Author Topic: fire, Sonoma county CA, Santa Rosa area  (Read 1206 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
fire, Sonoma county CA, Santa Rosa area
« on: October 09, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »
This fire is actually into the city proper and housing areas. I believe the city of Santa Rosa itself, 200,000 people, has had fire into the edges of it, and then alot of smaller towns and areas outside of it. Reports say schools, hospitals and homes have burned

Different fire, same county has Sonoma State University closed now, too.

One of the main guys from peak prosperity is in this area, so there is a thread there with a few local viewpoints, and things to remember and think about for evacuating : https://www.peakprosperity.com/discussion/113329/massive-fire-napasonoma-counties-california

In addition to the 400 homes that have been destroyed, many more are threatened. Mandatory evacuation orders are in effect. More than 17,000 people have already been forced from their homes. Several evacuation centers are now open, and many schools are closed for the day.

State of emergency declared

EDIT: deleted bad link
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:19:29 PM by Mr. Bill »
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: fire, Sonoma county CA, Santa Rosa area
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 01:46:09 PM »
my sister in law is in the area and has her car packed.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
Someone local actually sent me the wrong link, here is the correct link --sorry  hopefully the abc news link and quote above can have a modertor take it out ?

More than a dozen wildfires whipped by powerful winds swept through California wine country Monday, destroying at least 1,500 homes and businesses and sending an estimated 20,000 people on a headlong flight to safety through smoke and flames.

The state's fire chief called the damage estimates conservative and said the fires were burning throughout an eight-county swath of Northern California, including Napa, Sonoma and Yuba counties.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wildfires-force-evacuations-northern-california-085356314.html

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 08:07:15 PM »
I will post some kind of link whenever I come across a decent one, but the summary as of now is this; This is one of the most homes lost in a California fire in modern memory, and quite a few live have been lost too. We dont usually have large fires get close in like this where even hospitals are evacuated. It was so quick, too. People being woken up and running out as best they could, at least one hotel, too, guests running out and the hotel gone.

this link seems to have reasonable information and background, etc....   http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-napa-fires-20171009-story.html

Oakland hills fire in 1991 had 3300 structures and 25 dead. This one so far is estimated at over 1500 homes/business gone and count is 10 dead that they know about so far. We realy do not want to break any records here, let's hope the Oakland Hills will remain the worst.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:22:34 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 08:10:50 PM »
What an absolutely incredible conflagration!!!  Unbelievable!
23:57:30

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:32:43 PM »
Wow, that popped up fast.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 10:16:03 AM »
This fire, as I said, got into a major city, not just homes out in the "rural wildland interface" , housing tracts not in what we consider to be a fire danger zone, quite a surprise for them to be woken up to ! A high school, a fire station, hotels, other businesses, other housing areas.

Here is a link of a before and after of one of the housing areas, so you can see, it was just a sea of standard tract homes....and I am sorry for their loss, and for the loss of lives that has happened up there.

http://www.businessinsider.com/santa-rosa-fire-coffey-park-neighborhood-2017-10

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 10:48:54 AM »
...Here is a link of a before and after of one of the housing areas, so you can see, it was just a sea of standard tract homes...

Yeah, this is just crazy.  I remember the Oakland Hills fire, before and after, but that was low-density suburbs in basically a tall forest full of eucalyptus, so it was easier to understand.  Who plans for a firestorm in a standard tract home neighborhood? :(

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »
  Who plans for a firestorm in a standard tract home neighborhood? :(

Apparently no one remembers the Fort McMurray fire when 88,000 people forced from their homes in the middle of the city?

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »
Just found out a friend of mine's family was in the area for a wedding. Fled so quick they didn't quite have the van door shut when they drove through flames. Her grandmother (whose cabin I frequent during the summer) suffered 3rd degree burns to the legs. Cars were ruined, the hotel (and all their belongings) are gone.

Dribs and drabs through Facebook (and my wife since I don't use Facebook much).
The rotation of the earth really makes my day.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 01:22:20 PM »
Apparently no one remembers the Fort McMurray fire when 88,000 people forced from their homes in the middle of the city?

Cedar

I absolutely remember it ! wasnt that long ago. I was comparing to what we usually see in California, not discounting that tragedy in Canada at all. Fuel load surrounding the two cities are completely different, so they were not thinking that way. Oakland hills fire had alot of Tree fuel load too. Not Santa Rosa. We just usually have time to protect and deflect fires in the dry grass/scrub oak hills away from populations. Not this time. Wonder what they will find as the cause of this fire....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:28:09 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »
I was curious the cause of the fires. Did all ten start in one day?

