The article says it is ok to ingest but not to breath in large quantities of the dust.  That was my understanding as well but people like to see sources so there it is.  

Edit:  Further research says that it actually adds 14 trace minerals that are good for you and no effect to taste!

J
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:14:30 PM by KYdoomer »

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 03:05:16 PM »
If you are sealing in mylar with O2 absorbers, I wouldn't bother with DE. Besides the problem with breathing the stuff, it is hard on the teeth if ground up in your wheat. There are easier ways of getting your minerals. You can probably minimize eating the stuff if you rinse off your stored wheat before you use it but too much trouble. I have stored thousands of pounds of grains in plastic buckets with no mylar bags and only using dry ice and I have never had a bug problem. If you are overly worried about bugs, freeze the grain beforehand. Just my opinion based on my experience, good luck.

Offline simpleguy

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 04:04:17 PM »
If you are sealing in mylar with O2 absorbers, I wouldn't bother with DE. Besides the problem with breathing the stuff, it is hard on the teeth if ground up in your wheat. There are easier ways of getting your minerals. You can probably minimize eating the stuff if you rinse off your stored wheat before you use it but too much trouble. I have stored thousands of pounds of grains in plastic buckets with no mylar bags and only using dry ice and I have never had a bug problem. If you are overly worried about bugs, freeze the grain beforehand. Just my opinion based on my experience, good luck.

Talk to me........dry ice?  How does this method work?

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 10:27:26 PM »
Talk to me........dry ice?  How does this method work?

C02 (dry ice) kills bugs. Pretty simple. Put a few inches of grain in a bucket, drop a small piece of dry ice on it (about the size of a golfball) fill the bucket up and SET the lid on the bucket. After an hour or so, seal the bucket fairly well but keep an eye on it. If the lid starts to bulge, burp it. Takes a couple of hours of babysitting but after a while you can seal the bucket. Probably more detailed instructions online if ya need it, but it is easy to do.

Offline simpleguy

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 01:44:17 PM »
Taylor 3006,

thanks for the info!