Author Topic: Mystery Ranch packs?  (Read 2916 times)

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
Mystery Ranch packs?
« on: November 11, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »
Is anyone familiar with Mystery Ranch packs? They look high quality and really nice. Any first hand experience?

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: Mystery Ranch packs?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »
I have one Mystery Ranch Pack and h ad two, original Terraplane Overkills made by Dana Designs when Dana Gleason owned them.  He was the original owner of Dana Designs.

Keep in mind these are top-of-the line packs with cutting edge designs.  The Terraplanes are made from 1000-denier cordura and intended to be one of the toughest, most durable packs ever created.  In my opinion, they met that requirement and I expect nothing less from Dana's current company's 6500 BVS, which I currently use for my SUPER Long-Range BOB when I'm travelling. 

Keep in mind, you're trading comparably high weight for durability.  They're bomb-proof, but weigh quite a lot (my 6500 is over 9 lbs, empty).

Hope it helps.

The Professor

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »
No experience yet with Mystery Ranch, but I can echo the Prof's comments for the OLD Dana Design products.  I had an Astralplane and a Bombpack.  Both lasted 2 decades and say heavy use on several continents.  By the end they had duct tape patches, snapped stays/backplates, etc.... but I think it would have been unfair to expect otherwise.  They were AWESOME in terms of durability and also carried VERY well.  I didn't realize he was the brains behind it, but if so, hopefully Mystery Ranch will live up to the same.

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »
Thanks The Professor that did help. I guess as cool as they would be I probably can find something more mainstream to fill the gap (and save the money).

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »
Thanks The Professor that did help. I guess as cool as they would be I probably can find something more mainstream to fill the gap (and save the money).

A lot of this will depend upon your budget and required pack size, but. . .

If you want another extremely durable set of packs, take a look at Kifaru or Lowe-Alpine.  The Kifaru's are a little less expensive, but have proven very durable, so far.  I use the Kifaru Navigator as the basis for my home kits.  It's a little smaller, about 4000 cubic inches as opposed to the 6500 ci of the Mystery Ranch 6500, but external pockets are easily attached/detached (which is why I use it for the home kit - modularity).   It's almost as comfortable over the long-haul as the Mystery Ranch and Kifaru backs up their packs 100%.

The Lowe-Alpine packs are very durable commercial packs, but Lowe has a VERY long tradition of packs being used in the military (I still have one of the original, special-run Lowe Vector packs with built-in rapelling harness).    They have packs that run the full gamut of size ranges.

The down side of the commercial Lowe packs is that it's a little more difficult to attach external pouches, but this is easily fixed with some basic hardware such as fastex buckles and some ingenuity.

Hope it helps.

The Professor

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »
Thanks a lot for the information. I'll look in that direction also.