Author Topic: 299 Days: The Community (Book Three) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]  (Read 43239 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
As of this post book 3 is not yet available, but no reason we can't start speculating :)

Burning questions...

• Will Lisa pull her head out in time?
  • Will Nancy complete her metamorphosis into a demon?
  • Which of the "good guys" will make a horrible mistake and what will it be?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:26:39 PM by Nicodemus »

Offline Jeff NH

• Survivor
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me.
    • Free State Project
Re: 299 Days: [Title TBD] (Book Three) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:11:40 PM »
Saw the threat title. Thought book 3 was out. Looking forward to it!

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
As of this post book 3 is not yet available, but no reason we can't start speculating :)

Burning questions...

Something dramatic will have to happen for Lisa to fully extract her cranium from her, um, armpit.
Nancy will become a jack-booted thug.
I am a little suspicious of Chip. He just showed up at the cabin and lied about where he was moving the guns. But, frankly, I am not good at ferreting out who the traitors are in any story.

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
That's one thing that bugged me -- Lisa's an ER doc.  I know two in Miami aand they live in the sh*t.  The type isn't one for looking for angel-farting unicorns, they deal with what's in front of them, brutally, and then on to the next one.  After the attack on Cole, the physical/emotional transition to the cabin, and being shown up a bit by her daughter, I think it's go-time.  On a selfish level, I hope this is the case because I want my wife to read this, but right now, books 1 & 2 are a little misogynistic, with women as idiots or budding tyrants.  I believe this is intentional as a setup, and that Lisa's going to be a star.  Nancy's on a path to a quick drop followed by a sudden stop.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »

I want my wife to read this, but right now, books 1 & 2 are a little misogynistic, with women as idiots or budding tyrants. 

Book Three will be great for wives to read...

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 03:47:28 AM »
Looking forward to it!  Thank you for the fun read so far. 

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 05:01:31 AM »
Want me to really spoil it for you?   Remember I was given the privilege of reading the full 10 book series.

Will Nancy complete her metamorphosis into a demon?
I'm only 80% through the 10 books so don't know what happens to Nancy in the end, but I was shocked at her actions.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 06:13:22 AM »

Want me to really spoil it for you?   Remember I was given the privilege of reading the full 10 book series.
I'm only 80% through the 10 books so don't know what happens to Nancy in the end, but I was shocked at her actions.

Fritz: Book Ten is a doozy for Nancy's character.  You'll be surprised--and love--how it ends with her.  Not exactly what you think.  But kinda. 

Trust me: Nancy in the end is not a comic book super villaincharacter.  Because that's not real life.  But she's a really bad person.  That's real life.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 06:39:50 AM »
Regarding Lisa possibly getting over normalcy bias, you'll enjoy Chapter 90 ("A Case of Tuna, Big Boy") in Book Three. 

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »
Re: Lisa's an ER doc

I don't that being an ER doc automatically immunizes one from normalcy bias.

Even if an ER doctor saw gang-bangers with gunshots and pill-heads with couch lock each and every day, they would KNOW that they could leave the freaky-deaky behind and come home to their "normal" life.

When the "unnormal" comes to your neighborhood, there is nowhere "normal" to go.

Unless you have a husband with a cabin up at Pierce Point... but Lisa has to get used to a new definition of what "normal" is to accept the trip with the Team to Pierce Point.

How do I know that?  Have I read all 10 books? NO.  It's because Heavy G is writing about what everyday people do, and I have seen this behavior in real life, too.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 10:16:31 AM »

What I meant by that wasn't necessarily treachery, just a goof up.  Maybe one of the many folks seeking Grant's protection will violate op-sec.  Or perhaps they neglected some mundane, but critical prep that leads to trouble.

The bigger the group, the bigger the chance some one does something stupid.  That's true with companies, governments and even a group of guys out backpacking.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »
That happens several times, but I don't think during book 3.  Later in the series I know there are several OPSEC breeches.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »
Fritz: Book Ten is a doozy for Nancy's character.  You'll be surprised--and love--how it ends with her.  Not exactly what you think.  But kinda. 

Trust me: Nancy in the end is not a comic book super villaincharacter.  Because that's not real life.  But she's a really bad person.  That's real life.

