Author Topic: Anyone use an ulu?  (Read 6611 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Anyone use an ulu?
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:26:35 PM »
Does anyone use an ulu in their food preparations? I'm curious to get some impressions of that people think of them,

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Anyone use an ulu?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »
me too want to know.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »
maybe Cedar does, she knows nearly everything.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.

Offline prepgal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »
I use one in my kitchen for just about everything, I love it.  It works especially good for me because I only have the use of one hand. It is much safer than a regular knife for me.  But be careful, they are sharp!  This morning I cut a pound of partially frozen bacon in half; it went through like butter clean through bacon and both sides of package into the counter in one rocking motion.  I have to remember to use a cutting board  :D
prepgal

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »
I have had one for 25 years.  Its a good hide scraper.  veggychopper , pizza cutter. meatr tenderizer. pasta cutter.  ect..  its very safe to use,  It works good for many things.  Every one should have one.

Offline Herew

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:18:58 PM »
I love mine! We use it almost every day. Be sure to get the bowel shaped cutting board.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” -Tolkien

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
I forgot that Herew!  Makes things alot easier with the Ulu!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »
I love mine! We use it almost every day. Be sure to get the bowel shaped cutting board.

that is actually what first attracted me to a Ulu.  I like the idea of keeping everything I am mincing in a small area that I can go over and over.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 08:43:54 PM »
thanks all. i'm going to look for one now with the bowl..

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 07:36:49 AM »
I use a single blade, one hand Mezzaluna (half moon) and Bowl. It's the Italian distant cousin of the Ulu. It's awesome.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »
I love using an ulu WITH the bowl.  I had never heard of them before moving up here to AK, but they are all over the place here.  I still prefer a knife, but an ulu is very safe to use, very easy to use, and as long as you don't get one of the touristy ones, they are very sharp.  The touristy ones are usually just a thin sheet of metal that has been sharpened, while the good ones are real blades. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »
I love using an ulu WITH the bowl.  I had never heard of them before moving up here to AK, but they are all over the place here.  I still prefer a knife, but an ulu is very safe to use, very easy to use, and as long as you don't get one of the touristy ones, they are very sharp.  The touristy ones are usually just a thin sheet of metal that has been sharpened, while the good ones are real blades. 

thanks! now i just have to figure out which is which on amazon..

Offline Nomad, 2nd

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
Love mine

+ 1 on the bowl

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 09:11:09 PM »
Any suggestions on brands?

Offline Howard Wallace

• Master Goat Inflator
  • Survivor
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »
There are quite a few craftsmen making ulus and selling them on e-bay.  I favor ulus made out of saw blades, as they tend to cut better than the mass produced blades that may be part of even otherwise handcrafted ulus. 

There are different sizes and shapes of ulus for different purposes.  They're addictive.  For food prep I'd suggest starting with one with 5 or 6 inches of blade.  A shallow wooden bowl with appropriate curvature is easy to find at a thrift store.    A specialized board I use is like a wooden trough with one end open.  That prevents things from getting away and it is easy to sweep the contents into a frying pan.  For many veggies like carrots, potatoes, squash, celery, etc I prefer a flat cutting board.
Howard Wallace

~~~Whatever floats your goat~~~

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »
I've had an Ulu for about 20 years and it's showing some wear. DH fixed that handle a while back as it was coming apart - he put a couple of dowels in and glued it back together because it's one thing I use all the time. Perhaps I'll have to buy a new one some day soon.

Mine doesn't show a brand anywhere that's still legible but has a moose etched into the blade.  I think it's better than a pizza cutter for slicing pizza.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my GOAT already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

America will never be destroyed from outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed GOATS." Abraham  Lincoln

DEV being nice... sorta goes along with GOATS howling, babies bursting into tears, birds suddenly becoming silent, and an ominous greenish lighting spreading across the landscape...

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 07:07:33 PM »
maybe Cedar does,

Yes, I own one..

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 07:08:12 PM »
I have had one for 25 years.  Its a good hide scraper.  veggychopper , pizza cutter. meatr tenderizer. pasta cutter.  ect..  its very safe to use,  It works good for many things.  Every one should have one.

Yeppers..

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Howard Wallace

• Master Goat Inflator
  • Survivor
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 06:39:46 AM »
Here is a page I put together a while back showing some handcrafted ulus, including one me and my wife made.  http://www.aolisi.net/Ulu.htm

Here's a design based on a marriage of an ulu and a chef's knife I came up with, and had constructed by the late knifemaker Mel Sorg.  http://www.aolisi.net/WallaceKitchenKnife.htm
Howard Wallace

