Author Topic: 30 Day "Bug-In" Checklist  (Read 41823 times)

homeshow

Re: 30 Day "Bug-In" Checklist
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 10:22:09 AM »
i had to bug-in for 2 days with no power due to sever thunderstorms and local tornados.  my cabin has an electic stove. i have a coleman dual fuel camp stove.  it rocks.  and i have the propane converter for $18.00  so i use the propane in the house with small windows cracked.  the gasoline fuel outside.  the neighbors were worried about losing meat from their freezer.  most of my meat is jerky (biltong) and jarred up as stew meat or chili.  i had to heat water on the camp stove for my shaving and shower.  all in all it really beats sleeping in a shelter 1/2 durring a hurricane in 4" of rain. ;D

Offline Klonus

• Survivor
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 05:41:59 PM »
Where are the condoms???

Just kidding, looks good so far.

You can also make balloon animals to pass the time lol.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »
i have a coleman dual fuel camp stove.  it rocks.  and i have the propane converter for $18.00  so i use the propane in the house with small windows cracked.

Homeshow, I know you know this so please don't think I'm preachin' atcha.  But this is the second message in a row where someone mentions using either a stove or a propane heater in an enclosed space.  Yes, I see both you and GD mentioned the ventilation requirement and took the appropriate measures to prevent CO poisoning.  BUT, you can call it "Murphy", or you can attribute it to "shit happens", or the kids got cold and closed the window (as told to St. Peter at the Pearly Gates no doubt...), and it really doesn't matter how it happens, but for whatever/however reason should that vent get closed off, snowed over, polar bear poops it closed, whatever...

For $30.00 you can buy a CO alarm just about anywhere that will awaken the dead with it's ear piercing horn IF whatever happens, and you start building up dangerous levels of CO (Carbon Monoxide).  Very cheap insurance in any type of BO shelter or vehicle.  You and GD are most definitely worth more than $30.00 to all of us here and I know your families place an even greater value on you too.

So for anyone considering ANY type of BO shelter, spend the $30.00, and make sure you and yours see the next sunrise together.

Tim.

PS:  I'm going to copy and paste this to GD's message about his 505 Project and swap the names around a little.

IdahoJohn

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 08:07:56 PM »
A really cool idea I saw once for the whole hygiene thing is to keep one of those pump up weed sprayers around (obviously never used) that you can use for showers.  Baby wipes are a great way too, but if you want a shower and don't want to use a lot of water, the weed sprayers are great.  I'm adding one to mine too.  Mostly it would be good for a bug-in situation since size is an issue. 

Any ideas for storing fuel for a college student in a small apartment ? ? ?   Not sure how safe keeping 50 gal of gas is in an apartment?   ???

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 11:23:16 AM »
Homeshow, I know you know this so please don't think I'm preachin' atcha.  But this is the second message in a row where someone mentions using either a stove or a propane heater in an enclosed space.  Yes, I see both you and GD mentioned the ventilation requirement and took the appropriate measures to prevent CO poisoning.  BUT, you can call it "Murphy", or you can attribute it to "shit happens", or the kids got cold and closed the window (as told to St. Peter at the Pearly Gates no doubt...), and it really doesn't matter how it happens, but for whatever/however reason should that vent get closed off, snowed over, polar bear poops it closed, whatever...

For $30.00 you can buy a CO alarm just about anywhere that will awaken the dead with it's ear piercing horn IF whatever happens, and you start building up dangerous levels of CO (Carbon Monoxide).  Very cheap insurance in any type of BO shelter or vehicle.  You and GD are most definitely worth more than $30.00 to all of us here and I know your families place an even greater value on you too.

So for anyone considering ANY type of BO shelter, spend the $30.00, and make sure you and yours see the next sunrise together.

Tim.

PS:  I'm going to copy and paste this to GD's message about his 505 Project and swap the names around a little.

While you are right about the camp stove needing ventilation (do your cooking outside if at all possible) you can get catalitic propane heaters which do not give off CO2 and are safe for use indoors.  They tend to be more expensive (a small one probably costs about $50) but they are safer and work well.

-Brian

Offline minimalist

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 12:42:08 PM »
It seems like if you added some quantity of flour and some cooking oil, and perhaps a few other items like baking soda, you would certainly expand the food you could make by baking.

Offline GotFurryKids

• Prepper
    • Smith & Werder, Inc
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 09:49:54 PM »
I see you have medication on your list, but you should also have medical supplies and a good first aid kit.
If there is a chance that you might get shot be sure to have some Quick Clot or Hem Con on hand,  it could save your life. 

Holmes

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 07:14:15 PM »
Beer.   ;D
You may need supplies beyond basic 1st aide.  Such as scapal, lots of 4x4 gauze, lots of tape, and remember your body will heal.  It is designed to do that, but you need to kill all competition such as bacteria and other infectors.  Soap and iodine.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:17:59 PM by Holmes »

sarahluker

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 07:36:58 PM »
If you keep cans of broth they are great for cooking and save your water.  Juice packs do the same for baking.  Also maybe some powdered milk or canned milk.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »
Reading/listening material.