And that is one of the aspects of 299 Days I really enjoy.  I find myself anticipating all kinds of lethal treachery at every turn because that is what other survivalist novels do: everyone outside "the group" is a threat, either by violence or stupidity.  You've kept 299 Days based on real life actions and while people can betray and plot against you, it doesn't happen at every turn or to the mutant zombie biker level.  Some people really are your friends!

I think a big threat long term in such a situation will be the neighborhood snitch who brings the normally can't-be-found authorities to confiscate your goods or detain/arrest you.  I'm not too worried about my neighbors becoming cannibals that I have to put down.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »
I see her as a true believer.  Most true believers are dangerous when their entire belief system comes into question.

BTW, the entire series has been great, but I'm getting to parts that I have trouble putting the book down.  I started reading it on vacation and got 100+ chapters into it.  Over the past month I've gotten 120+ chapters further along.  Now I'm volunteering to take the kids to additional activities that my wife would normally take them to so that I have more time to read.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »
"Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill" - Fausto Coppi

Offline kangaroojoe

• Prepper
    • my YouTube channel - Homesteadonomics
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
Finished the first two....now I gotta wait :'( for number 3.  But it has been good so far... I was a little sad at the Grant and Lisa situation, I wish Grant hadn't  left as he did but I cant imagine dealing with an 'ostrich' like Lisa.  I guess its what she needed but I still didnt like the fact that the kids were left behind.  But anyways.... GREAT read so far.  Kuddos to Heavy G for writing this.... just wish there was more available to read ;D     So hurry up and get it out already! ;)

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 10:29:16 PM »

I see her as a true believer.  Most true believers are dangerous when their entire belief system comes into question.

Yep.  Nancy represents the true believers.  They're out there.  I work with them.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 05:05:34 AM »
Yep.  Nancy represents the true believers.  They're out there.  I work with them.
Unfortunately, so do I.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 09:13:29 AM »

AKA "loyalists" ?

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 09:37:57 AM »
I think this has been pretty well established. She's gotten a good look at the Team's capabilities, she's seen what can happen to her family if she doesn't take action, and she's got the skills to be a HUGE asset to this new group of people. I see her really falling for Grant all over again and being a perfect compliment to his perspective (they dis-trust different types of people).
Frankly, I'm surprised to hear that she's even continuing in the story. I was expecting her to take a midling role in the new "Peace Keeper" force and then fade into oblivion as things continue to disintegrate. If she remains a presence throughout the series I don't see her becoming the primary antagonist. Personally, I'm a hell of a lot more scared of Menlow and how he's developing. Personal vendettas are well and good when people are forced to be in the same area, but now that they're all out at the cabin I don't think Nancy has the tools to reach them. Menlow, on the other hand, looks to have far more ambition and resources than Nancy.
So hard to tell at this point. If this was any typical novel you would be 99% confident that a few of the more minor heroes would get a bullet, if for no other reason than just to give the story a crutch through the next handful of books.... but I get the distinct feeling that "Glen" purposely avoided that. I see either a huge surprise (one of the primary protagonists), or (hopefully) nobody ends up dying from a mistake.

Hard to tell with so many characters left to show up. I've got a feeling Special Forces Ted is going to show up with a mixed bag... a few good guys who will add to the Team and a few traitors who will cause some real problems. Between them and the rest of the cabin's neighborhood, there's going to be another 20-50 people inside that perimeter that will all need to come together as a team very quickly before the chaos spreads to them. The checkpoint at the road could be the least of their problems if they've got internal strife and there's other ways out onto the Pointe that Grant doesn't know about yet (trails, boats, etc)...

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
The checkpoint at the road could be the least of their problems if they've got internal strife and there's other ways out onto the Pointe that Grant doesn't know about yet (trails, boats, etc)...

I am waiting for this  ;)   Having grown up on the bay in that area even as kids we traveled by boat and beach to most places.  By the time I was 12 I had my own aluminum boat and a 3hp 1940s Evinrude I bought with lawn mowing money.  Used it for fishing but also to go into Olympia, across the bay to Cooper's Point, Over to Squaxin and Hartstine Island and points in between.  The Sound is very active with boaters from sailboats, fishing boats, cruisers, and small runabouts. There would definitely be marauders coming by boat.  The first time I drew a gun on someone was when I was 16 and chased very aggressive hippie oyster robbers off our beach who arrived by sailboat (yes, only in liberal Olympia do you get that combination!).  In a SHTF scenario there would be a lot of theft and home break-ins via the water.

