Author Topic: 299 Days: The Stronghold (Book Four) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]  (Read 34237 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Re: 299 Days: The Stronghold (Book Four) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2012, 08:54:22 PM »

I'm enjoying the series a lot and am looking forward to books 5 and 6. I sure hope we are able to make it to book 10 before it becomes a reality.

Sulla: I love, love, love the "I miss America" on bricks.  That looks totally cool.

Offline JC2

• Senior Survivalist
    • Harvesting Grace Farm
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2012, 11:30:42 PM »
You are correct - the pace is different for different people in different places.  That's how it will be in real life.

I read a book called "Hard Times" not long ago and it is people telling about their experiences during the great depression. It is very eye opening as your quote says
the pace is different for different people in different places.
In the book, some people had no knowledge that a depression was going on except what the news reported. Others, it was absolute misery.

Offline Sulla

• Prepper
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2013, 04:32:10 PM »
Sulla: I love, love, love the "I miss America" on bricks.  That looks totally cool.

Thanks Heavy G.  I'm still looking for a "graffiti" font that has lower case letters so I can be accurate with the 'miss', as soon as I find a font I like I'll redo it.

Offline hoosiermom

• Prepper
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2013, 06:36:45 PM »
I'm enjoying the series a lot and am looking forward to books 5 and 6. I sure hope we are able to make it to book 10 before it becomes a reality.

Sulla - looks awesome.  I love it - this is a keeper, and I think lots will want to share in this great graphic (and thank you Heavy G for the words!).  The phrase is so to the point, non-threatening, etc.  It just is what it is - I miss it, too. 

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2013, 08:43:26 PM »

Sulla - looks awesome.  I love it - this is a keeper, and I think lots will want to share in this great graphic (and thank you Heavy G for the words!).  The phrase is so to the point, non-threatening, etc.  It just is what it is - I miss it, too.

The phrase is also a play on words (sorta): "I miss America" is kind of like the Miss America contest.  Not that the collapse of a country and a beauty pageant have anything in common; it's just that people "miss" in the same sentence as "America" and it sticks with them.

Offline hoosiermom

• Prepper
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
The phrase is also a play on words (sorta): "I miss America" is kind of like the Miss America contest.  Not that the collapse of a country and a beauty pageant have anything in common; it's just that people "miss" in the same sentence as "America" and it sticks with them.

And you know, that did cross my mind when I first read the words.  The whole Miss America pageant is filled with fun stuff, intelligent women, great dresses, etc.  Like it or hate it, if you're watching the Miss America pageant, the thought might cross your mind that hey, anyone can grow up and be Miss America, know what I mean?  And that's what people think/thought of America - hey, anyone can grow up and be Miss America or whatever they want.  I'm not sure I'm properly conveying what's in my head, but hopefully you get the picture.

It's a catchy phrase, and the play on words I think adds to it.  Well done! 

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2013, 04:41:34 PM »
So did I miss the announce release date for Book 5?

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »
So did I miss the announce release date for Book 5?

Book Five should be out in March.

I think we are all starting to tweak out for book5...

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2013, 10:24:09 AM »

And you know, that did cross my mind when I first read the words.  The whole Miss America pageant is filled with fun stuff, intelligent women, great dresses, etc.  Like it or hate it, if you're watching the Miss America pageant, the thought might cross your mind that hey, anyone can grow up and be Miss America, know what I mean?  And that's what people think/thought of America - hey, anyone can grow up and be Miss America or whatever they want.  I'm not sure I'm properly conveying what's in my head, but hopefully you get the picture.

Yep, you are conveying it.  That's one of the aspects of the phrase that I was getting at. 

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »
I think we are all starting to tweak out for book5...

I know I am.  I was very disappointed when I heard Heavy G announce that March date on Armed American Radio.  Still, I support Heavy G in his work, and will be waiting to buy all 10.  If we don't have an economic collapse by then :-D

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
I can understand jonesing for the books, but give ol' G a break. If it were Heavy G R R Martin, it would be a couple of years between releases.  ;D

Offline Giovanni Marmotta

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Hi

I just started Book 4 so I write here. (the last shipment took quite a while to get here, but I'm happy it's possible, at all, to read your books here in Europe.) I really like your books heavy G. There are some aspects about the "politics" and the outside thoughts that irritate me a bit. I can't explain it yet. I still try to make up my mind about it. But mostly I really enjoy your style.
Book 5 is already here and i really hope you are faster than g r r

PS Sorry about my english