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 01:53:52 PM »
I was curious the cause of the fires. Did all ten start in one day?

Cedar

Eventually we will know more. Likely different causes for each. This was a known red-flag weekend, we had unusual high winds for alot of California, the winds they had were not usual, it was forcasted though, there was warning. Dry, high winds are much more typical in Southern CA, Santa Ana winds. I even felt the winds on my roof sunday night when I was up too late finishing canning. But, they got more of the winds than around here. So, yes, it was a known dangerous time, but we do get those. There was fuel break areas that this fire crossed. Alot of damage was in the city, in areas that we would consider about as fire safe as we can make it, real lack of fuel, excepting the actual buildings. The high winds carried embers quicker and farther than usual is about all I can say right now. We will find out more, and I will say something here when all is done if I hear anything. You can only prepare so much, and only take the precautions that can be taken.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »
Disneyland is getting ash and orange skies
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41568188

15 dead, 150 unaccounted for from these wildfires. Just read 100,000 acres in 12 hrs.

Cedar

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 02:32:56 AM »
Just talked with my brother who lives in Lake County, north of Santa Rosa.  They were almost burned out two years ago (evacuated but house was intact).  They have a fire(s) up in Lake County as well and a lot of the smoke from the fires down south.  He says it has been nerve wracking with all the alerts, and warnings to prepare to evacuate and then not, plus the amount of smoke.  Pretty sick of it. I can't imagine the fright the folks in Sonoma county and nearby that were woken in the middle of the night and had to flee pronto.  I hope they all had good  insurance and can rebuild out of this.  Many priceless family keepsakes went up in the fire, I'm sure. With 15 people dead and 200 (?) missing I imagine there were a LOT of pets and livestock that were also killed.  Very tragic for everyone down there.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 08:24:08 AM »
Yes, I am sure there are animal losses. But, also, I have seen a photo in news here of whole house and barn, etc..., burned, and there are the goats, out in the field, lived thru it ! Also, alot of animal evacs happened, just depended on how much notice. We evac things like livestock, horses esp., way ahead once we know there is a fire. So, your frustrated friend doesnt have near the stress of a large animal owner that is needing to make a decision to evac horses and goats ahead of time, and then, yes, the fire may well not go to your house. The Sonoma county fair grounds has evac animals housed. Animals are gotten before household stuff, but when you have NO warning, there would be no time to load. I bet some of the burn victims were trying to get animals, and alot of them were likely successful. WHen there is no time to evac, you have to just open the gates and pens and let them run. So, then these loose animals are often found later.

When there is warning, they can be evac'd for you. I was out of town my last fire evacuation, and got home to find that the horse evac people had gotten my goats and barn cat, for which I am thankful. SInce it was evening by the time I made it to teh house, we were able to grab the chickens and the house cat. SO, goats and barn cat were housed at a nice horse ladies place a few towns over in an area she had ( old chicken coop), they were there about a week, and we dropped off the other cat and chickens to the county animal shelter. They farmed the chickens out to someone in the community, and had a wall of cats in a back room from our area until fire danger had passed.

Dogs are easiest to get, of course. Order of evac is, get the kids, then if can the dog, and then if can the cat (which can be harder) and other animals, then the photos. Red cross will give you a toothbrush..... been there. People are sometimes hurt because it all moves quicker than you think if the fire is right at your house already. A friend years ago had a house fire, she didnt know the bedroom was on fire until she opened the door to it. Small house, she pushed the preschooler out the front door and ran across the room, baby on her hip, to grab the dog and she barely made it out the back door with the dog when all the windows blew in the house. It was so incredibly fast.  She knew she could get out that back door, sure, but boy, what a worry when the windows blew and the older child was.... did she realy know were ? .... sensible child though, minded her mom. was away enough.

I received notice last night that the 4H group over the hill is gathering donations of large and small animal feeds to bring up there to the Sonoma county fairgrounds. And, since I have to go that way today, I am going to drop off a bag off dairy goat pellets for them to take.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:52:48 AM by mountainmoma »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 08:32:47 AM »
The San Jose paper was running a story about power lines possibly causing some of the intial sparks/fire. But, we will see. With 75 mph winds, trees or branches tossed onto lines could have done. I will post once they realy know. Yes, things are trimmed, things are mowed, etc.... but, those were some bad winds, could have thrown branches a ways.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 05:12:12 PM »
Quick update was posted on NextDoor today , here it is: Sad news

Fire Details today (let me put it into perspective) This is why theres smoke..