And of course most of the woods around there have some network of trails the local kids use to traverse and explore.  These would not be exploited right away, but over time would be used as the more obvious avenues get protection.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »
Myself being another western WA local, I think covert movement over short distances would be fairly easy given the terrain.  Near the foothills there are miles of hiking/single track trails in very dense coniferous forest. 

I think it'd be fairly easy for some rogue group to conduct raids and retreat into the nearby trails.  This of course wouldn't last long, but during a partial collapse this might go on for a few weeks without consequence.

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 12:56:28 AM »
Just finished book one and two and I really enjoyed them.  I give it 5 stars and can't wait for the next one.  At first I thought the pace would be too slow, but it was just right.  One of my favorite parts is the voice in his head and the Christian references in the story.

I have read a lot of this type of fiction and most have an element that is not realistic.  For example, somehow finding the supplies or people that are needed at just the right time.  My other personal favorite is where they still have a supply of gasoline when everyone else is one foot.  We are so addicted to cars that we cannot see people functioning without them.  I think that gas will be gone before we lose power, cell networks, the internet, and before the grocery stores are empty.  I think that one second after is the most realistic as it depicts the majority of people starving to death. 

On Lisa-  I worked in a ER and the docs that I saw were very familiar with blood, death and dying. I also found that they live in a world of privilege and many lack the ability to empathize with others.  It will be interesting to see how this is resolved.  I wonder if Amanda is mad about being left behind.  I would be really angry if I was her.

I also wonder how this will be wrapped up in 299 days.   I hope a real collapse will be resolved that fast.  I think that this implies a lot of organization with a larger group or community forming.   I guess that we will have to wait and see.  I hate waiting for the next book to come out. 

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 05:18:24 AM »

I also wonder how this will be wrapped up in 299 days. ...  I think that this implies a lot of organization with a larger group or community forming. 

;D

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 06:57:47 PM »
Heavy G, this is really kinda fun with you taunting us with smileys.  Of course, for your release strategy of book pairs separated by months, spiced with teases and hints here, I wish you a mild case of exema equal to our prolonged annoyance, but thank you just the same.   ;)

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 09:24:17 PM »

Heavy G, this is really kinda fun with you taunting us with smileys.  Of course, for your release strategy of book pairs separated by months, spiced with teases and hints here, I wish you a mild case of exema equal to our prolonged annoyance, but thank you just the same.   ;)

;D ;D

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 09:34:58 AM »
Looking forward to today's interview on Jack's show, and hoping for some kind of early release of Book 3 to MSB members!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 10:10:41 AM »
At first I was annoyed waiting for the next pair of books, but I've made it this far. 
As a kindle owner, it's not like I'm out of content...

I've been reading these:

http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/

Almost done with the last of the Enemies Trilogy.  I highly recommend them, but only after you buy and read 299 Days of course :)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 04:06:51 PM »
At first I was annoyed waiting for the next pair of books, but I've made it this far. 
As a kindle owner, it's not like I'm out of content...

I've been reading these:

http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/

Almost done with the last of the Enemies Trilogy.  I highly recommend them, but only after you buy and read 299 Days of course :)

+1 on both the EFAD series and Kindles.  If you liked the Trilogy, you will like "Castigo Cay" as well.  No Ranya Bardiwell (alas), but Matt writes good, intelligent female characters, and there's one in Cay you'll like.  Both the male leads in Cay have character reminiscent of a couple of the recurring EFAD characters.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »
+1 on both the EFAD series and Kindles.  If you liked the Trilogy, you will like "Castigo Cay" as well.  No Ranya Bardiwell (alas), but Matt writes good, intelligent female characters, and there's one in Cay you'll like.  Both the male leads in Cay have character reminiscent of a couple of the recurring EFAD characters.

Oh, I read Castigo Cay as well and enjoyed it.  While I enjoyed the story, it was similar enough to the "Enemies" that my brain tried to connect the plots in some way.

Anyhow, sorry for hijacking the thread, but that's going to happen when we're force to wait several weeks for book 3  :knitting: