Author Topic: Locksmith Scams  (Read 845 times)

Offline econrad

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Locksmith Scams
« on: October 10, 2017, 01:18:23 PM »
I have been screwed over so many times by Locksmiths. How do you guys avoid getting scammed when you've locked your keys in the car?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Locksmith Scams
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:33:19 PM »
Have a hideout key. And two keys with trusted family/ friends.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."
- Cedar

"Time shall unfold what plighted cunning hides,
Who covers faults, at last with shame derides."
- King Leer Act I, Sc I, Ln 263

"What happens when a nation, although acting consistently with its own laws, behaves so monstrously that other nations, and eventually history itself, are compelled to condemn it?" - R. Noak

"The free press is the despot’s enemy, which makes the free press the guardian of democracy. When a figure in power reflexively calls any press that doesn’t suit him 'fake news,' it is that person who should be the figure of suspicion, not the press"- J.F.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »
I have been screwed over so many times by Locksmiths. How do you guys avoid getting scammed when you've locked your keys in the car?

I always carry a house and a car key,duct taped flat in my wallet and a spare taped in my shoe's tongue and one on a paracord on my neck.
Why is it that the same people who use science to convince you of Global Warming,refuse DNA Science that proves you are male or female.

Government solves few problems that it does not first create.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 02:43:03 PM »

What is that they do to "scam" or "screw" you?  It's not that I doubt you, I just haven't heard of anyone having problems with them before.
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 05:30:03 AM »
What is that they do to "scam" or "screw" you?  It's not that I doubt you, I just haven't heard of anyone having problems with them before.

One person's 'screwed' is another persons making a living.
Why is it that the same people who use science to convince you of Global Warming,refuse DNA Science that proves you are male or female.

Government solves few problems that it does not first create.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
We are AAA members and feel they help a great deal when working with locksmiths, tow trucks, etc. They have much greater negotiating power to ensure rates are reasonable.  The savings I receive at hotels and other places make it essentially free each year.  So it actually has a positive payback for us.

Some locksmiths have posted rate cards on their websites.  So you can assure alignment with that.  For example my neighbor who is a locksmith charges a flat rate of $35 for entry into a car.

Offline Applejack

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 05:20:26 PM »
We used to be members of AAA and they opened a car care center down the street from us. We got our van inspected there and they screwed us over big time saying the ty rods were bad. Better yet when we got it inspected the second year we were told the same thing so we told them to put a rejection sticker on it. We had the van reinspected and the ty rods were fine and the one from the year before was never changed. It was the original ty rod. They not only lied to us but they charged us for replacing a ty rod they never replaced. needless to say it got reported and we dropped AAA after that. Not worth the money for the small amount of discounts you get. If I need a toe my insurance covers it anyway. So why pay twice.
Keep the faith

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 06:44:45 PM »
I don't like AAA for any auto repair, as one of their "recommended" shops once told me I needed a new $1800 computer board in my car. Since my car is barely worth that much, I took it elsewhere for a second opinion and it turned out to be a spark plug  :facepalm:

However, they're great for towing (had to use them a couple times). Haven't needed a locksmith yet, but I just like to have it for peace of mind I suppose. Those are the kind of things I don't want to have to decide when I'm in a stressful situation like my car breaking down.

Online archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 08:07:21 AM »
I keep aaa for towing/road help for all of my cars. but using one of their shops? haha nah. not going to happen.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/