~~~Whatever floats your goat~~~

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 10:48:31 AM »
Here is a page I put together a while back showing some handcrafted ulus, including one me and my wife made.  http://www.aolisi.net/Ulu.htm

Here's a design based on a marriage of an ulu and a chef's knife I came up with, and had constructed by the late knifemaker Mel Sorg.  http://www.aolisi.net/WallaceKitchenKnife.htm

Nice pages Howard. Nice knives. Now I have a new web site to browse around

Offline AlaskaGrover

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 11:31:38 AM »
I love my Ulu knife.  I have learned to filet salmon with mine, after a demo by a native alaskan woman on You Tube.  I cut cleanly and quickly, leaving only a slight pink tinge on the bones when I am done.  I also use it when processing the chickens and turkeys.  Best de-boning knife ever  :)  The one I have has a very thin "cheep" blade and was sold as a tourist souvenir.  It is easy to sharpen and cuts well.  I have seen much more substantial knives in the stores, but the cheepy is my favorite for now. 

Offline btn

• Prepper
    • Before the Need
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »
I was given one for filleting salmon like AlaskaGrover mentions, but I've found it most useful for mincing.  Anything that takes a lot of force to cut is much easier to mince with an ulu than with a chef's knife.  It's outstanding for tough sticky stuff like crystallized ginger.  Particularly effective with the curved cutting board like other replies mentioned.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »
I got one for Christmas, a 6" knife with bowl from the ulu factory (via amazon).

I have enjoyed it.  It slices a frozen pound of bacon right in half.  I have tried chopping veggies with it, but it makes me too nervous.  Mostly, I love it for mincing wet items - Moroccan lemons ( http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=22990.msg252637#msg252637 ), garlic for GOOT, ginger for chinese food.  I also used it on cabbage for sauerkraut: I used my grater for most of that, but the ends that wouldn't grate got sent to the Ulu.  I do not use it often, but it is definitely an important part of my kitchen tools

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 11:32:10 PM »
Any suggestions on brands?

And suggestions for sources for quality?

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!
Murder Capital of the South

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 10:01:54 AM »
And suggestions for sources for quality?

All of the ulu makers make both cheap ulus and very nice ulus. My advice is to get an ulu bigger than 5", pay extra to get the bowl, and don't spend less than ~$20 on it.

If you are buying from a place where you can actually pick it up and feel it before you buy it, make sure it's thicker metal than an old circular saw blade that someone took a grinder to and then sharpened and polished.

Offline GrayMan

• Prepper
  • The nail that sticks out gets the hammer
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »
We have an ulu, and use it constantly-- at least a few times a week. Best pizza cutter ever, useful for chopping herbs, onions, etc.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 01:23:34 AM »
i received a chinese semi-ulu knife for xmas.. but now the blade is chipped (from butchering a chicken) and i need to sharpen it.. hm, i'll have to go look for ulu's again
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:21:17 AM by Archer »

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 09:41:11 AM »
i received a cinese semi-ulu knife for xmas.. but now the blade is chipped (from butchering a chicken) and i need to sharpen it.. hm, i'll have to go look for ulu's again

Bench grinder and whetstone should do the trick.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 10:21:44 AM »
Bench grinder and whetstone should do the trick.
i have a bench grinder, forgot about it until now. hmm... wonder where it is...