Books include the Bible, light reading, survival books. 

I keep those "old" CDs because there might not be any iTunes.  Now that's a primitive situation.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2009, 06:22:23 PM »
Heavy G, saying those old cd's cracks me up. That is all I have. I don't have an ipod or mp3. In fact some of the movies I watch are still VHS!!!

sarahluker

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »
Mamabear, I'm with you on that.  I do have an mp3 on my phone but cant get the license for the music straight.  I look for vhs tapes and have bought vcr's at goodwill for 4.99.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2009, 07:23:44 PM »
Where are the condoms???

yes....chocolate & tampons are a must....some of us (women) really are simple humans...... :D

Amen on the condoms. Men are even simpler human beings . . . . .         ;D

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2009, 12:57:14 AM »
Something to consider, speaking of VHS and CD...

VHS has one advantage I can think of.  You can get up to 6 hours of play time on a VHS.  This means you can record 6-8 CD's onto one tape...  Though you are probably better off space wise to just have the discs as they take less space.  My concern for either format is whether you are really going to spend the backup power driving one.  I think if you can get a good quality portable cd player it would be good for entertainment. 

-Brian

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2009, 05:17:13 AM »
Puk, i actually do have cd's and dvd's. I just have a lot of old vhs tapes that I still enjoy watching. I even bought vhs after dvd's came out because they wew cheaper. I also have a portable player that will play dvd movies, cd's with music and it will also display jpeg(it's great for my trips!). I do not, however have a computer or anything else at home that works to burn cd's or dvd's. So i just play my old vhs tapes. I would prefer all my movies to be transferred, but that's another story. My son has an mp3. I just listen to the radio, so I figure i'm good.

homeshow

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2009, 06:21:47 AM »
cookbooks and canning supplies.  just incase the power goes out.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2009, 06:04:15 AM »
Some kind of small craft to work on would be good.  Some handsewing, small handcarving, something like that to pass the time.

Offline Fusilier

• Prepper
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009, 12:06:21 PM »
If you have pets, and you're not planning on using them for protein, don't forget pet food. Dried bulk food lasts well if you keep it stored away from pests.

Fusilier

Offline Komodo

• Survivor
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009, 02:40:45 PM »
I'd add
- strike anywhere matches
- cookware (cast iron or something else that would handle camp stove, grill, or open fire)
- more spices, like black pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic (in oil in a jar, dried, or as powder)
- a jar of Parmesan cheese

Offline Fusilier

• Prepper
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2009, 02:51:57 PM »
Some kind of small craft to work on would be good. 

Around here 'a small craft to work on' means a row boat that needs fixing up.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Fusilier

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2011, 09:06:10 PM »
Stumbled across this calculator while reading up Long Term Food Storage. It will calculate the amount of food and water you'll need for a given number of people I think for 1 year but I could be wrong. The Mormon church has a lot of resources on food storage and I think is worth the read.

Anyways as part of the list a calculator like this would be awesome.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:42 AM »
*bump*

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 12:56:01 PM »
A note on the candles, I don't have very many traditional straight candles, but when we have a few extra dollars we swing by the dollar store and pick up the candles that come in a glass tube like Catholics use for a dollar each.  If they tip over the flame is inside the glass and adds a little extra safety.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »
We also have a lot of tea candles

Offline TuyHoaPete67

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2017, 06:29:34 PM »
I appreciate the list, sounds like a very good start.  I am too old to bug out and too many obstacles (Zombies, or whatever) between here and there?  I was reading through several "Prepper" sites today and was  thinking that perhaps. I need to develop a plan to protect  us right where we are: end of a private (dirt) road, 1 neighbor who is a gun nut, vacant land of the other 2 sides and a big lake behind the house.  I have a lot of the provisions you outlined but the 50 gals of treated gas got me to thinking about what else to add...seems you missed the solar options for power and of course you did not mention beer, wine and spirits  ;D.  Also, in my situation being somewhat isolated does have some drawbacks.   I am concerned about perimeter security, while razor wire and claymores are an idea, the UPS guy might be a little "put off" by that.  Video uses too much power, fencing will only really stop someone who is not determined and the lake front is a conundrum.
Anyway, my first visit to your forum, very informative.  I enjoyed the back and forth from everyone.   

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2017, 06:56:26 PM »
THP67, welcome aboard, and feel free to jump in with questions or discussion.  While you're at it, stop by the Front Porch board (http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=77.0) and introduce yourself.  Sounds like you may have some interesting tales to tell.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2017, 01:20:47 PM »
Yes, good thread I haven't seen before.

We too are *buggin* in.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »
We are bugging in, unless one of my large 'neighbors' blows it's top.... again

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2017, 08:26:25 AM »
  I would not leave a perfectly good shelter...unless I had to,then it is off to the BOL with the large list of supplies.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2017, 08:47:29 PM »
No mentioned coffee and a french press.  These two things make my husband a much happier man during a power outage.

A ringer bucket and a clothes line  or drying rack can be used to hand wash clothing when the power is out. 

Various OTC meds.  I hate getting sick and having to drive to the drug store because I need cough syrup or other medicines that I can easily stock up on before hand.