Author Topic: Generator deaths in Florida  (Read 334 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Generator deaths in Florida
« on: September 27, 2017, 08:24:52 PM »
No, not lack of generator power in nursing homes, deaths of people who tried to run generators inside homes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/09/27/citing-florida-deaths-nelson-grills-regulator-slow-response-generator-safety/709461001/

I feel bad that people (and their children) died, but damn. Use thet things right.  Building them to not emit CO or automatically shut off if CO spikes is just going to make them more expensive, bulkier or less effective.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Generator deaths in Florida
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:06:10 PM »
This happens after every hurricane.  Somehow, there's always somebody who doesn't get the word not to run a generator inside.  My heart goes out to the kids who pay for their parents' stupidity.  As for adults who do this, I have nothing for them.

OK, maybe add a CO detector & shut-off.  But for every idiot this saves, how many people will die when their refrigerated medication spoils because the CO detector malfunctioned and wouldn't let the generator run?  There's always a cost to these things, a risk whenever complexity is increased.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 09:09:47 PM »
Really a co detector on the generator. What do they last 5 years when stationary in a house.
I can see those being ripped off faster than recoil cords.
Negotiating with obama is like playing chess with a pigeon , the pigeon knocks over all the pieces , shits on the board, then struts around on the board like it won the game.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 09:19:16 PM »
Aw hell, I'll go ahead and say it.
Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Too bad about the kids though.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 09:20:27 PM »
OK, maybe add a CO detector & shut-off.  But for every idiot this saves, how many people will die when their refrigerated medication spoils because the CO detector malfunctioned and wouldn't let the generator run?  There's always a cost to these things, a risk whenever complexity is increased.

Earlier this week i went through AED (automated external defibrillator) training as we are adding them to our local range. One thing that impressed me is that they have integrated voice instructions on how to use.  How about instead of adding co2 detectors which can have a lot of problems they just add in warning messages when the generator has power output?  Something like: "warning generator is running.  Ensure that generator is placed outdoors.  Leaving inside a structure could result in death."  A voice prompt like that would literally cost pennies to add.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »
Putting a CO detector/shutdown device on a CO producing tool intended for outdoor use is on par with making sure all your knives are dull. Why do I suspect this guy has some sort of ties to a company that would produce such a device for sale?

@ Alan Georges: I like that quote.  :)
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 07:15:25 AM »
  You just can't legislate or regulate stupidity and artificial intelligence will always meet it's match with natural stupidity.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?