CalOES just finished a televised press conference related to ongoing fire operations and support issues. Below is a summary:

·         14 fires in north bay area (24 statewide)
·         3500 home and businesses destroyed
·         170,000 acres burned so far
·         Winds gusting up to 40mph; relative humidity down
·        21 fatalities
·         Anticipating several fires to merge

·         Atlas Fire at 42,000 acres
·         Tubbs Fire at 25,000 acres
·         New evacuation orders for north Calistoga area
·         Smoke was hampering air operations, but visibility improving
·         Out of state resources coming
·         Resources:
o   73 helos
o   30 air tankers
o   550 engines (150 more on the way)
o   8,000 firefighters
o   330 law enforcement officers
o   112 CHP officers

I was out all day, and the mid and northern parts of Silicon Valley, the smoke was burning my eyes a bit while I was in the car.

I pray they get it out quick and that most of the remaining missing just havent found a way to get in touch with family

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »
  There oughta' be a law preventing such fires... :sarcasm:
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 06:40:09 PM »
  There oughta' be a law preventing such fires... :sarcasm:

I know, this fire had no respect for the posted "No Fire" zone ! You should have some popcorn, my treat,    :popcorn: I still get to have no popcorn --

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 06:57:15 PM »
I know, this fire had no respect for the posted "No Fire" zone ! You should have some popcorn, my treat,    :popcorn: I still get to have no popcorn --

How about jelly beans? Can you have jelly beans?

https://www.amazon.com/Jelly-Belly-Buttered-Popcorn-Beans/dp/B003J9QJEA/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1507769858&sr=8-5&keywords=jelly+belly+buttered+popcorn+jelly+beans

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 07:03:39 PM »
How about jelly beans? Can you have jelly beans?

https://www.amazon.com/Jelly-Belly-Buttered-Popcorn-Beans/dp/B003J9QJEA/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1507769858&sr=8-5&keywords=jelly+belly+buttered+popcorn+jelly+beans

No, too much sugar -- But, a square of 85%dark chocolate has very, very little sugar  -- and, I make hot cocoa (no sugar) almost every night, so I dont suffer too much.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 10:12:01 PM »
my sister in law is evacuating, the fire is half a mile from her house.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
my sister in law is evacuating, the fire is half a mile from her house.

:(

Cedar

Online iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 09:23:38 AM »
On radio they are saying fires are causing a dangerous air quality situation in bay area.  They are recommending that people, especially elderly and those with respiratory conditions, get NIOSH approved N95, N100 or P100 masks from home improvement stores.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 09:36:02 AM »
On radio they are saying fires are causing a dangerous air quality situation in bay area.  They are recommending that people, especially elderly and those with respiratory conditions, get NIOSH approved N95, N100 or P100 masks from home improvement stores.

Yes --even as far away as Palo Alto my eyes were stinging in the car yesterday, I was even more exhausted than usual by the whole outing( I do have asthma) etc...dont know if even things like that will get the coaches to call off soccer practice, but if I had a kid up there, I'd sure be saying something ! The further north, the worse it would be, and it varies in the further away areas like Silicon Valley depending on the wind

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 09:52:20 AM »
  The good news is they can build in more houses and multi family living to help the housing shortage now...silver lining in that cloud.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »
  The good news is they can build in more houses and multi family living to help the housing shortage now...silver lining in that cloud.

too funny.....

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »

List of buildings burned, although I would think this is not a complete list : http://abc7news.com/list-buildings-damaged-destroyed-by-north-bay-wildfires/2513269/

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 07:48:10 PM »
One couple survived the fire by spending 6 hours in a swimming pool. 

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-abcarian-sonoma-fire-20171012-htmlstory.html
They submerged themselves in the blackened, debris-filled water. They had grabbed T-shirts to hold over their faces to protect themselves from embers when they surfaced for air.

They moved to the part of the pool farthest from the house. John was worried about having to tread water, or hanging on to the side, which could be dangerous with all the burning objects flying around. Blessedly, the pool had no deep end. It was about 4 feet deep all the way across.

To stay warm, they held each other......I just kept going under,” she said. It was the only way to survive. “And I kept saying, ‘How long does it take for a house to burn down?’ We were freezing.”.......At first light, the Pascoes had been in the pool for about six hours.

There was a couple in San Diego County who survived the Witch Creek fire 10 years ago the same way.
http://legacy.sandiegouniontribune.com/uniontrib/20071027/news_1n27pool.html
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.