Author Topic: Locksmith Scams  (Read 382 times)

Offline econrad

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Locksmith Scams
« on: October 10, 2017, 01:18:23 PM »
I have been screwed over so many times by Locksmiths. How do you guys avoid getting scammed when you've locked your keys in the car?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Locksmith Scams
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:33:19 PM »
Have a hideout key. And two keys with trusted family/ friends.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »
I have been screwed over so many times by Locksmiths. How do you guys avoid getting scammed when you've locked your keys in the car?

I always carry a house and a car key,duct taped flat in my wallet and a spare taped in my shoe's tongue and one on a paracord on my neck.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 02:43:03 PM »

What is that they do to "scam" or "screw" you?  It's not that I doubt you, I just haven't heard of anyone having problems with them before.
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 05:30:03 AM »
What is that they do to "scam" or "screw" you?  It's not that I doubt you, I just haven't heard of anyone having problems with them before.

One person's 'screwed' is another persons making a living.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
We are AAA members and feel they help a great deal when working with locksmiths, tow trucks, etc. They have much greater negotiating power to ensure rates are reasonable.  The savings I receive at hotels and other places make it essentially free each year.  So it actually has a positive payback for us.

Some locksmiths have posted rate cards on their websites.  So you can assure alignment with that.  For example my neighbor who is a locksmith charges a flat rate of $35 for entry into a car.